• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Catholic bishops call for united Easter holiday across churches

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Would Orthodox favor a united Easter holiday? One date of Easter for all Christian denominations?

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Local-News/2011/Nov-17/154391-catholic-bishops-call-for-united-easter-holiday-across-churches.ashx#axzz1dyT4l9q5

BKIRKI, Lebanon: Catholic bishops in the Orient called Thursday for a common Easter holiday across the Christian churches to boost unity within the religion.

The exact date of Easter changes from year-to-year based on the movement of the moon, and is determined using different calendars by the Eastern Orthodox and Western Christian churches.

The call came at the end of a conference of the Council of Catholic Patriarchs of the Orient which kicked off in Bkirki Monday.

Participants at the conference under Maronite Patriarch Beshara Rai discussed means to implement the recommendations of a Synod convened last year that focused on the situation of Christians in the Levant.

Among the recommendations was “a serious attempt to unite the Easter Holiday for all churches and to find ways of guaranteeing the implementation of this urgent request by all Christians, especially in our Eastern countries, just as is the case in Egypt, Jordan and Palestine.”


Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Local-News/2011/Nov-17/154391-catholic-bishops-call-for-united-easter-holiday-across-churches.ashx#ixzz1et7HloCh
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)
 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
Um, no, it's not "different calenders" that makes for a different date between the Orthodox Christians and the Roman Catholics.
As in the early church AND now the Orthodox Christians (Eastern) the moon situation must happen + Seder has to happen=Pascha date.  
Christ is the New Convenant, the New Testament.  Holding Easter/Pascha before Seder has happened just doesn't make sense in the New Testament sense.  Christ was killed after the Seder, to hold Easter before Seder happens, well, it just doesn't fit biblically.
ok, so yes, I think the fact that we use the julian calender for Easter determination of course will effect the difference between RCC and EO, so factor that into the equation above.
 

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
irenikontheskete.blogspot.com
username! said:
Um, no, it's not "different calenders" that makes for a different date between the Orthodox Christians and the Roman Catholics.
As in the early church AND now the Orthodox Christians (Eastern) the moon situation must happen + Seder has to happen=Pascha date.  
Christ is the New Convenant, the New Testament.  Holding Easter/Pascha before Seder has happened just doesn't make sense in the New Testament sense.  Christ was killed after the Seder, to hold Easter before Seder happens, well, it just doesn't fit biblically.
ok, so yes, I think the fact that we use the julian calender for Easter determination of course will effect the difference between RCC and EO, so factor that into the equation above.
Please don't deride me as others do here but I don't have a reference for this but Pope Benedict has said that we should do this and follow the Orthodox reckoning.  I've tested that idea out on other Catholics and they go crazy.  But if we are to do it at all that is the way it must be done.  Pope Benedict is correct on this.  His Curia most likely reacted as my acquaintances reacted.  Pity.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity? It doesn't, because the RCC and the Protestants have some very "interesting" ideas of not only what Pascha means but what happened on Pascha.  Why celebrate an event on the same day which has thousands of different interpretations and implications for doctrine and dogma.  Keep the RCC and Protestants out of EO Pascha.
 

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
5,090
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
It's not a matter of it being "EO pascha"... it is a matter of the fact that the way we determine the date of Pascha is per early church instruction.  Don't feel like this is a new issue between the Church of Rome and the Church of Constantinople.. The west has sort of gone wibbly-wobbly on the Easter date since the early days of Christianity.  Read a simple early church history book, they usually discuss this in the first one or two chapters. So really the roman cc and the EO top dogs aren't really showing any emotions that are new towards this issue :)
 

Apples

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
4,360
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Is the Western Easter calculated the same way as Pascha except on the Gregorian calendar or is there some other difference?
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
scamandrius said:
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity? It doesn't, because the RCC and the Protestants have some very "interesting" ideas of not only what Pascha means but what happened on Pascha.  Why celebrate an event on the same day which has thousands of different interpretations and implications for doctrine and dogma.  Keep the RCC and Protestants out of EO Pascha.
*sigh*

I dunno even where to begin here . . .
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
William said:
Is the Western Easter calculated the same way as Pascha except on the Gregorian calendar or is there some other difference?
My understanding is that the west does not take into account when the Jewish Passover falls, whereas we do, for reasons that username mentioned.
 

Melodist

Archon
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
38
elijahmaria said:
Please don't deride me as others do here but I don't have a reference for this but Pope Benedict has said that we should do this and follow the Orthodox reckoning.
Interesting.

scamandrius said:
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity?
Because celebrating it on different days foster disunity. Look at the debates caused within and schisms from Orthodoxy over the adoption of the new calendar which still celebrates Pascha on the same day.

This move by itself would be incredibly far from bringing Rome back into Communion with Orthodoxy, but would be a step. Any step taken by Rome that brings it closer to us should be welcomed as a step closer to regaining our seperated brothers.

And to be honest, I'm not really that fond of dogmatically basing our calculations for Pascha off of a calendar developed within a tradition that has spent the last 2,000 years calling our Creator a blaspheming heretic. Just my opinion, either way it is a feast of the Church and I will celebrate it with the Church when our bishops call for it to be celebrated.

Just my opinion.
 

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
5,392
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
38
Location
Wichita, KS
scamandrius said:
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity? It doesn't, because the RCC and the Protestants have some very "interesting" ideas of not only what Pascha means but what happened on Pascha.  Why celebrate an event on the same day which has thousands of different interpretations and implications for doctrine and dogma.  Keep the RCC and Protestants out of EO Pascha.
Ya external unity like matching easter dates doesn't really mean much in the whole scheme of thing.
 

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Northern California
Website
sites.google.com
Ortho_cat said:
scamandrius said:
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity? It doesn't, because the RCC and the Protestants have some very "interesting" ideas of not only what Pascha means but what happened on Pascha.  Why celebrate an event on the same day which has thousands of different interpretations and implications for doctrine and dogma.  Keep the RCC and Protestants out of EO Pascha.
Ya external unity like matching easter dates doesn't really mean much in the whole scheme of thing.
True, but it doesn't hurt.  :D

I am for the various Catholic Churches adopting the Orthodox date for Easter.
 

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
5,392
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
38
Location
Wichita, KS
oh i misread the op. if they want to celebrate easter on our day, thats fine with me :) better they come around late than never...
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I honestly don't have a problem celebrating Easter according to the EO calendar. It is certainly one of the concessions on our part that need not affect the substance of the faith.
 

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Melodist said:
And to be honest, I'm not really that fond of dogmatically basing our calculations for Pascha off of a calendar developed within a tradition that has spent the last 2,000 years calling our Creator a blaspheming heretic.
I don't think it is, the way it is calculated is the way Jews used to calculate Passover but they have changed it sometime in the past 2000 years I think. So "done the way the Jews do it" doesn't mean the way Maimonides or a modern Rabbi would do it.
 

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
0
Points
36
scamandrius said:
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity? It doesn't, because the RCC and the Protestants have some very "interesting" ideas of not only what Pascha means but what happened on Pascha.  Why celebrate an event on the same day which has thousands of different interpretations and implications for doctrine and dogma.  Keep the RCC and Protestants out of EO Pascha.
Thousands of different interpretations sounds like a lot of different interpretations. Is there a list somewhere of the thousands of different implications and thousands of different interpretations of Easter?
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
49
Location
Portland, Oregon
William said:
Is the Western Easter calculated the same way as Pascha except on the Gregorian calendar or is there some other difference?
One of the differences is that the Eastern Church adopted a 19-year Paschal cycle, while the Western Church adopted an 84-year cycle. What that difference means specifically, I don't know.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
49
Location
Portland, Oregon
username! said:
Um, no, it's not "different calenders" that makes for a different date between the Orthodox Christians and the Roman Catholics.
As in the early church AND now the Orthodox Christians (Eastern) the moon situation must happen + Seder has to happen=Pascha date.  
Christ is the New Convenant, the New Testament.  Holding Easter/Pascha before Seder has happened just doesn't make sense in the New Testament sense.  Christ was killed after the Seder, to hold Easter before Seder happens, well, it just doesn't fit biblically.
ok, so yes, I think the fact that we use the julian calender for Easter determination of course will effect the difference between RCC and EO, so factor that into the equation above.
But what do you make of the fact that even today's Jews don't follow the method for scheduling their Passover that they followed in the earliest Christian centuries?
 

Cavaradossi

Archon
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
2,036
Reaction score
2
Points
38
username! said:
Papist said:
I honestly don't have a problem celebrating Easter according to the EO calendar. It is certainly one of the concessions on our part that need not affect the substance of the faith.
The holy fire in jerusalem happens on EO Pascha
So basically, the holy fire is like magic. Get the day right, be the right bishop, be in the right tomb, and say the right prayers.  For some reason, I doubt it works like this.
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Missouri, USA
Cavaradossi said:
username! said:
Papist said:
I honestly don't have a problem celebrating Easter according to the EO calendar. It is certainly one of the concessions on our part that need not affect the substance of the faith.
The holy fire in jerusalem happens on EO Pascha
So basically, the holy fire is like magic. Get the day right, be the right bishop, be in the right tomb, and say the right prayers.  For some reason, I doubt it works like this.
I think he just means that you have to get the faith right.
 

Cavaradossi

Archon
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
2,036
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Alveus Lacuna said:
Cavaradossi said:
username! said:
Papist said:
I honestly don't have a problem celebrating Easter according to the EO calendar. It is certainly one of the concessions on our part that need not affect the substance of the faith.
The holy fire in jerusalem happens on EO Pascha
So basically, the holy fire is like magic. Get the day right, be the right bishop, be in the right tomb, and say the right prayers.  For some reason, I doubt it works like this.
I think he just means that you have to get the faith right.
In which case I agree. But if he means that the day on which Easter occurs is a factor which affects whether the Holy Fire will happen or not, then I would have to disagree.
 

Melodist

Archon
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
38
Cavaradossi said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
Cavaradossi said:
username! said:
Papist said:
I honestly don't have a problem celebrating Easter according to the EO calendar. It is certainly one of the concessions on our part that need not affect the substance of the faith.
The holy fire in jerusalem happens on EO Pascha
So basically, the holy fire is like magic. Get the day right, be the right bishop, be in the right tomb, and say the right prayers.  For some reason, I doubt it works like this.
I think he just means that you have to get the faith right.
In which case I agree. But if he means that the day on which Easter occurs is a factor which affects whether the Holy Fire will happen or not, then I would have to disagree.
I think it's a gift, not a timing mechanism. We've been celebrating Pascha longer than we've had the holy fire or a Church built over Christ's tomb.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
orthonorm said:
scamandrius said:
How does celebrating Pascha on the same day foster unity? It doesn't, because the RCC and the Protestants have some very "interesting" ideas of not only what Pascha means but what happened on Pascha.  Why celebrate an event on the same day which has thousands of different interpretations and implications for doctrine and dogma.  Keep the RCC and Protestants out of EO Pascha.
*sigh*

I dunno even where to begin here . . .
Do you favor a common date?  sigh
 
Top