• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Catholic Church Music

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Athanasios said:
Here is a question for the Orthodox posters:

If you could take one hymn or chant from the treasury of Latin Catholic sacred music and use it in the Divine Liturgy at your church ... which one would it be?
As a former RC I always loved the 'Pange Lingua' , also 'Holy God we praise Thy Name' sung during Benediction.  I wonder if they still celebrate Benediction? Its a beautiful Service.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Papist said:
Bad Church music is one of the reasons I often find myself attending the local Byzantine Catholic Church.
But even bad hymns that is sung from the heart is genuine and worthy of God's attention.
I am Orthodox and even we have some sour notes now and then but we show our prayers in the form of singing and I know that God is listening.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
JoeS2 said:
Athanasios said:

If you could take one hymn or chant from the treasury of Latin Catholic sacred music and use it in the Divine Liturgy at your church ... which one would it be?
As a former RC I always loved the 'Pange Lingua' , also 'Holy God we praise Thy Name' sung during Benediction.  I wonder if they still celebrate Benediction? Its a beautiful Service.
Yes, Benediction usually marks the end of a Holy Hour when parishes do that.

I wouldn't mix rites, but the Sequences from the Roman Rite for Easter, Pentecost (Veni Creator Spiritus), Requiem Mass (Dies Irae) and the Stabat Mater which I forgot which Mass it is for, are quite impressive.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
wynd said:
Athanasios said:
Probably the best Catholic Hymnal today is the Adoremus Hymnal.
I prefer this one ;)
You have won the thread  :D
All they had to do was translate that and adapt the melodies! Preferably in the Old Roman style with the restored isons...

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
Justin Kolodziej said:
JoeS2 said:
Athanasios said:

I wouldn't mix rites, but the Sequences from the Roman Rite for Easter, Pentecost (Veni Creator Spiritus), Requiem Mass (Dies Irae) and the Stabat Mater which I forgot which Mass it is for, are quite impressive.
Stabat Mater is usually sung at Stations of the Cross, a verse after each station.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
JoeS2 said:
Papist said:
Bad Church music is one of the reasons I often find myself attending the local Byzantine Catholic Church.
But even bad hymns that is sung from the heart is genuine and worthy of God's attention.
I am Orthodox and even we have some sour notes now and then but we show our prayers in the form of singing and I know that God is listening.
Here's a fun 1970s hymn still sung in Roman Churches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kI7dy2W9oc&spfreload=5

byhisgrace

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Do RC parishes still sing Mozart's Requiem?

(link removed - LS)

Because I like it.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
byhisgrace said:

(link removed - LS)

Because I like it.
It's a Pony Kind of Christmas: We Wish You a Merry Christmas ??? Quite different from the Requiem.

byhisgrace

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Oh shoot! Wrong video! Sorry. LOL

Mozart's Requiem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII

Dominika, can you please delete my last post?

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
Justin Kolodziej said:
JoeS2 said:
Athanasios said:

Stabat Mater is the sequence for September 15, the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the BVM. It was suppressed after Trent but restored shortly thereafter. There used to be a second feast of the Seven Sorrows on the Friday before Holy Week; I'm not sure if the sequence was used then as well.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
byhisgrace said:

Mozart's Requiem:

I'm not able to do it, you have to PM the moderator of this section or the global one.

MalpanaGiwargis said:
Justin Kolodziej said:
JoeS2 said:
Athanasios said:

Stabat Mater is the sequence for September 15, the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the BVM. It was suppressed after Trent but restored shortly thereafter. There used to be a second feast of the Seven Sorrows on the Friday before Holy Week; I'm not sure if the sequence was used then as well.
I thought Stabat Mater is the sequence of the Holy Friday? It's still done here on this day, but usually not before the Gospel.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
byhisgrace said:

(Link removed - LS)

Because I like it.
Amazing.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I've liked everything I've heard from the San Antonio Vocal Arts Ensemble, personally.

Seasonally: La Noche Buena

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
Dominika said:
byhisgrace said:

Mozart's Requiem:

I'm not able to do it, you have to PM the moderator of this section or the global one.

MalpanaGiwargis said:
Justin Kolodziej said:
JoeS2 said:
Athanasios said:

I thought Stabat Mater is the sequence of the Holy Friday? It's still done here on this day, but usually not before the Gospel.
It is used devotionally that day in many places, but not prescribed by the rubrics. In that case it isn't really a sequence, but just a hymn. The only days with a sequence are Easter, Pentecost, Corpus Christi, and the Seven Sorrows. In the traditional rite, All Souls and the Requiem Masses have Dies Irae, but that was removed in the Novus Ordo. The 2002 edition of the Missal for some reason moved the place of the sequence from immediately before the Gospel to before the Alleluia; they are also only mandatory in the Novus Ordo on Easter and Pentecost.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
lubeltri said:
Hi Tina,

This book is an excellent read. It has become a classic, the definitive book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Catholics-Cant-Sing-Catholicism/dp/0824511530

I have this book somewhere. A Catholic friend gave it to me a while ago. I need to find it.

Selam

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Croatian songs to st. Nicholas (happy feast, btw!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mSwaVN8GLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKou6j2_Op4

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

Cidalia73

Reaction score
Reminds me of the irritation I felt upon hearing the opening song at the Mass for my daughter's confirmation: One Love, by Bob Marley.  :mad:

My fellow friends didn't understand why I was upset about it.  Clearly they don't understand the importance and solemnity of Mass.  At least, how it should be.  They are products of modernism.

This Sunday, I will be attending an Orthodox Liturgy (moving towards converting).  At least my ears won't be assaulted with pop music during a reverent occasion.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
byhisgrace said:
RaphaCam said:
byhisgrace said:

Mozart's Requiem:

*Picture snipped*
Seriously, does Mozart's Requiem play in any Latin mass, whether contemporary or traditional?
Well, for the All Souls Day mass at National Cathedral they used the Durufle requiem. Oh wait-- they're Episcopalians, so no problems with having good music. :p

jwinch2

Reaction score
Keble said:
Well, for the All Souls Day mass at National Cathedral they used the Durufle requiem. Oh wait-- they're Episcopalians, so no problems with having good music. :p
Funny, and not entirely untrue either. 
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/unformat.gif
Thankfully, I go to an Ordinariate Parish so I get great music all the time.  It definitely was not that way at previous parishes.

Of course, traditional Roman Catholics have beautiful music as well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjNevd2gXs  The linked is from the Benedictine Congregation of Solesmes, which has my favorite take on Gregorian Chant. 

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
jwinch2 said:
Keble said:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/unformat.gif
Thankfully, I go to an Ordinariate Parish so I get great music all the time.
ex-Episcopalians? Cheating.

jwinch2

Reaction score
Keble said:
jwinch2 said:
Keble said:
Thankfully, I go to an Ordinariate Parish so I get great music all the time.
ex-Episcopalians? Cheating.
I think you mean "winning".  And they have been Catholic for over 30 years now.  The irony is that one of the few places in the Archdiocese where one does not find the Cramner table is in the parish which founded the Anglican Use in the Catholic Church.    ;D

byhisgrace

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Mass of Christ the Savior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OWTbmuRE8

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Athanasios said:
There is one hymn called "Gather Us In" that is popular for the Processional. One line in it says "give us the courage to enter the song" -- how smart to pray for courage to belt out this drivel.
Gather Us In (Latin)

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
Honestly, I have the fondest memories of some Catholic hymns, like "Gentle Woman," "Stabat Mater," and "Though the Mountains May Fall."

Although I do have a preference for the Latin high mass if we are talking Roman Catholic liturgy, I still have a fondness for these Novus Ordo songs which can be moving in English.

However, out of all the Roman hymns which I have heard throughout my whole life  - my personal favorite is still the Gregorian Kyrie Eleison in Roman Catholic liturgy.

Here is one rendition of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXWqvgQPDrw

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
I think the chants at the Requiem Mass and the Office of the Dead are my favorites in the Gregorian repertoire. My favorite of all is the antiphon Ego Sum Resurrectio et Vita ("I am the Resurrection and Life"), sung with the Canticle of Zechariah at Lauds of the Dead and by the priest at the graveside.

Also, In Paradisum.