• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Catholic farmer banned from farmer's market

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/05/31/city-cant-sell-blueberries-unless-affirm-gay-marriage.html
...city officials told the devout Catholic family that their blueberries and sweet corn were not welcome at the farmer’s market – and neither were they.

Last year, someone posted a message on Country Mill’s Facebook page inquiring about whether they hosted same-sex weddings at the farm.

Tennes told the individual they did not permit same-sex marriages on the farm because of the family’s Catholic belief that marriage is a sacramental union between one man and one woman.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Why would someone want to marry somewhere where the owners knowingly disapprove their marriage, or, as in other cases, why would someone marry eating a cake done by someone who knowingly disapproves the whole thing? I don't think people would be so cold, maybe they just want to externalise their inner issues messing with the lives of someone who symbolises their frustration.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
RaphaCam said:
Why would someone want to marry somewhere where the owners knowingly disapprove their marriage,
Obviously, they didn't know whether the venue disapproved or not, hence the asking.

RaphaCam said:
or, as in other cases, why would someone marry eating a cake done by someone who knowingly disapproves the whole thing?
See above. Also, why would the caterers' opinion - as opposed to business practice - matter?

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/05/31/city-cant-sell-blueberries-unless-affirm-gay-marriage.html
...city officials told the devout Catholic family that their blueberries and sweet corn were not welcome at the farmer’s market – and neither were they.

Last year, someone posted a message on Country Mill’s Facebook page inquiring about whether they hosted same-sex weddings at the farm.

Tennes told the individual they did not permit same-sex marriages on the farm because of the family’s Catholic belief that marriage is a sacramental union between one man and one woman.
It is sad and concerning how anti-christian culture and policies are making its way in government and mainstream media.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Arachne said:
Obviously, they didn't know whether the venue disapproved or not, hence the asking.
And still they sought to enforce it, and then sue/boycott them.

Arachne said:
why would the caterers' opinion - as opposed to business practice - matter?
Maybe I'm too Latin to think this is normal for something as intimate as a wedding. Ugh, imagine eating a wedding cake you had to fill a lawsuit for.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
There's no indication that the prospective clients sought to enforce anything, or that they sued the farm. They may have alerted City officials to the case, but that's about it, as far as we know.

RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
why would the caterers' opinion - as opposed to business practice - matter?
Maybe I'm too Latin to think this is normal for something as intimate as a wedding. Ugh, imagine eating a wedding cake you had to fill a lawsuit for.
Maybe I'm too hot-headedly Greek, but I have protested practices of businesses I don't even patronise. Sometimes, not letting 'them' treat others the way they treated you feels worth it.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Catholic blueberries suck anyway.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
RaphaCam said:
Why would someone want to marry somewhere where the owners knowingly disapprove their marriage, or, as in other cases, why would someone marry eating a cake done by someone who knowingly disapproves the whole thing? I don't think people would be so cold, maybe they just want to externalise their inner issues messing with the lives of someone who symbolises their frustration.
The Evil One feeds his children on bitterness and gall and calls it sweet.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
There's no indication that the prospective clients sought to enforce anything, or that they sued the farm. They may have alerted City officials to the case, but that's about it, as far as we know.
The farm in question isn't even in the city limits, only the market they wish to sell at. If say they refused to sell blueberries to gay couple at the market that would be different.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Bob2 said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
The farm in question isn't even in the city limits, only the market they wish to sell at. If say they refused to sell blueberries to gay couple at the market that would be different.
The City reaction seems definitely irrational, but we don't have enough information either way.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
There's no indication that the prospective clients sought to enforce anything, or that they sued the farm.
I'm referring to other analogous cases, such as this one: http://aclu-co.org/court-rules-bakery-illegally-discriminated-against-gay-couple/

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
RaphaCam said:
Why would someone want to marry somewhere where the owners knowingly disapprove their marriage, or, as in other cases, why would someone marry eating a cake done by someone who knowingly disapproves the whole thing?
"Evangelisation."

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Arachne said:
Bob2 said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
The City reaction seems definitely irrational, but we don't have enough information either way.
No, we do.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Arachne said:
Yeah, as far I as understood, the family was forbidden of selling their products in the city farmer's market because they don't allow gay couples to perform a marriage cerimony in their farm, wich is the family's private property. It seems clearly to me that the municipal government is being authoritarian in this case, it is alligning with a radical gay militant agenda to boycot and persecute people that doesnt agree with them.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
Why would someone want to marry somewhere where the owners knowingly disapprove their marriage,

RaphaCam said:
or, as in other cases, why would someone marry eating a cake done by someone who knowingly disapproves the whole thing?
See above. Also, why would the caterers' opinion - as opposed to business practice - matter?
it was their belief
Business practice like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5WaNio9Cx8

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
ialmisry said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:

RaphaCam said:
it was their belief
I'll believe that when their belief stops them from catering/hosting any wedding that doesn't fit their definition.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
City shouldn't have allowed farm/barn/outdoor weddings in the first place.
Why not? Whats wrong with that?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Arachne said:
ialmisry said:
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:

RaphaCam said:
it was their belief
I'll believe that when their belief stops them from catering/hosting any wedding that doesn't fit their definition.
Certainly not when it's the right one.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Arachne said:
I'm confused. You have evidence they were marrying men to animals, or something?

Also, why would the caterers' opinion - as opposed to business practice - matter?
Human beings, in whom belief is inherent, by the way, are of vastly more worth than any business theory. To say otherwise is just cruel contempt from humans who fancy themselves, I don't know, gods or robots, certainly above their fellowman.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Porter ODoran said:
Arachne said:
I'm confused. You have evidence they were marrying men to animals, or something?
Is that the only combo you can think of that doesn't fit the 'sacramental marriage between a man and a woman' designation?

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Arachne said:
Porter ODoran said:
Arachne said:
Is that the only combo you can think of that doesn't fit the 'sacramental marriage between a man and a woman' designation?
All other possibilities are currently illegal in America: bigamy, polygamy, and minors.  And so far practitioners and activists for any of these are either (mostly) quiet or nonexistent. 
Or are we talking Catholic vs. non-Catholic marriages?  I do wonder if they would have rejected a request to host a Muslim marriage ceremony (as unlikely as a request would be to begin with).

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Blueberries are not gender-fluid and sexually open.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
Arachne said:
Porter ODoran said:
Arachne said:
All other possibilities are currently illegal in America: bigamy, polygamy, and minors.  And so far practitioners and activists for any of these are either (mostly) quiet or nonexistent.
There are plenty of legal loopholes to get underage girls (overwhelmingly) married. There are more states without a rigid age limit beneath which marriage is absolutely impossible than with one.

Ainnir said:
Or are we talking Catholic vs. non-Catholic marriages?  I do wonder if they would have rejected a request to host a Muslim marriage ceremony (as unlikely as a request would be to begin with).
If they want to stick to their self-imposed 'sacramental' clause, they'd have to allow only Catholic and Orthodox weddings, since marriage is not a sacrament in Protestantism. A Muslim ceremony would be indeed unlikely to come their way; a Jewish one or a Pagan handfasting could be plausible. And then there are civil weddings, interfaith weddings, secular weddings, none of which is in the same zip code as 'sacramental', but that doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker either.

sestir

Bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Arachne said:
If they want to stick to their self-imposed 'sacramental' clause, they'd have to allow only Catholic and Orthodox weddings, since marriage is not a sacrament in Protestantism.
How would their opinion that marriage is a sacrament prevent them from hosting a marriage between protestants? Does the fact that marriage is a sacrament impose restrictions of the programme, vestments and/or statements?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Arachne said:
If they want to stick to their self-imposed 'sacramental' clause, they'd have to allow only Catholic and Orthodox weddings, since marriage is not a sacrament in Protestantism.
In this case, I think what matters is how Catholics view Protestant marriages, not what Protestants believe about their marriages.  IIRC, if two Protestants marry and divorce, and one of them wants to re-marry to a Catholic, the Protestant marriage still has to be processed through a Catholic marriage tribunal in order to determine nullity before a Catholic wedding may proceed.  Catholics don't just look at the previous Protestant marriage as something that happened outside their bounds and therefore invalid for their purposes.  So it seems that Catholics are likely to consider Protestant marriages sacramental even if Protestants don't. 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Mor Ephrem said:
Arachne said:
In this case, I think what matters is how Catholics view Protestant marriages, not what Protestants believe about their marriages.  IIRC, if two Protestants marry and divorce, and one of them wants to re-marry to a Catholic, the Protestant marriage still has to be processed through a Catholic marriage tribunal in order to determine nullity before a Catholic wedding may proceed.  Catholics don't just look at the previous Protestant marriage as something that happened outside their bounds and therefore invalid for their purposes.  So it seems that Catholics are likely to consider Protestant marriages sacramental even if Protestants don't.
You're right.  I had a conversation with a friend of mine who happens to be a Latin Catholic priest once, and he said that Protestant marriages are considered to be both sacramental and perfectly valid (until proven otherwise in the usual way a Catholic marriage might be), especially since in the Latin Catholic conception the couple marries each other, the priest does not marry them.  He viewed this as the primary difference between the Latin Catholic conception of marriage on the one hand and the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox view on the other.  If a Catholic guy wanted to marry a divorced Protestant girl, they would indeed have to seek an annulment for the Protestant union.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The thought of a ceremony officiated by a mail-order ULC licentiate being considered sacramental by the RCC has me tickled pink.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Arachne said:
The thought of a ceremony officiated by a mail-order ULC licentiate being considered sacramental by the RCC has me tickled pink.
Then the fact they will marry one of their faithful to a non-Christian - in a church ceremony - should have you tickled purple.  This was the context for my discussion with this priest, by the way.  He was shocked to discover that the Coptic Church wouldn't marry one of our faithful to someone who wasn't Oriental Orthodox.  I was more shocked to discover that the Catholic Church would marry one of theirs to a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, or even an atheist in a church ceremony with a priest!!!  It's not considered a sacrament though (according to my friend) since the non-baptized person cannot receive the sacrament, but it is considered a valid marriage.  To be honest, it doesn't make sense to me.  Then again, I'm not Catholic, so...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Antonious Nikolas said:
Arachne said:
Then the fact they will marry one of their faithful to a non-Christian - in a church ceremony - should have you tickled purple.  This was the context for my discussion with this priest, by the way.  He was shocked to discover that the Coptic Church wouldn't marry one of our faithful to someone who wasn't Oriental Orthodox.  I was more shocked to discover that the Catholic Church would marry one of theirs to a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, or even an atheist in a church ceremony with a priest!!!  It's not considered a sacrament though (according to my friend) since the non-baptized person cannot receive the sacrament, but it is considered a valid marriage.  To be honest, it doesn't make sense to me.  Then again, I'm not Catholic, so...
That's why I mentioned civil, interfaith and secular weddings, further upthread. All those are valid and legally binding, but would require advanced yoga levels of stretching to be considered sacramental. On a par with a same-sex marriage, as a matter of fact.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Arachne said:
That's why I mentioned civil, interfaith and secular weddings, further upthread. All those are valid and legally binding, but would require advanced yoga levels of stretching to be considered sacramental. On a par with a same-sex marriage, as a matter of fact.
Except their quoted post says nothing about sacraments.  Just "union between one man and one woman" rhetoric, at least according to Agabus's link.  I guess you could read sacramental into their "Catholic beliefs," but if they don't read that into it, it doesn't matter if we do.  Also according to that link, this started in August specifically regarding same-sex marriage, on both sides.  The farm refusing to host them, and the city discouraging the farm from selling at the market because of that refusal.  This is all about same-sex marriage, not Catholic marriage.  The question is, can a venue in America rightfully refuse to host a same-sex ceremony on religious grounds?  This city says no.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
Arachne said:
Except their quoted post says nothing about sacraments.  Just "union between one man and one woman" rhetoric, at least according to Agabus's link.  I guess you could read sacramental into their "Catholic beliefs," but if they don't read that into it, it doesn't matter if we do.  Also according to that link, this started in August specifically regarding same-sex marriage, on both sides.  The farm refusing to host them, and the city discouraging the farm from selling at the market because of that refusal.  This is all about same-sex marriage, not Catholic marriage.  The question is, can a venue in America rightfully refuse to host a same-sex ceremony on religious grounds?  This city says no.
The piece linked in the OP states:

Might be misquoted, might not; I just took it at face value, rather than go dig through the FB page to find the actual post.

Problem here is that the reaction makes absolutely no sense. Assuming that the farm falls under city jurisdiction (not sure), an appropriate reaction could have been revoking their wedding venue licence. Banning them from the market only creates a precedent that will come back to bite the officials.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Antonious Nikolas said:
Arachne said:
It boils down to being able to have sex without incurring mortal sin. 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I was using the article Agabus linked for reference, not the OP link.
The tiff between Tennes and the city revolves around Tennes’ decision to refer same-sex couples looking for a wedding venue to neighboring farms.
Tennes announced in August he would not schedule any more wedding ceremonies at the orchard because of push-back that followed a social media post where he explained his refusal to host same-sex ceremonies.
After the August post, East Lansing urged Tennes not to attend the next farmers market for fear of protests, according to the lawsuit. Tennes continued to sell at the market, and no disruptions ensued.
In December, Tennes announced via Facebook that he would resume scheduling weddings at the orchard, while reserving the right to deny a request that would violate his Catholic beliefs.
“It remains our deeply held religious belief that marriage is the union of one man and one woman and Country Mill has the First Amendment Right to express and act upon its beliefs," the post said
The sacramental comment from the Fox article seems to be whatever transpired in August.

I agree the reaction makes no sense.  This part of the business operates completely outside of and independent from the East Lansing farmer's market and city limits.  But this is all the city can do to make their displeasure known, so they did it.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Arachne said:
Problem here is that the reaction makes absolutely no sense. Assuming that the farm falls under city jurisdiction (not sure), an appropriate reaction could have been revoking their wedding venue licence. Banning them from the market only creates a precedent that will come back to bite the officials.
Even then, what happened to freedom of association? It works both ways.

If you go to a lender or guarantor with tattered clothes, you won't get a deal. If you go to a Christian wedding licencee with a person of the same sex, you won't get a deal.