• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Catholic funny!

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Came across this on another message board - a new Catholic rhapsodizing about the Latin Mass she'd just attended - and this line cracked me up!

The really cool thing, though, was that the Kyrie and Agnus Dei were said in Latin.
[bold added by moi!] ;D    ;D    ;D

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I thought that, too, when I was a kid.  :-[ :laugh:

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
theistgal said:
Came across this on another message board - a new Catholic rhapsodizing about the Latin Mass she'd just attended - and this line cracked me up!

The really cool thing, though, was that the Kyrie and Agnus Dei were said in Latin.
[bold added by moi!] ;D    ;D    ;D
btw, I've seen the same thing about the Slavonic DL, about the Kyrie being their favorite Slavonic hymn.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
A lot of people I've met think that the Bible was originally written in Latin and almost everybody is oblivious to the fact that only the "cradle" Romans spoke Latin, while the Empire itself largely spoke Greek as inter-ethinicities language.

Kasatkin fan

High Elder
Reaction score
Back when I was taking Greek in University, our professor (a Spanish Catholic, incidently) made mention of the Kyrie. One of the students piped up and said "Wait, that's Greek?"

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Lol, well you can get the Kyrie and Agnus Dei in "Latin" in more than the traditional Mass. I've been to many Novus Ordos and heard the same. I've even been at a papal Mass in which the whole Ordinary was sung in Greek/Latin, Credo included. Of course we young people are too dumb to understand it, but for some reason that 84-year-old German sitting on the chair of St. Peter seems to think otherwise.  :)

Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
A lot of people I've met think that the Bible was originally written in Latin and almost everybody is oblivious to the fact that only the "cradle" Romans spoke Latin, while the Empire itself largely spoke Greek as inter-ethinicities language.
Father asked the crowd in his homily once what language the first Mass was celebrated in and a bunch of people instantly said, "Latin!"

He corrected them, though. But it was still funny.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
not only the Empire, but Rome itself: it took the North African Pope St. Victor I around 190 to introduce Latin into the Church at Rome, and it wasn't completely Latin until the time of Pope St. Damasus around two centuries later.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
WetCatechumen said:
Fabio Leite said:
Father asked the crowd in his homily once what language the first Mass was celebrated in and a bunch of people instantly said, "Latin!"

He corrected them, though. But it was still funny.
I learned the Polish word for Latin (Łacina wah-chee-nah) when my Polish handiman was insisting that Christ spoke Latin.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
ialmisry said:
I learned the Polish word for Latin (Łacina wah-chee-nah) when my Polish handiman was insisting that Christ spoke Latin.
English does not distinguishes between the sound of cz and ć (or sz and ś, or ż and ź).

Michał

High Elder
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
ialmisry said:
English does not distinguishes between the sound of cz and ć (or sz and ś, or ż and ź).
Still, "wah-chee-nah" is the best way to transcribe the word "łacina" into English.