• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

(Catholic) Sainthood next year for 2 from NY's Mohawk Valley

Reaction score
Sainthood next year for 2 from NY's Mohawk Valley

JANUARY 2, 2012, 12:24 P.M. ET
Associated Press

FONDA, N.Y. — No one making a religious pilgrimage to Catholic shrines in this scenic yet hardscrabble stretch of New York's Mohawk Valley is going to mistake it for Italy. Yet starting next year, the region can boast of being the home of two of the Roman Catholic Church's newest saints.

The Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, a Mohawk Indian, spent most of her life here during the 17th century. About 200 years later and 40 miles to the west, the Blessed Mother Marianne Cope began a religious life that focused on providing medical care in central New York and the Hawaiian islands.

giraffe

Reaction score
One of my daughters is named for Blessed Kateri and ironically, I was just thinking the other day about making a trip sometime this year to the shrine in Fonda, NY. 

Praying that that the RCC comes home to Orthodoxy for my selfish desire for Bl. Kateri to be Orthodox.  ;D

BTW, is there an "official" stance on continuing to honor RC saints after one converts? 

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
It's funny actually. I read a story about a Mohawk chief who converted to orthodoxy. He is from the same tribe as blessed Kateri Tekakwitha. He even tells about her relics which are placed in the village church.

http://www.oodegr.com/english/empeiries/indianos1.htm

giraffe

Reaction score
Ansgar said:
It's funny actually. I read a story about a Mohawk chief who converted to orthodoxy. He is from the same tribe as blessed Kateri Tekakwitha. He even tells about her relics which are placed in the village church.

http://www.oodegr.com/english/empeiries/indianos1.htm
Interesting piece, thank you for sharing it.  I found it heartening that despite the Natives' view that Catholicism was really forced upon them, they still put Blessed Kateri in a place of honor.  In the past, I've read that there is possibly more to her story that is not generally shared, and that it is negative.