• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Change in bylaws for election of new Coptic Pope

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
http://lacopts.org/articles/new-regulations-for-choosing-the-coptic-orthodox-patriarch/

What do you guys think?

Personally I see a lot of pros: no diocesan bishops, every priest and full deacon allowed to vote (expansion of voting base), candidates unable to be nominated if ever nominated before (I read this, but can someone confirm that this is still the case), which stops people with a lifelong dream of becoming Pope trying twice.

However I see some cons: general bishops are still allowed - this rank will become an unhealthy 'training ground' for future Popes; tacit endorsement of the RC model of Pope in that people of all dioceses vote for him, not just his own diocese of Cairo and Alexandria (although the Orthodox ecclesiology of the papacy was stressed in other sections, albeit ineffectual, of the new bylaws.)

Also see: http://tasbeha.org/community/index.php?p=/discussion/15064/change-in-bylaws-for-election-of-new-pope

Stavro

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The battle to return to Orthodox ecclesiology was lost forever when Metropolitan Bachomios appointed General Bishop Tawadrous to the Papacy. It was last chance to reverse the tsounami of heretical ecclesiology in the church that started its first waves in 1928 and became disastrous in 1971.

Now that the bylaws will guarantee that a general bishop will always be selected for the Papacy, and that this Shenoudian introduced rank will always exist in the Church to run errands for the Pope and give him supreme power and influence over fellow bishops, it does not matter whether the bylaws exclude diocesan bishops from the Papacy or allow the whole African continent to vote in the Papal elections.

A heresy remains ugly, regardless of the cosmetics they are trying to bury it under.