• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Chanter's Engolpion

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a chanter's engolpion in either Greek or English/Greek? It would be much appreciated, thank you!

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The term "Engolpion" usually refers to the medallion worn by a bishop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engolpion

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Antonis said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a chanter's engolpion in either Greek or English/Greek? It would be much appreciated, thank you!
This is intriguing.  Can you post a photo of what you are looking for?

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
I probably should have added a note about what a chanter's engolpion is so as not to confuse people. :p

It is not the medallion-shaped ornament that bishops wear around their neck, but rather a handy book for chanters which is essentially an anthology of often-used hymns, typika, etc.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
Antonis said:
This is intriguing.  Can you post a photo of what you are looking for?
Here is an example of one, in plagal four:

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Antonis said:
I probably should have added a note about what a chanter's engolpion is so as not to confuse people. :p

It is not the medallion-shaped ornament that bishops wear around their neck, but rather a handy book for chanters which is essentially an anthology of often-used hymns, typika, etc.
That depends upon what jurisdiction you are in.  The bishop regulates what books are used in his eparchy.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
Antonis said:

That depends upon what jurisdiction you are in.  The bishop regulates what books are used in his eparchy.
I think you misunderstand, father. I am aware of my diocese's regulations, this is simply a place where a chanter could find, for instance, an outline of the Liturgy, the great doxology, the resurrectional apolytikia, the apolytikia and kontakia for great feasts, often-used psalms, etc. It is not a liturgical book in and of itself, but merely an aid to chanters so that they would not have to flip through multiple volumes to find often-used material.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Antonis said:
FatherGiryus said:
Antonis said:

I think you misunderstand, father. I am aware of my diocese's regulations, this is simply a place where a chanter could find, for instance, an outline of the Liturgy, the great doxology, the resurrectional apolytikia, the apolytikia and kontakia for great feasts, often-used psalms, etc. It is not a liturgical book in and of itself, but merely an aid to chanters so that they would not have to flip through multiple volumes to find often-used material.
Yes, but while those are standard in Greek, you asked about Greek and English.  The GOA has varying translations in English, and so he would need to know which English translations are approved by the bishop and which are not.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Interesting. Is it typical to have a different volume for each tone, or are there also single-volume versions? I know the Russian church has a single-volume Obikhod (which STS is producing in English at the end of this year).

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Interesting. Is it typical to have a different volume for each tone, or are there also single-volume versions? I know the Russian church has a single-volume Obikhod (which STS is producing in English at the end of this year).
The engolpia that I have seen in person are not typically in any particular tone, no. The one I showed in that image is kind of peculiar in that it contains musical direction.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Iconodule said:
Back in Greece there's an official reader's & chanter's handbook, apparently a bestseller, according to the publishers. I can hardly hold back the RPG manual references.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Iconodule said:
Back in Greece there's an official reader's & chanter's handbook, apparently a bestseller, according to the publishers. I can hardly hold back the RPG manual references.
Yes, that is the version that I see most commonly used here, too.