• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Chanter's Engolpion

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Does anyone have any recommendations for a chanter's engolpion in either Greek or English/Greek? It would be much appreciated, thank you!
 

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 21, 2006
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
31
Points
48
The term "Engolpion" usually refers to the medallion worn by a bishop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engolpion
 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Antonis said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a chanter's engolpion in either Greek or English/Greek? It would be much appreciated, thank you!
This is intriguing.  Can you post a photo of what you are looking for?
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
I probably should have added a note about what a chanter's engolpion is so as not to confuse people. :p

It is not the medallion-shaped ornament that bishops wear around their neck, but rather a handy book for chanters which is essentially an anthology of often-used hymns, typika, etc.
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
FatherGiryus said:
Antonis said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a chanter's engolpion in either Greek or English/Greek? It would be much appreciated, thank you!
This is intriguing.  Can you post a photo of what you are looking for?
Here is an example of one, in plagal four:

 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Antonis said:
I probably should have added a note about what a chanter's engolpion is so as not to confuse people. :p

It is not the medallion-shaped ornament that bishops wear around their neck, but rather a handy book for chanters which is essentially an anthology of often-used hymns, typika, etc.
That depends upon what jurisdiction you are in.  The bishop regulates what books are used in his eparchy.
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
FatherGiryus said:
Antonis said:
I probably should have added a note about what a chanter's engolpion is so as not to confuse people. :p

It is not the medallion-shaped ornament that bishops wear around their neck, but rather a handy book for chanters which is essentially an anthology of often-used hymns, typika, etc.
That depends upon what jurisdiction you are in.  The bishop regulates what books are used in his eparchy.
I think you misunderstand, father. I am aware of my diocese's regulations, this is simply a place where a chanter could find, for instance, an outline of the Liturgy, the great doxology, the resurrectional apolytikia, the apolytikia and kontakia for great feasts, often-used psalms, etc. It is not a liturgical book in and of itself, but merely an aid to chanters so that they would not have to flip through multiple volumes to find often-used material.

 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Antonis said:
FatherGiryus said:
Antonis said:
I probably should have added a note about what a chanter's engolpion is so as not to confuse people. :p

It is not the medallion-shaped ornament that bishops wear around their neck, but rather a handy book for chanters which is essentially an anthology of often-used hymns, typika, etc.
That depends upon what jurisdiction you are in.  The bishop regulates what books are used in his eparchy.
I think you misunderstand, father. I am aware of my diocese's regulations, this is simply a place where a chanter could find, for instance, an outline of the Liturgy, the great doxology, the resurrectional apolytikia, the apolytikia and kontakia for great feasts, often-used psalms, etc. It is not a liturgical book in and of itself, but merely an aid to chanters so that they would not have to flip through multiple volumes to find often-used material.
Yes, but while those are standard in Greek, you asked about Greek and English.  The GOA has varying translations in English, and so he would need to know which English translations are approved by the bishop and which are not.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Interesting. Is it typical to have a different volume for each tone, or are there also single-volume versions? I know the Russian church has a single-volume Obikhod (which STS is producing in English at the end of this year).
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Iconodule said:
Interesting. Is it typical to have a different volume for each tone, or are there also single-volume versions? I know the Russian church has a single-volume Obikhod (which STS is producing in English at the end of this year).
The engolpia that I have seen in person are not typically in any particular tone, no. The one I showed in that image is kind of peculiar in that it contains musical direction.

 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,951
Reaction score
596
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Iconodule said:
Interesting. Is it typical to have a different volume for each tone, or are there also single-volume versions? I know the Russian church has a single-volume Obikhod (which STS is producing in English at the end of this year).
Back in Greece there's an official reader's & chanter's handbook, apparently a bestseller, according to the publishers. I can hardly hold back the RPG manual references.
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Arachne said:
Iconodule said:
Interesting. Is it typical to have a different volume for each tone, or are there also single-volume versions? I know the Russian church has a single-volume Obikhod (which STS is producing in English at the end of this year).
Back in Greece there's an official reader's & chanter's handbook, apparently a bestseller, according to the publishers. I can hardly hold back the RPG manual references.
Yes, that is the version that I see most commonly used here, too.
 
Top