• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Chick is Dead

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The media are reporting that Jack Chick is dead.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
May the Lord Have Mercy on his soul.

His wikipedia page says he died yesterday.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
What a pity. No more of those annoying tracts.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Everyone - Orthodox or not - will have an opinion as to whether he was a good egg or not.

(a little light humour intended to be good-natured, not disrespectful)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Tallitot said:
What a pity. No more of those annoying tracts.
Trust me, he's got a little industry going. There will be plenty more.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
I've wondered if there actually is/was one individual named Jack Chick, or if it is the pen name of a group.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Tallitot said:
I've wondered if there actually is/was one individual named Jack Chick, or if it is the pen name of a group.
I've always assumed the same.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
maybe the producers of the tracts are going out of business and this is way of exiting.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I just checked their facebook page. They reported that he died at the age of 92. They insist that they are going to continue his "ministry" and make his tracts available.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I had no idea he was alive still.  If you would have asked me, I'd have guessed the over under on is life was the turn of the millennium and I'd have picked the under, I was way off.  I haven's seen a chick track in over 10 years. I live in Chicago and haven't noticed one of them, that seems odd...maybe because I've become immune and insensitive to noticing pamphlets and I just am conditioned to tune them out.  Or maybe Chicago is just considered a lost cause by those kind of guys.

Those things got smeared at my Catholic school and our Orthodox Church's "Arab American festival" every once and a great while.  I think the Orthodox were considered " superstitious pagan Papists" in his world. Oh well,  I guess those tracts are better than picketers/protesters/marchers/disrupters and way better than the odd duck KKK crosses which I guess happened once every so often way back when, even up north. 

Anyway, Lord have mercy on his soul.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Lord have mercy on Jack Chick soul, at least his comics were so bad, they were absolutely funny. Still we should pray for his soul, even if he slandered pretty much everyone under the sun.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
I have never understood people of his ilk who claim to love Jesus but who openly despise His Body.

May God preserve me in that ignorance.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Tallitot said:
maybe the producers of the tracts are going out of business and this is way of exiting.
No, Jack Chick is a real person, but his "ministry" has a number of other artists/ writers (to use the terms perhaps generously) who have joined in over the years. They will doubtless continue to produce the nectar of wisdom we have come to love.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Iconodule said:
Tallitot said:
No, Jack Chick is a real person, but his "ministry" has a number of other artists/ writers (to use the terms perhaps generously) who have joined in over the years. They will doubtless continue to produce the nectar of wisdom we have come to love.

Maybe now they can team up with the Truth for Youth guy to make some really awesome anti-D&D/high fantasy comics.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Memory Eternal! His comics have brought many LOLs into my life.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
TheTrisagion said:
Tallitot said:
I've always assumed the same.
You could tell with his artwork.  Not all tracts were drawn by him.  A lot of the more recent ones were clearly not done by him.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
William T said:
Alpo said:
In Finland?  Holy Cow.
No idea who has been translating them but AFAIK the tracts used to be spread by Pentecostalists around here. And probably still are by the most conservative folks.

I'd love to see systematic theology based on the tracts only. Considering how weird they are it might turn out awesome.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Alpo said:
William T said:
Alpo said:
In Finland?  Holy Cow.
No idea who has been translating them but AFAIK the tracts used to be spread by Pentecostalists around here. And probably still are by the most conservative folks.

I'd love to see systematic theology based on the tracts only. Considering how weird they are it might turn out awesome.
It would probably be a complex flow chart with all paths saying you were tricked to hell followed by an even kookier conspiracy flow chart...hopefully it gets decoded that Chick is actually in charge of the Vatican. 

I can see the climax scene in the movie right now:

It's a dark and stormy night. You are talking to your trusted confident Jack Chick in the penthouse of his corporate headquarters about a new twist that must be a key you can't figure out in the conspiracy mystery you've been trying to solve.  He pours bourbon from his crystal decanter, offering you some, but you are too invested in solving the plot to think of such trivial things, you pass. in a deliberate but casual manner he walks away from his bar, his eyes never leaving you, as it seems as if he is amused to see the expression on your face as you reason things out.  He sits behind big burgundy desk in his leather chair, swivels away from you to face the window ...no, to face the world.  As you puzzle the conspiracy out loud to him, it starts clicking in your mind what's really going on.  The timber and cadence of your voice turn simultaneously with Chick's chair.  The villain is now facing you and grins.  Without speaking, he pulls a little purple beanie from the desk and places it upon his head.  You've been tricked to hell.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
I always thought that Chick tracts were evangelism for people with social anxiety. You don't have to interact with anyone face to face; just leave them lying around in the bathroom or wherever people will see them.

If only there were tracts with sayings of the Desert Fathers on them. Preferably ones that would actually help people feel at peace, rather than scare them the way Chick's tracts were intended to. I mean, if someone who was already depressed found one of the really dark Chick tracts, it might just drive them over the edge.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I just checked their facebook page. They reported that he died at the age of 92. They insist that they are going to continue his "ministry" and make his tracts available.
Oh thank goodness. His tracts saved me from the Dungeons and Dragons cult.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
His tracts saved me from the booze- and sex-fueled world that is the Christian rock scene.  I coulda gotten AIDS.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
hecma925 said:
His tracts saved me from the booze- and sex-fueled world that is the Christian rock scene.  I coulda gotten AIDS.
Blessed be our God, lord and commander of a mighty host of angels!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Blessed be our God, lord and commander of a mighty host of angels!
Amin.

Kostya

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Atlanta
It's a shame he died before getting around to making a tract addressing the problem presented by the Orthodox Church.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Kostya said:
It's a shame he died before getting around to making a tract addressing the problem presented by the Orthodox Church.
Eh. Protestants who hear about us assume we are Jews, who observe us assume we are Roman Catholics. So I think from his ignorant perspective he had us covered.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Porter ODoran said:
Kostya said:
Eh. Protestants who hear about us assume we are Jews, who observe us assume we are Roman Catholics. So I think from his ignorant perspective he had us covered.
1.  I know for a fact I've seen a few pamphlets, and I thought Chick cartoons that attacked Orthodoxy.  Either way I'm pretty sure that kind of orientation has its talk points about us.  I think as superstitious backwards Papist Paganism.  Interestingly, I think any "ultra" Protestant, whether ultra liberal or ultra conservative might be forced to think that (Feuerbach said about the same thing).

2.  I used to naively take it as a complement when people thought what I did was too pagan, Jewish, Catholic, or history bound.  I had no idea it was part of a history of polemics, I actually thought I could use it as a way to discuss where I came from that helped show the Truth of things.  When words like Byzantine, Dogma, Creed, apologetics, Constantine, theology, tradition, liturgy, and so forth are automatically considered negative as well, things get kind of hard to quickly set up a conversation that isn't uphill.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William T said:
Porter ODoran said:
Kostya said:
1.  I know for a fact I've seen a few pamphlets, and I thought Chick cartoons that attacked Orthodoxy.  Either way I'm pretty sure that kind of orientation has its talk points about us.  I think as superstitious backwards Papist Paganism.  Interestingly, I think any "ultra" Protestant, whether ultra liberal or ultra conservative might be forced to think that (Feuerbach said about the same thing).

2.  I used to naively take it as a complement when people thought what I did was too pagan, Jewish, Catholic, or history bound.  I had no idea it was part of polemics, I actually thought I could use it as a way to discuss where I came from and helped show the Truth of things.
I've seen anti-Orthodox Chick tracts too.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I didn't get either of the comics 100%, is it my English or is it really confusing?

Edit: I think I got it now, the first one comes after the second one, it means he was rather a bit sympathetic lol

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
William T said:
Porter ODoran said:
Kostya said:

2.  I used to naively take it as a complement when people thought what I did was too pagan, Jewish, Catholic, or history bound.  I had no idea it was part of a history of polemics, I actually thought I could use it as a way to discuss where I came from that helped show the Truth of things.  When words like Byzantine, Dogma, Creed, apologetics, Constantine, theology, tradition, liturgy, and so forth are automatically considered negative as well, things get kind of hard to quickly set up a conversation that isn't uphill.
There's a Chick-published series of large, glossy comic books laying out the church-history claims of his favorite ex-Jesuit sensationalist (don't remember his name) that does impinge on Orthodoxy a little. The depiction is wildly inaccurate from any perspective, even getting facts unimportant to his claims ridiculously wrong. Basically he makes out Orthodoxy as a demonic cult of Roman secret police that eradicated Christianity and destroyed any true histories about her (yeah this is problematic and blasphemous, for all Christians, but we're talking about a fundamentalist Protestant here). My mother sent me the series as soon as she heard of my chrismation.