• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Children?

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
I don't know.  In SVS's publication of St. John Chrysostom's sermons on marriage, he states very clearly that procreation is not the primary focus of marriage anymore, but rather the salvation of the couple.  But that doesn't specifically address your question.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Robert said:
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert
I think there is a discussion on this site (the Family forum?) in the past couple of months with 80+% relevance.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
This may be the thread you are referring to:

Childfree Orthodox Christians
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12395.0.html