• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Children?

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
I don't know.  In SVS's publication of St. John Chrysostom's sermons on marriage, he states very clearly that procreation is not the primary focus of marriage anymore, but rather the salvation of the couple.  But that doesn't specifically address your question.

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Robert said:
So maybe we've beaten a dead horse on this topic, but I can't recall via memory or search whether or not the specific question I have has been answered.

If an Orthodox Christian has no desire for children whatsoever, does that mean he/she has no business getting married? 

Robert
I think there is a discussion on this site (the Family forum?) in the past couple of months with 80+% relevance.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
This may be the thread you are referring to:

Childfree Orthodox Christians
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12395.0.html