• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Chiune Sugihara

montalban

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'd like to advertise one man, Chiune Sugihara. A Japanese diplomate, and convert to Orthodoxy, he saved more Jews in WWII than the more famous Schindler. Has anyone here heard of him.

I think heaps of people might be interested to learn of this remarkable man.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Chiune Sugihara protested against the treatment of Chinese people in Manchuria by his own countrymen. Posted to Lithuania by the Japanese government he and his wife, Yukiko, worked for 29 days in 1940 to write visas for Jewish people *against the instructions of the Japanese government*. With the visas the people were able to leave, many on the Trans-siberian railway and go tp Kobe, Japan and farther on.

He is counted as one of the "Righteous Among the Nations" at Yad Vashem in Israel.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sugihara.html

Ebor

montalban

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Ebor said:
Chiune Sugihara protested against the treatment of Chinese people in Manchuria by his own countrymen.  Posted to Lithuania by the Japanese government he and his wife, Yukiko, worked for 29 days in 1940 to write visas for Jewish people *against the instructions of the Japanese government*. With the visas the people were able to leave, many on the Trans-siberian railway and go tp Kobe, Japan and farther on.

He is counted as one of the "Righteous Among the Nations" at Yad Vashem in Israel.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sugihara.html

Ebor
Thank you for the link. I've been after stuff about him. So far I've only been able to purchase second-hand (an ex-US library) book that was obviously written from 12-16 year olds (some would argue that's above my reading level ;) )

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Any movements to glorify him?