• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

"Christ in the Psalms" Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Have any of you read this?  Would you please comment on it?  I love the psalter but find that oftentimes I don't understand what I'm reading/praying there.  Fr. Reardon's book looks as if it might help a lot, especially if the reviews on Amazon are to be believed, but would really appreciate further input about it before I spend the $$.  Or...if there's something better, perhaps someone could suggest it?  Also, does Fr. Reardon's book cover the whole psalter?

Thanks!!!!!!  :)

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got it and am impressed. Great source of information and reflection.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Have any of you read this?  Would you please comment on it?  I love the psalter but find that oftentimes I don't understand what I'm reading/praying there.  Fr. Reardon's book looks as if it might help a lot, especially if the reviews on Amazon are to be believed, but would really appreciate further input about it before I spend the $$.  Or...if there's something better, perhaps someone could suggest it?  Also, does Fr. Reardon's book cover the whole psalter?

Thanks!!!!!!  :)
Even Psalm 151.  There is a slight difference between the second and first edition-the second he expanded on a psalm or two.

It consists of a few pages (2-4 or so) on each Psalm, more in the vein on a meditation on relating the Psalm to Christ/Christology/the Life in Christ, rather than a textual-historical analysis-but, being Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon, he does that as well.

The only thing I've seen comparable was "the Holy Fathers and the Psalter", which was a LOT costlier IIRC.

Btw, for full disclosure, the author is my priest.

You can see a free preview on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Psalms-Patrick-Henry-Reardon/dp/1888212217/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374273559&sr=1-1&keywords=Christ+in+the+Psalms

Red A.

Reaction score
I've got it and have found it very helpful.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
I think it's worthwhile, depending on what you are looking for in it. One advantage is that it's written in a good style. He is a good author. The main "area for improvement" for me is that the author didn't explain the logic behind how the Psalms were prophecies of the Messiah, which was what I was looking for when I read it. For the latter I would recommend some of the Church fathers.

Regards.