• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Christian Businesses

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Are you more likely to be a customer of a business that "advertises" they are Christian owned? I see many contractors that use the fish symbol in their ads or on their trucks. I see some businesses that advertise in Christian business directories. At times I feel that these businesses are exploiting Christianity. I have my own business and I do not advertise that I am a Christian. However, I did buy my car from a used car dealer that when I went into his office had a calendar on his wall from the Orthodox churches he attends

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Orthodox women own a small candy shop near where I live. I buy from them every so often.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Are you more likely to be a customer of a business that "advertises" they are Christian owned?
Eww, no. Most likely they are the kind of Christians that I'd like to have nothing to do with.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Lutherans?
Nah, Lutherans are fine. I was thinking of folks who would probably start to speak in tongues if they got a new customer. People here are mostly secularized but AFAIK Christianity is still kind of norm. Which basically means that if someone or something tells you without asking that this or that is Christian there's probably something weird or awkward going on.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Are you more likely to be a customer of a business that "advertises" they are Christian owned?
Yes. If there were two business nearby that offered the same service... I would patronize the Christian one... until they proved that they were Christian in name-only.

I just hired a tree-cutting service... because they were openly Christian, with a Bible verse on their truck.
They were called "Joshua Tree Service"... get it? Joshua Tree!? They gave me a fair price and did a good job.

....and I always head to the Greek diners versus others.... to support by Orthodox brothers and sisters in their entrepreneurial endeavors.

Paradosiakos

Prefers the Orthodox faith
Reaction score
Faith
Prefers the Orthodox faith.
Jurisdiction
NW
In-N-Out Burger has Bible verse numbers on all their packaging. I bought from them without knowing it for a long time. Knowing that hasn’t changed my buying habits.

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Depends. If I know they are a serious Christian business then yes.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I mean.... 😁

Seriously, it depends. I'm more interested in if they're down-to-earth, ethical, reasonably priced, and have a good product or service. If that comes with a fish, cool. If not, oh well. 🤷‍♀️ Some companies, though, I'll actually avoid. Sort of depends on the feel they give off. I wouldn't use it as a selling point, but I'm not sure I'd hide it, either.

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Would you buy from a company that advertises in the Shepherd's guide? It's a local directory for Christian businesses. Each business has to sign a statement of faith before they are allowed to advertise.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
What does the statement of faith say?

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
What does the statement of faith say?
" STATEMENT OF FAITH “I have received Jesus Christ as my personal savior and believe Him to be the Son of God who has atoned for my sins. Because I believe all aspects of my life to be lived to honor God, I promise to up-hold the highest Biblical standards in my transactions and treat my clients with respect and integrity.”

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Oh, not the Nicene Creed.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
The Orthodox are a member of the World Council of Churches. So, just go out and be the light and don't trip yourself up on too much dissecting yourself or others. Peace. Go love all in the name of the Lord and give a cool glass of water to whoever needs it.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Oh, not the Nicene Creed.
It could be worse. Some I see include biblical literalism and supreme authority of Scripture, which is what kept us out of the local homeschool group.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Sister wives? Because that's Biblical.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I see many contractors that use the fish symbol in their ads or on their trucks. I see some businesses that advertise in Christian business directories. At times I feel that these businesses are exploiting Christianity.
Two recommendations:
(1) If dealing with someone otherwise unknown to you who you first saw in their truck get a signed contract with driver's license and insurance information and do not pay out anything until all work is completed
(2) If they indicate they are a Christian contractor get two contracts with driver's license and insurance information and do not pay out anything until all work is completed.

Last edited:

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Contractors should also get two signed contracts from there christian customers. I don't know anyone who quotes bible verses while signing checks.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Contractors should also get two signed contracts from there christian customers. I don't know anyone who quotes bible verses while signing checks.
Christian-themed checks are an exception. Nothing quite like a returned cancelled check with an image of a church, cross, Jesus gathering little children etc, and/or a Bible verse written on it.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Christian-themed checks are an exception. Nothing quite like a returned cancelled check which has an image of a church, cross, Jesus gathering little children and/or a Bible verse written on it.
You must have done work for a Church which considered it a donation. LOL, Happens all the time. I think its called, your skills are needed by god and he will remember your involuntarily contribution.