• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Christopher Hitchens Converts to Christianity

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Noted writer and Atheist Christopher Hitchens passed away December 15th of pneumonia and complications of esophageal cancer. He was just 62.

On December 16th after a twenty minute meeting with the Lord (behind closed doors, no reporters were allowed) Mr. Hitchens  announced that he will embark upon an extended period of prayer and fasting.  

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
This should be in the prayer or joke section.

Nevertheless, it is not really a joking matter.
Lord haver mercy.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I guess you need to see humor in irony.

This guy was an aggressive opponent of Christianity taking ever opportunity to try to persuade people to leave their faith.He set the tone for the last decade or so of mockery.

Some people see all views as good as long as they are sincerely held. Sincerity being the main thing, not the content of the view itself.

I could have posted "Christopher Hitchens Burns in Hell" which theologically speaking may be more accurate. I thought I was going a bit easy on him.

Havent you ever wondered about the moment after death and what that must be like for the most noted atheists like Hitchens? I have..  Kind of a whoops moment wouldnt you say?

Yes, please pray for him. An enemy of God has fallen to Hell...............

Btw..This guy wrote a book savaging Mother Teressa. I wonder if she will meet him with a 12 inch ruler in her hand to rap him on the knuckles with.
( more ironic humor for those who cant tell)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
About that last sentence: do you know for sure?

Since when?

???

You have the right to judge how?

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:

Since when?

???

Just a guess.. Above my pay grade to know for sure.

Btw. Do you beleive in Universal Salvation? Are Famous Atheists and  aggressive enemies of the Church saved? Is everyone saved, just because?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Excuse me, you don't know what he was thinking in his last moments and you don't know whether God decided to have mercy on him or not.

No, I'm not a Universal Salvationist. You, however, seem to be a Condemn-People-You-Don't-Like-ist.

I wasn't aware that a Christian was supposed to practice personal mockery instead of praying for mercy for someone.

"It is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins."

Go read 2 Maccabees again, please.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
biro said:

Since when?

???

Btw. Do you beleive in Universal Salvation? Are Famous Atheists and  aggressive enemies of the Church saved? Is everyone saved, just because?
I certainly hope for Universal Salvation; famous atheists and aggressive enemies of the church, included. No one knows the heart but God. No one knows what turned this man's thinking to the path it took. God understands all our flaws, why we are what we are and why we do what we do, atheistic obsessions included. I certainly hope that he is all-merciful to Christopher Hitchins, as I hope he is to me.  

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Marc1152 said:
Btw..This guy wrote a book savaging Mother Teressa. I wonder if she will meet him with a 12 inch ruler in her hand to rap him on the knuckles with.
having the courage to buck popular opinion and expose this money grubbing fame-whore for what she was made him admirable in my eyes.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Marc1152 said:
biro said:

Since when?

???

Btw. Do you beleive in Universal Salvation? Are Famous Atheists and  aggressive enemies of the Church saved? Is everyone saved, just because?
I certainly hope for Universal Salvation; famous atheists and aggressive enemies of the church, included. No one knows the heart but God. No one knows what turned this man's thinking to the path it took. God understands all our flaws, why we are what we are and why we do what we do, atheistic obsessions included. I certainly hope that he is all-merciful to Christopher Hitchins, as I hope he is to me.  
As do I.  In fact, I'll see your "famous atheists and aggressive enemies of the church, included" and raise you hope even for the demons.

And Marc, here's an interesting story.

"After his experience of the tortures of hell, and after God's prescription for him, 'Keep thy mind in hell', it was particularly characteristic of Staretz Silouan to pray for the dead suffering in the hell of separation from God; but he prayed for the living, too, and for the generations to come. His prayer reached out beyond the bounds of time, and all thought of the transitory phenomena of human life, of enemies, vanished. In his distress for the world it was given to him to divide people into those who had come to know God and those who had not. He could not bear to think that anyone would languish in 'outer darkness'.

"I remember a conversation between him and a certain hermit, who declared with evident satisfaction: 'God will punish all atheists. They will burn in everlasting fire.'

"Obviously upset, the staretz said, 'Tell me, supposing you went to paradise, and there looked down and saw somebody burning in hell-fire -- would you feel happy?'

"'It cannot be helped, it would be their own fault', said the hermit.

"The staretz answered him with a sorrowful countenance: 'Love could not bear that', he said. 'We must pray for all.'"
(From Archimandrite Sophrony, St Silouan the Athonite, St Vladimir's Press, 1991 p. 48.)

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Riddikulus said:
Marc1152 said:
biro said:

Since when?

???

As do I.  In fact, I'll see your "famous atheists and aggressive enemies of the church, included" and raise you hope even for the demons.
Yes, of course. Universal means all, even demons. Though it's not popular to say it aloud. ;)

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
JamesRottnek said:
Riddikulus said:
Marc1152 said:
biro said:

Since when?

???

Yes, of course. Universal means all, even demons. Though it's not popular to say it aloud. ;)
That's precisely why I said it.  Too often people seem to act that we should utterly hate and despise the demons, that they are the one thing in the universe, the one element of God's creation, that God does not love.  But I don't buy that - God loves the entirety of His creation, and we are called to be perfect, as He is perfect.  And if we are called upon to love angels who - experiencing heaven - sinned, how much more are we called to love foolish men who don't even realize God exists?

The very existence of this thread seems to be an exercise in contempt.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Riddikulus said:
JamesRottnek said:
Riddikulus said:
Marc1152 said:
biro said:

Since when?

???

That's precisely why I said it.  Too often people seem to act that we should utterly hate and despise the demons, that they are the one thing in the universe, the one element of God's creation, that God does not love.  But I don't buy that - God loves the entirety of His creation, and we are called to be perfect, as He is perfect.  And if we are called upon to love angels who - experiencing heaven - sinned, how much more are we called to love foolish men who don't even realize God exists?
Sadly, what you say is true. Compassion is sometimes the last thing a believer feels for those who do not believe as they do. It's a good thing that you want to express what you express here. Don't ever lose the mercy that resides in your heart no matter who tries to take it from you. <hugs>! :)

The very existence of this thread seems to be an exercise in contempt.
Yes. :'(

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Looks like we are going to need some bandages for all the sanctimonious bleeding hearts, who pretend they never had a bad thought for anyone.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Excuse me, you don't know what he was thinking in his last moments and you don't know whether God decided to have mercy on him or not.

No, I'm not a Universal Salvationist. You, however, seem to be a Condemn-People-You-Don't-Like-ist.

I wasn't aware that a Christian was supposed to practice personal mockery instead of praying for mercy for someone.

"It is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins."

Scuse me.. ? I have no idea if I would have "Liked him" or not. He seemed affable enough. He was a vicious opponent of the Church. Under his influence Atheism turned to mockery of Religion not just criticism. He went after Mother Teresa for crying out loud, which normally would sound like a spoof.

But of course your are right. Perhaps in his last hours he repented. Lets hope so and pray for his soul.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything is a 2007 book by author and journalist Christopher Hitchens criticising religion. It was published in the United Kingdom as God Is Not Great: The Case Against Religion.

Hitchens contends that organised religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" and sectarian, and that accordingly it "ought to have a great deal on its conscience." Hitchens supports his position with a mixture of personal stories, documented historical anecdotes and critical analysis of religious texts. His commentary focuses mainly on the Abrahamic religions, although it also touches on other religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Is_Not_Great

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:

How very easy....

Let's not mention Hell, way too uncomfortable a notion... Lets just stick with "Im okay you're Okay" Everything and everybody is good on the inside, victims really...........  Take the blue pill.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
biro said:

Scuse me.. ? I have no idea if I would have "Liked him" or not. He seemed affable enough. He was a vicious opponent of the Church. Under his influence Atheism turned to mockery of Religion not just criticism. He went after Mother Teresa for crying out loud, which normally would sound like a spoof.

But of course your are right. Perhaps in his last hours he repented. Lets hope so and pray for his soul.

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything is a 2007 book by author and journalist Christopher Hitchens criticising religion. It was published in the United Kingdom as God Is Not Great: The Case Against Religion.

Hitchens contends that organised religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" and sectarian, and that accordingly it "ought to have a great deal on its conscience." Hitchens supports his position with a mixture of personal stories, documented historical anecdotes and critical analysis of religious texts. His commentary focuses mainly on the Abrahamic religions, although it also touches on other religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism.

Christians should repent that this is not dismissed easily out of hand about Christianity.

St. Paul criticized the Church by quoting another criticizing Israel. You know what I am saying.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:

Hitchens contends that organised religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" and sectarian, and that accordingly it "ought to have a great deal on its conscience."

If we are honest with ourselves, there's not much to disagree with here; even with regard to Christian history.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Riddikulus said:
Marc1152 said:

Hitchens contends that organised religion is "violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children" and sectarian, and that accordingly it "ought to have a great deal on its conscience."

If we are honest with ourselves, there's not much to disagree with here; even with regard to Christian history.
Really ??  I thought this was a vicious attack. Shows how little I know.

Riddikulus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
Riddikulus said:
Marc1152 said:

Really ??  I thought this was a vicious attack. Shows how little I know.
Perhaps you don't see any of those things in religion, but if this was a thread on Hitchen's comments being attached to Islam; we would all be deafened by the applause.

Perhaps you think that Christendom has a spotless record of anti-violence, and anti-racism and Christian extremists aren't bigots, "invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children", but I imagine that there would be many Christians who are going to disagree with you on that score. I know quite a few, myself.

Perhaps you simply don't like comments on religion, your own religion included, coming from a man who rejected all belief in God, but overall, I think the guy was onto something. I might not like his methods or his complete negetivity, but he recognised the hypocrisy within religion (and let's face it, it's hard to miss) and had every right to call on it. Freedom of speech and all that.

A human failing takes him to hating God as a result of the failings he saw amongst the religious. No surprises there, though it is a great shame. Most of us, though disheartened by the behaviour of our co-religious friends (and enemies) at times, manage to get around it somehow by hanging in there, believing that it's really not what God wants, but he has a bunch of selfish ninnies giving Him bad press.  

John Ward

Reaction score
I saw the title and where it was located and clicked into it expecting something good. I am disappoint.

We don't know what's going on with Mr. Hitchens. That's fine. It's God's judgement, anyway, and not for us to worry about with the exception of praying just as we do for anyone.

And, since the man has died and cannot defend himself anymore, is there really a reason to talk badly about him? Does it do anything to him or does it just hurt us?

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Punch said:
Looks like we are going to need some bandages for all the sanctimonious bleeding hearts, who pretend they never had a bad thought for anyone.
Whose doing this?  I know my sins; I know my evil thoughts and deed.  I've had mass quantities of anger and hatred.  I have never pretended I am a perfect, or even good, or even acceptable, human being.  Do not mistake talk about what I think people ought to do and be, with my own thoughts of who I am.

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hitch was one of a kind...i still have a soft spot for him from my days as an atheist...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mark I wanted to say I did find your post to be very funny.

Marc1152 said:
This guy was an aggressive opponent of Christianity taking ever opportunity to try to persuade people to leave their faith.He set the tone for the last decade or so of mockery.
Exactly. The dishonesty that came from him and Dawkins, respectively, to make people lose their faith is something I cannot grasp. It was his intolerance to religion which perhaps planted seeds in other individuals to be just as intolerant. And for that I have the hardest time understanding how Christians can come to his defense. I do hope the Lord has mercy on him, but I can't help but see this man in a very negative light.

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
Noted writer and Atheist Christopher Hitchens passed away December 15th of pneumonia and complications of esophageal cancer. He was just 62.

On December 16th after a twenty minute meeting with the Lord (behind closed doors, no reporters were allowed) Mr. Hitchens  announced that he will embark upon an extended period of prayer and fasting.  
In Roman Catholicism, you can obtain forgiveness of your sins by confession and repentance while you are alive on earth. I haven't heard any RC teaching which allows you to do the same after you have died. Yes, if you are in Purgatory, your friends on earth may pray for you and apply their prayers to lessen your time there, but I don't know of any RC teaching according to which a dead person may confess and repent for his sins after his death.  If what the Orthodox  poster says is correct, then I guess this would be  a big difference between RC and EO teaching on this point.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
Marc1152 said:

In Roman Catholicism, you can obtain forgiveness of your sins by confession and repentance while you are alive on earth. I haven't heard any RC teaching which allows you to do the same after you have died. Yes, if you are in Purgatory, your friends on earth may pray for you and apply their prayers to lessen your time there, but I don't know of any RC teaching according to which a dead person may confess and repent for his sins after his death.  If what the Orthodox  poster says is correct, then I guess this would be  a big difference between RC and EO teaching on this point.
Oye....... Lighten up....

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Too soon!

Jeez, I think they even gave Steve Jobs a week before everyone talked about what a jerk he could be.

It's just...not funny. And my sense of humor is fine, thanks.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Too soon!

Jeez, I think they even gave Steve Jobs a week before everyone talked about what a jerk he could be.

It's just...not funny. And my sense of humor is fine, thanks.
Read for content....

No one was called a jerk...

No one was condemned to Hell.....

The irony of one of the most famous Atheists meeting his end was speculated about. Havent you thought about what happens when an arch Atheist dies? Never? Not once? Plus, I pictured him as repentant.

Guess you missed that part...

Perhaps you should re-read.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Punch said:
^^^post of the month!
(may I use this line in the future when I'm attacked for criticising a public figure?I'll include attribution of course)

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
I'll bet that if someone had asked Hitchens if he would be upset if people who disagreed with him critisized him afetr he died he would have said 'no".

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Punch said:
And one for the smug people who want to look like they're doing a good thing even though they're judging people. Sticking your nose that high up in the air is bound to cause nosebleeds.

I never said I am free from bad thoughts. I said I believe in praying for someone's forgiveness.

We are supposed to pray for our enemies.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
I'll bet that if someone had asked Hitchens if he would be upset if people who disagreed with him critisized him afetr he died he would have said 'no".
Ironically, I have a feeling he may have been mildly irritated if he were told people would pray for him.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Tallitot said:
Ironically, I have a feeling he may have been mildly irritated if he were told people would pray for him.
I doubt it.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Punch said:
And one for the smug people who want to look like they're doing a good thing even though they're judging people. Sticking your nose that high up in the air is bound to cause nosebleeds.

I never said I am free from bad thoughts. I said I believe in praying for someone's forgiveness.

Nothing in the OP said otherwise either.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Punch said:

Please calm down.. No one disagrees with you.

I lit a candle for the poor guy at vigil. One of our Priests mentioned in conversation with me that Hitchens last couple of articles indicated a tiny bit of equivocation. One was on the beauty of the King James Bible. He said something like it's too bad none of it's True but it's beautiful language.
and then a final article which I am not too clear about ( I shall google it) where he indicated some fear of death.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on Christopher.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
His last articles concerning death will come out in January:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/christopher-hitchens-final-memoir-mortality-january-article-1.993028

beebert

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:

Some people see all views as good as long as they are sincerely held. Sincerity being the main thing, not the content of the view itself.

I could have posted "Christopher Hitchens Burns in Hell" which theologically speaking may be more accurate. I thought I was going a bit easy on him.

Havent you ever wondered about the moment after death and what that must be like for the most noted atheists like Hitchens? I have..  Kind of a whoops moment wouldnt you say?

You sir are a stupid idiot

Beebert, using ad hominems is strongly prohibited in the Public Fora. I am giving you 30% of warning.

Dominika,
Global Moderator

William T

Archon
Reaction score
beebert said:
Marc1152 said:

Havent you ever wondered about the moment after death and what that must be like for the most noted atheists like Hitchens? I have..  Kind of a whoops moment wouldnt you say?

You sir are a stupid idiot
Did you just dig up a thread from 2011, look at an opinion you disagreed with, just to call someone a "stupid idiot".  You seem to acknowledge that you need to reform your approach to things concerning this forum, but I don't see you actually trying to reform your behavior.