• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Civil War

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
ROFL!

Nice of you to give us the good guy in the scenario.

Though without the baggage of the Mutants/Days of Future Past in the MCU continuity, maybe Tony won't seem like such an idiot this time around.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
FormerReformer said:
ROFL!

Nice of you to give us the good guy in the scenario.

Though without the baggage of the Mutants/Days of Future Past in the MCU continuity, maybe Tony won't seem like such an idiot this time around.
So conflicted... I'm #TeamCap, but I'm also Catholic. I guess you cannot Serve both God and Marvel.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Old guy does not 'get' the OP post.
Such Language used on this eye-candy?
So I looked at the trailers; the Black guy dies.
I thought we gave that up!

sakura95

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've always been on Team Cap since day one.

Captain Murica is innocent guys, he only wanted to save his friend Bucky from being falsely accused.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
I'm taking some of my little cousins to go see it in a few weeks.  I'm probably more of a captain America guy over FE Man.  I like Iron Man a lot though. Oddly, I owned more solo Iron Man comics than Captain America comics from what I remember.  I've never read civil war or anything though.  I quit reading comics regularly by about Freshman year of high school...and even then I preferred buying comics from the 80's and before, I guess I was savvy enough then to realize that 90's comics were awful.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
I always knew Cap was Orthodox!
Black widow, quicksilver, and the scarlet witch may be Orthodox.  If Scarlett Witch and Black Widow are on the same side, I may as well root for that team.

I get that Black Widow was trained as a Soviet spy, then transferred to America, so the odds of her being orthodox are slim...but we can hope.  I think in the avengers movie she is interrogating some Russian general and there were some stolen Icons in the scene.  Maybe they caught her attention.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William T said:
scamandrius said:
Black widow, quick silver, and the scarlet witch may be.  If Scarlett Witch and Black Widow are on the same side, I may as well root for that team.

I get that Black Widow was trained as a Soviet spy, then transferred to America, so the odds of her being orthodox are slim...but we can hope.  I think in the avengers movie she is interrogating some Russian general and there were some stolen Icons in the scene.
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are Jewish.  Colossus is Orthodox if I remember correctly.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
William T said:
scamandrius said:
Black widow, quick silver, and the scarlet witch may be.  If Scarlett Witch and Black Widow are on the same side, I may as well root for that team.

I get that Black Widow was trained as a Soviet spy, then transferred to America, so the odds of her being orthodox are slim...but we can hope.  I think in the avengers movie she is interrogating some Russian general and there were some stolen Icons in the scene.
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are Jewish.  Colossus is Orthodox if I remember correctly.
Oh that's right, Magneto was a holocaust survivor.  I think kitty pride is Jewish too.  I thought Colossus was atheist because he was a Soviet, he acts Orthodox though, so hopefully.  I think Elektra is Orthodox. Nightcrawler and
Daredevil are devout Catholics.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William T said:
Deacon Lance said:
William T said:
scamandrius said:

Oh that's right, Magneto was a holocaust survivor.  I think kitty pride is Jewish too.  I thought Colossus was atheist because he was a Soviet, he acts Orthodox though, so hopefully.  I think Elektra is Orthodox. Nightcrawler and
Daredevil are devout Catholics.
Checked my sources, Elektra, Black Widow, and Silver Sable are Orthodox.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
William T said:
scamandrius said:
Black widow, quicksilver, and the scarlet witch may be Orthodox.  If Scarlett Witch and Black Widow are on the same side, I may as well root for that team.

I get that Black Widow was trained as a Soviet spy, then transferred to America, so the odds of her being orthodox are slim...but we can hope.  I think in the avengers movie she is interrogating some Russian general and there were some stolen Icons in the scene.  Maybe they caught her attention.
Never cared for Black Widow and especially  hate Scarlet Johannsen's portrayal of her.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Colossus being an atheist was established back in the 80s when Russia was still a communist country. Marvel tends to be conservative with its retcons - with the one notable exception of ruining Spiderman for me.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
William T said:
scamandrius said:

Never cared for Black Widow and especially  hate Scarlet Johannsen's portrayal of her.
I hated her in iron man 2 (which was a bad movie anyway), but I liked her a lot in all the other movies.  I always liked her as a character though.  Hawkeye unfortunately is under developed, and he's a major character.    I think he's the only marvel character who has suffered and got lost in the shuffle of things. I'm glad the The Falcon is a very solid character though.  It's nice to see secondary characters come into their own.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
^I agree with you on Hawkeye. I've always liked him and thought he was kind of undercut in the movie versions though I think Jeremy Renner was the perfect person to play him.  Falcon was solidly introduced and I liked him in "The Winter Soldier" though the movie wasn't that good.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Papist said:
I love the MCU captain America. Perfectly casted and written.
I like the MCU Capt. America better than the comic one.

Ehhhhhh, I think she's ok but not very deep. If she disappeared, I'd not notice.

PP

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
Ehhhhhh, I think she's ok but not very deep. If she disappeared, I'd not notice.
But then who would gently stroke The Hulk's hand to bring him down from his rages?

In the MCU she exists to be a female character who kicks and punches and beats henchmen because she is better. Even though Wheedon usually works to give his female characters depth, she's pretty flat. Age of Ultron had a chance to improve on that, but because they wanted to cram so much in there — Hey look! Another reference to the upcoming Civil War! — it didn't really happen.

Of course, Iron Man is really the only character that has been significantly developed in the films. Cap is still basically just a guy who is loyal and wants to do what is right. Thor is still dumb but a good fighter. Bruce Banner is still moody and hates Hulk, Hulk still smashes.

Coulsen has gotten better treatment since television allows for it, as has Peggy Carter.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Cap is still basically just a guy who is loyal and wants to do what is right. Trter.
I dunno. He went from the ultimate establishment/patriot guy, to the anti-establishment/I'm wary of government organizations guy.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Papist said:
Agabus said:
Cap is still basically just a guy who is loyal and wants to do what is right. Trter.
I dunno. He went from the ultimate establishment/patriot guy, to the anti-establishment/I'm wary of government organizations guy.
It happened fairly early on in his revival, too. 1974 saw him briefly abandoning the Captain America role in favor of the alias "Nomad". He's still loyal, just that loyalty is more to the American Dream than blind patriotic loyalty to whoever happens to be holding the reins of power. Very Jeffersonian of him.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
FormerReformer said:
Papist said:
Agabus said:
It happened fairly early on in his revival, too. 1974 saw him briefly abandoning the Captain America role in favor of the alias "Nomad". He's still loyal, just that loyalty is more to the American Dream than blind patriotic loyalty to whoever happens to be holding the reins of power. Very Jeffersonian of him.
Don't forget that time he fought evilalienusurperwhoistotallynotsupposedtobenixonweswearguys!

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Volnutt said:
FormerReformer said:
Papist said:
Agabus said:
Don't forget that time he fought evilalienusurperwhoistotallynotsupposedtobenixonweswearguys!
That was the 1974 run I just referred to :D

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cap will always have a place in my heart since I read his comics about having asthma in the pulmonologist's office as a kid.

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Agabus said:
Cap will always have a place in my heart since I read his comics about having asthma in the pulmonologist's office as a kid.
I remember that one  :D Those Marvel PSA comics were the only things that made some doctors' office waits bearable.