• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Clergy communion logistics in various jurisdictions

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
I recently noticed in an Antiochian parish that when the clergy commune, and they approached from northwest corner of the altar for both the body and blood. While in ROCOR clergy approach from the northwest corner for the body and the southwest corner for the blood. Any significance to to this? What jurisdictions do what?
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
No one knows, huh? Surely we have some altar servers from various jurisdictions here.  What do the Serbs, Greeks, Romanians, etc do? Anyone know why there are differences?
 

brlon

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Messages
132
Reaction score
48
Points
28
Location
UK
Faith
None
Jurisdiction
None
Bob2 said:
I recently noticed in an Antiochian parish that when the clergy commune, and they approached from northwest corner of the altar for both the body and blood. While in ROCOR clergy approach from the northwest corner for the body and the southwest corner for the blood. Any significance to to this? What jurisdictions do what?
Using the "ROCOR method" where clergy pass around the holy table from NW to SW, no one turns their back to the communing clergy nor to the body or blood of Christ. 
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,383
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
OCA parishes I've served in or have observed is the ROCOR method.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,285
Reaction score
616
Points
113
Age
30
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I have an impression that Polish is like Antiochian in this case. But maybe I remember wrongly.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
rakovsky said:
I don't understand very well what is being described.
Oh well.
What I've seen in ROCOR (fairly certain in OCA as well) is that when there are multiple celebrants, the priests in rank order followed by the deacons in rank order approach the altar from the front LEFT side. Then after they all partake of the body together, they approach in rank order from the front RIGHT corner to partake of the chalice. In an Antiochian parish the approach BOTH body and blood was from the LEFT side.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
pictured here Deacon partaking from the chalice from the left side in Antiochian parish.
 

Attachments

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,688
Reaction score
245
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
OK, I understand it now.
It seems to me that even under the ROCOR method the clergy might turn the back to the Eucharist or communing clergy.
Example: There are 5 communing clergy.
Clergy persons #1-3 commune the body from the left, the NW.
After each of them communes, they move to the right, the SW. In walking to the right and to the SW corner, each one turns his back to any clergy who is communing on the body at that moment on the Northwest corner.
Clergy persons #1-3 might form a line to the SW of the altar where they wait for clergy #4-5 to finish communing on the body.
Clergy person #4 finishes communing on the body and goes to the back of the line on the SW corner. In order to walk from the front of the altar to the end of the altar line, Clergy person #4 must turn his back on the Eucharist while Clergy person #5 is still communing on the body.

Still, it seems that the ROCOR method makes it less likely that the clergy will have to turn their back on the Eucharist if they are using a line system, and anyway the turn can be at a wider angle.

I still feel like I don't have a strong hold on the idea unless I diagram it or something.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
I don't really see how turning your back is necessary or more likely in either method, and this wasn't my point.

All clergy partake of the body simultaneously, they receive in their hands in rank order and then move clockwise around the altar taking their place around the altar and waiting for the others and then saying the final precommunion prayer together and partaking at the same time.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,122
Reaction score
1,186
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Bob2 said:
pictured here Deacon partaking from the chalice from the left side in Antiochian parish.
I'll try to pay attention next time to be sure, but I'm pretty sure in my parish it's body on the left and blood on the right. 
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,152
Reaction score
398
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Our (GOA) practice is to, for both kinds (so to speak), approach from the same side (i.e. "NW Corner" or the left front corner from the perspective of the parishioners) and proceed around the Holy Table in a counterclockwise circle.  There is a variation if a hierarch is communing the clergy vs. the priests communing themselves, but this is the general pattern.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
Fr. George said:
Our (GOA) practice is to, for both kinds (so to speak), approach from the same side (i.e. "NW Corner" or the left front corner from the perspective of the parishioners) and proceed around the Holy Table in a counterclockwise circle.  There is a variation if a hierarch is communing the clergy vs. the priests communing themselves, but this is the general pattern.
Thank you father,

Are you aware of any reason for or significance to the differences in practice?
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,152
Reaction score
398
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Bob2 said:
Fr. George said:
Our (GOA) practice is to, for both kinds (so to speak), approach from the same side (i.e. "NW Corner" or the left front corner from the perspective of the parishioners) and proceed around the Holy Table in a counterclockwise circle.  There is a variation if a hierarch is communing the clergy vs. the priests communing themselves, but this is the general pattern.
Thank you father,

Are you aware of any reason for or significance to the differences in practice?
I am not sure, honestly.  I may have references among my books, but don't have an opportunity today to look it up.
 
Top