• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Close and far

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
EO
Does anyone sometimes just get that feeling like you just know God is there for you or maybe a Saint ot Theotokos and you gain such strength and comfort from that? And other times you feel nothing or they are so far away no matter how hard you cry out for them and for their help? It seems they are nowhere to be found and you feel alone like it's just you and the evil one attacking you? Like maybe you did something so bad that Jesus has finally abandoned you?

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Does anyone sometimes just get that feeling like you just know God is there for you or maybe a Saint ot Theotokos and you gain such strength and comfort from that? And other times you feel nothing or they are so far away no matter how hard you cry out for them and for their help? It seems they are nowhere to be found and you feel alone like it's just you and the evil one attacking you? Like maybe you did something so bad that Jesus has finally abandoned you?
Speaking as one who has struggles with bipolar II/cyclothymia (depending on the doc), I have those sorts of feelings in general, but it is important to recognize that they are general—it is not limited to matters of theology. Second, it is important to realize that they are just feelings. One day I might be depressed and get "nothing" done. Another day I might decide to vacuum at 1 am. But that is just a series of struggles and oddities I deal with—God, and His saints, are present the whole time, eagerly cheering us on, and undeterred by all the circumstances that we may consider hopeless.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
That's just like sometimes you get in the "zone" during Divine Liturgy... and you leave re-energized and walking on air.... and other times, you just cannot focus, and you mechanically go through the motions.

The key is to keep going through the motions, knowing that God is there... that He promised He would be with us always... and realizing He knows our weaknesses, and helps us get through them, and back to Him.

We all have dry spells... Those weeds of life start to choke us... but, know that you are fertile soil... and you will outgrow those weeds and once again see the sun. Hang in there.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
A major sustaining thing for me is that God’s commandments are the anchor for my conscience. Even though I am often negligent & haphazard, I know where I must go to set myself straight.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
This happens regularly for me, especially after an extended time of closeness with God or our Holy Theotokos. It's kind of predictable: The heavenlies then the desert; the full and then the empty. I try to remind myself that faith is my walk with God in spite of things like my emotions or things going smoothly. One thing I am doing different that helps me get through is that I actively thank God for everything. For the silence, for the lonliness, for time of stillness, for provisions, for busyness, for aches and pains, for the annoying neighbor, for my family who are not supportive of my orthodox walk, for my trials. I just use my desert time to list everything. Thankful. Grateful. Praising our God. I remind myself that He will never leave me nor forsake me, that God is not willing that any perish, that I entrust myself to Him and say the Jesus prayer and Rejoice Virgin Theotokos. I just try to walk forward through it like LizaSymonenko says above^ sometimes I'm really bad at doing it though and forget everything. Then I thank God. That's my one key through it. Thank you God for this pen, paper, air, a job, thank you for your love and grace and mercy. Thank you that you have this all planned out and I don't have to worry.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I have definitely felt that way, yes. Keep praying. God never abandons us.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
EO
Ha ha ha.