• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Coffee

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I am starting a thread about drinking coffee.

I have become coffee motivated lately and I was hoping there are others here who would like to geek out on Coffee.

How do you brew it?
What brands do you like ? What is your favorite?
Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?
Do you know how to "Taste" coffee ?
What is your opinion of Starbucks?
How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?

If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?

Etc.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:

I have become coffee motivated lately and I was hoping there are others here who would like to geek out on Coffee.

How do you brew it?

Etc.
I only have the time/desire at the moment to answer one of these: a good substitute for creamer is honey.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
What is best thing to do/buy if someone likes coffee but you don't have a coffee maker?

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
What is best thing to do/buy if someone likes coffee but you don't have a coffee maker?
A coffee maker.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Asteriktos said:
A coffee maker.
I don't have money for one. Not this month anyway.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Get a French Press. It makes the best tasking coffee in any event. It is very cheap, nonelectric and you can store it in a cabinet.
It just makes one or two cups at a time. There are lots of Youtubes about how to use one.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
You beat me to it!

I use a coffee press....the only issue is getting the grounds out, without letting them go down the sink.

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
What's your take on flavored coffee? Yea or nay?

stpaulphilip

Reaction score
Marc1152 said:

How do you brew it?
- In a Bun coffee pot
- Starbucks French Roast (dark)
- I have a timed grinder for different taste settings; auto drip, espresso, etc.
- Most asuredly
- Me likey
- Creamer is for people who don't like coffee
- I don't have a French Press, so I'd grab my dog
Etc.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Like any true addict, I don't usually drink it for the taste.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
You beat me to it!

I use a coffee press....the only issue is getting the grounds out, without letting them go down the sink.
Go to the dollar store and by a strainer that fits your sink drain. The grounds make good compost.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
simplygermain said:
Asteriktos said:
Yerba Mate' - matine is similar to caffeine. It's a South American herbal tea
Cold mate is excellent.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
simplygermain said:
Asteriktos said:
I enjoy yerba myself (note my present avatar  :)), but the taste doesn't always appeal to North Americans. It's one of those things you'll either love or you'll hate. But there are many ways to prepare it.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
simplygermain said:
Asteriktos said:
Cold mate is excellent.
Cold mate is known as tereré. You can spice it up with fresh herbs (I like any of basil, mint, lemon balm, etc.) or a bit of lemon. Really just about anything that appeals. And best served in a proper guampa (cow's horn).

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
For best tasting "black" coffee....it has to McDonalds!  :D

Sorry...it's got this nice mellow flavor...not burnt, nor bitter....just yummy.  Needs no additives.

Starbucks is always burnt and has a bitter aftertaste...you almost have to add something to it.  Even my hair smells like smoke after sitting in there for a while.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Starbucks is always burnt and has a bitter aftertaste...you almost have to add something to it.  Even my hair smells like smoke after sitting in there for a while.
I'm with you on the Starbucks. Even their "blond" roast somehow tastes burnt!  ::) Almost as bad as the Maxwell House on the vending machines at work  :p

peacenprayer

Reaction score
Marc1152 said:

How do you brew it?

Etc.
1) The first time I tryed Greek style coffee my brain expolded. If I can make it like that I do. Otherwise I believe the percolator is the way to go.
2) Presidents Choice is my favorite pre-ground coffee, Kicking Horse for beans.
3) I prefer to grind my own, fresher coffee tastes better. I have a Black & Decker grinder.
4)I don't know if I do. I smell its, sip it, take a drink and savour the after flavor, give my self a pat on the back for a job well done. I like my coffee bold and strong.
5)Bah to the stuff I get at the counter, but there beans, while expensive are reeeeally nice. Give me a bag of Yukon Bold bean and you have a friend for life.
6) I needn't worry about that. I drink it black. Also I'm lactose intolerant. I have no tolerance for lactose...
7) I'd die in the fire trying to make my choice.

Coffee is an art. I'm still working on perfecting it. I looove coffee.

peacenprayer

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
For best tasting "black" coffee....it has to McDonalds!  :D

Sorry...it's got this nice mellow flavor...not burnt, nor bitter....just yummy.  Needs no additives.

I have to agree. I was really surprised when I tried their coffee for the first time. Its excellent.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
For decent coffee one has to go overseas pretty much. If they are in the US I mean. American coffee is over-roasted and so, bitter.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
How do you brew it?
-Either a drip pot with an insulated thermos (hot plates ruin coffee in a matter of minutes) or with a french press.

-I support local roasters that buy fair trade, organic beans.  Peace Coffee and L’Etoile du Nord is usually what I go with.  Peace Coffee's Peruvian is what I currently have.

-Yes.  Burr grinder.

Do you know how to "Taste" coffee?
-Yes.

-Starburnts.

-I don't like dairy cream with my coffee.  While I usually drink it black I will occasionally add some coconut cream.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I tried Yerba Mate' the other day for the first time and I loved it

-I always make it in my espresso maker at home or Greek style
-I don't usually have time to focus on taste but I like San Francisco bay espresso
-I always grind it.  I have a Cappresso Cool grinder
-once again I don't usually have time to focus on taste but sometimes when I have time on Saturday mornings I do like savouring it, I haven't mastered the official "tasting" that the real enthusiasts at work keep talking about
-starbucks is okay but only when I forget to make my own, I would never drink it if I had the option (long commute to work)
-I don't put cream or sugar in my coffee anyways so no substitution needed, however people keep insisting that honey is a good substitute for both
- I would grab my [espresso maker], my dog is smart enough to get out by himself (but I would grab my dog if he really did need help)

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
There is a very cool show on the Travel Channel tonight ( Tuesday),"Dangerous Grounds" with Todd Carmichael who is a famous coffee roaster ( owner of a chain of coffee shops). Tonight he is going to Ethiopia where coffee drinking began.

I shall make a cup and get comfy. It's on at 9 pm Eastern and there is usually a repeat on at 8 Pm.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/dangerous-grounds/articles/q-and-a-with-todd-carmichael

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
- I would grab my [espresso maker], my dog is smart enough to get out by himself (but I would grab my dog if he really did need help)

Exactly ! You are a reasonable person.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:
There is a very cool show on the Travel Channel tonight ( Tuesday),"Dangerous Grounds" with Todd Carmichael who is a famous coffee roaster ( owner of a chain of coffee shops). Tonight he is going to Ethiopia where coffee drinking began.

I shall make a cup and get comfy. It's on at 9 pm Eastern and there is usually a repeat on at 8 Pm.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/dangerous-grounds/articles/q-and-a-with-todd-carmichael
ah, thanks for reminding me...

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Marc1152 said:

How do you brew it?
Either by drip (Cuisinart with thermal carafe) or press - (completely due to my husband's patience)

I love the African blends.

Cuisenart grinder thingy. . .have a hand grinder and the table top grinder. 

Taste?  That would slow the caffeine uptake entirely too much.  It should taste good without much of a hassle.  *imo*

Over priced.

I go with nothing. 

I have an emergency stash in my car - so the dog. 

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
a lightly roasted Guatemalan is my favorite brew, I wish it was easier to find.

I am a high school teacher and if I didn't drink coffee all day I don't know how I'd survive 100+ students.

I use a french press when camping, Bunn coffee maker in the house (my parents bought me this), black and decker drip in my classroom.  I usually spend 8-10 bucks a pound.  I only use cream/sugar at diners or other times I pick up cheap coffee.

Fr.Aidan

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.sarisburium.blogspot.com
"What brands do you like?"

Central Market Dark French Roast (fair trade, etc., etc.), various similar beans, Folger's Black Silk.

"What is your favorite?"

Central Market Dark French Roast. But all kinds of weird volcanic-soil varieties I like. I had some Oaxacan coffee from Mexico I liked. And there is always the Black Silk to fall back on.

"Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?"

Yes, usually. I don't know what brand it is, it was a present from an Abbess.

"Do you know how to "Taste" coffee?"

Insert in mouth. Are there more steps?

"What is your opinion of Starbucks?"

Their coffee is always burned, way overpriced, they advocate for gay marriage, which is immoral... opinion of them is pretty low.

"How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?"

I never can make up my mind. Nothing really works in coffee but milk. I like the Coconut Cream creamer pretty well. Most all the creamers contain huge amounts of the toxic waste called "high fructose corn syrup," which is a very serious threat to human health, so you might as well consume toxic, radiated sewage or something. Plus those creamers do generally contain traces of whey derivatives, except for one called MimicCreme, which doesn't taste good, really. Sometimes just do black. It's 95% of the challenge in the Fast, for me.

"If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?"

N/A. Don't have either in the rectory. I didn't even know what a French press was, until I started reading this thread. I never ground beans, until I got a present of a grinder from a Mother Abbess of our Russian Orthodox Church. She had asked her spiritual father once if it was even proper for a monastic to be drinking coffee, and he told her she was only allowed to drink proper coffee--no "Maxwell House" American nonsense (my words). Eternal be his memory.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
Fr.Aidan said:
"What brands do you like?"

Central Market Dark French Roast (fair trade, etc., etc.), various similar beans, Folger's Black Silk.

"What is your favorite?"

Central Market Dark French Roast. But all kinds of weird volcanic-soil varieties I like. I had some Oaxacan coffee from Mexico I liked. And there is always the Black Silk to fall back on.

"Do you grind the beans yourself? What kind of grinder?"

Yes, usually. I don't know what brand it is, it was a present from an Abbess.

"Do you know how to "Taste" coffee?"

Insert in mouth. Are there more steps?

"What is your opinion of Starbucks?"

Their coffee is always burned, way overpriced, they advocate for gay marriage, which is immoral... opinion of them is pretty low.

"How do you substitute for dairy during the fasts? Non-dairy creamer, nothing?"

I never can make up my mind. Nothing really works in coffee but milk. I like the Coconut Cream creamer pretty well. Most all the creamers contain huge amounts of the toxic waste called "high fructose corn syrup," which is a very serious threat to human health, so you might as well consume toxic, radiated sewage or something. Plus those creamers do generally contain traces of whey derivatives, except for one called MimicCreme, which doesn't taste good, really. Sometimes just do black. It's 95% of the challenge in the Fast, for me.

"If your house was on fire, would you first grab the dog or your French Press?"

N/A. Don't have either in the rectory. I didn't even know what a French press was, until I started reading this thread. I never ground beans, until I got a present of a grinder from a Mother Abbess of our Russian Orthodox Church. She had asked her spiritual father once if it was even proper for a monastic to be drinking coffee, and he told her she was only allowed to drink proper coffee--no "Maxwell House" American nonsense (my words). Eternal be his memory.
Father, have you ever tried just coconut milk or coconut cream, not the "creamers"?  Something like this:

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
Fr.Aidan said:
Can't say that I have. Is it good? How good is it? I'm thirsty for... umm... knowledge.
It is very good.  I wasn't sure that the flavor of coconut would go well in coffee, but it is quite delicious.  I would recommend giving it a try.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Coffee... Wakes me up in the morning and makes sure I have to get up from my desk and walk around once or twice an hour in the afternoon, if you know what I mean.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Ha ha!  It's good to "walk" around every once in a while... Especially if you have a long drive home.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I love coffee. It is all I drink ever since I gave up soda and other carbonated drinks. Many people prefer to use the French Press to brew their coffee, however, I find that the French Press oftentimes causes the coffee to come out excessively bold. I don't like a very bold blend. I prefer a medium to low-bold cup of coffee. I personally think that the best way to brew coffee is through a drip-coffee maker. HOWEVER, be sure to buy a non-disposable metal filter, seeing that the disposable paper filters oftentimes leave a nasty flavor in the coffee.

The best coffee? South America--Colombia to be specific--will always reign supreme in my opinion. Colombian coffee is my absolute favorite. I love the medium acidity along with the freshness and bottom-of-the-barrel aftertaste that their beans possess. A really good brand of Colombian coffee that is surprisingly affordable can be found at World Market. I always like to treat myself to this baby for only $6.99.

Starbucks is absolute garbage in my opinion. The quality of their coffee is actually quite mediocre and average at best--despite what they would try to lead you to believe with their pseudo-coffee culture. Plus, it all taste the same to me at Starbucks and is overpriced for their low quality. Duncan Donuts is superior, but ultimately, I prefer to brew my own coffee.

simplygermain

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com
Stumptown Roasters . Beans ( a Portland based co.)
Buckmaster French Roast. Beans - found also in the Northwest and a bargain at $11.00/3 lbs.
Absolute favorite and expensive... Jergecheffe from Ethiopia - as an espresso

Ethiopian coffee is the best.

I also like a good Turkish coffee with a cardamom pod.

Creamer.. I use a vanilla soy milk or whole milk. Sometimes at work I'll get a dirty chai.

I fresh grind with a Krupps grinder basic model at home or the big grinder at work. My home coffee maker is a new Mr. Coffee with chlorine filter and mesh screen. I love it. It's an automatic set up with 2 settings for strong or regular and can delay the brew with a digital clock.

At work we pull shots... Stumptown blend at 25 sec. 
usually latte or vanilla soy latte.

Starbucks is overrated, burnt, and typically trains for a snobbish workforce. Plus.. the frappuccino is a powdered mix. Gross! A proper frozen coffee should be a simple medium roast of your choice cold brewed in the fridge. Cold infusion enhances the sweetness so less sugar is needed.

You know, I can't help but feel a little pathetic talking about coffee like this. People are starving in the world, man.

Fr.Aidan

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.sarisburium.blogspot.com
Oh, dear, what then about my playing François Couperin ordres on the piano in the youth room all the time? Monks really are not supposed to play musical instruments. Well, at least if you don't do it during Lent and stuff... maybe... oh, who am I kidding? Lord, have mercy.

I have learned more about coffee today than in the previous ten years.

Regarding boldness, coffee can never be too bold. Back in the monastery where I was for 21 years, it would be so strong, I'm never even heard of anyone doing it that way, not before and not since. Now I'm spoiled for life.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
If any of you are near Omaha, Nebraska, Beansmith Roasters has been consistently the best coffee I have ever had.  Just FYI.