• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Combined Eastern/Oriental Orthodox Bible Study

peterfarrington

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.stgeorgeministry.com
Joint Eastern/Oriental Orthodox Bible Study

On Tuesday, 26th August, at the Orthodox Church of the Holy Resurrection at Dresden, a joint evening of Prayer and Bible Study will take place including the members of the Antiochian Orthodox community of St Michael and the British Orthodox community of St Chad.

All the people of Stoke and the surrounding area are welcome to attend and participate in this spiritual evening, which will include reflection on a portion of the Holy Scriptures from the perspective of the teaching and interpretation of the Orthodox Christian tradition.

Bible Study - 18:30 pm
Orthodox Vespers - 19:15 pm

Refreshments will be served.

Venue - The Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church, Red Bank, Dresden, Stoke on Trent, ST3 4PD

For further details contact either Father Samuel Carter (samuel.carter@ntlworld.com) or Father Peter Farrington (fatherpeter@britishorthodox.org)

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing ... (Its not realistic to go to Bible study in a different state or location, ...Whereever it may be)

Irish45

Reaction score
Hello Father,

Have you considered producing a live stream of the Bible study?  I don't know how much interested it would generate, but looking at some factors I think it may be a lot.  I bet there are a good amount of regular posters on these forms who would be interested.  More importantly, It seems a small amount of Orthodox Christians are in the unfortunate circumstance of living over an hour away from their parish.  It might be nice for them, especially for those in young parents who struggle to get out of the house at night because of dinner, baths homework ect.  Whatever happens I hope it goes well for all who participate.

Jonathan

High Elder
Reaction score
There are plenty of recorded sermons people can listen to...but live streaming just means all the physically present participants will feel shy about who is watching and not participate, reducing it from a discussion to a lecture... Which is already readily available. One group at my church tried just recording and found that discussion was completely dead until the recorded switched off.

Irish45

Reaction score
Jonathan said:
There are plenty of recorded sermons people can listen to...but live streaming just means all the physically present participants will feel shy about who is watching and not participate, reducing it from a discussion to a lecture... Which is already readily available. One group at my church tried just recording and found that discussion was completely dead until the recorded switched off.
You bring up good points that I did not think of.  I realize there are lectures and sermons that are already online, but the feel of participating or at least observing something live has a different feel.  Plus so many posters on here are already familiar with Father Peter.  Despite that, I agree it's not worth it if it takes away form the Bible study.  Your point makes me think it would and perhaps a live stream format would be more appropriate for a lecture.  In fact it would be cool to have a lecture format with a chat for online users to participate.  It breaks my heart to hear how far people have to drive for their parish.  I have three young kids, my church is down the street and it's still hard to participate as much as I would like.