• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Comedian and actor Robin Williams has died

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-dies_n_5670050.html

Oh, no. It is apparently a suicide.

Very shocked. I just saw the news online.

:'( :'( :'(

Lord have mercy.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Ohhhhhh no.  Oh what a shame. 

Lord have mercy on Mr. William's soul.  Lord, please have mercy. 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
:(

I wonder what brought him to that point.  Very sad ending to his life.

May the Lord forgive him his sins.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Many comedians suffer with severe depression. Lord have mercy on him.

I won't bother saying "Memory Eternal" because he'll always be remembered.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
This is indeed very tragic news.  I always enjoyed his work.  May the Lord grant him eternal rest. 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Lord have mercy and memory eternal. It will be Dead Poets Society night tomorrow. :(

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,60194.0.html

Prayer request for him ^

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
LizaSymonenko said:
:(

I wonder what brought him to that point.  Very sad ending to his life.

May the Lord forgive him his sins.
As I recall, he had just come back here to northwest Oregon for more substance-abuse rehabilitation. A friend met him in the grocery store several years ago, when he was here the first time, and said he was very quiet and kind.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Probably Not all suicides go to hell but it is not an advisable course of action there might be many suicides in hell or maybe not

Memory Eternal to our beloved actor who always wanted to make us smile :)
Let us have hope in the fair judgement and mercy of God for all our circumstances and conditions are different

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
mikeforjesus said:
Probably Not all suicides go to hell but it is not an advisable course of action there might be many suicides in hell or maybe not
Regardless of what happens the other side of eternity, suicide is NEVER an advisable course of action.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
PeterTheAleut said:
mikeforjesus said:
Regardless of what happens the other side of eternity, suicide is NEVER an advisable course of action.
Very wise advice.

Lord have mercy on Robin Williams and on his family and children.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I must say suicide is not forgiven if one is in their right mind but no one but God knows that and what is in people's heart

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
I'm no psychiatrist, but I don't think anyone who commits suicide is in their right mind. I can never pass judgment on anyone who commits suicide. How curious it is that we praise [borderline political content removed - Nephi], but we condemn to hell those that are driven to suicide by hopelessness and despair.

Selam

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Very sad. He did make me laugh many times.

May God have mercy upon him.

Philipa

Reaction score
I have read in some newspapers that he has suffered from severe depression for sometime.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
Lord have mercy on him.

My FB page was *flooded* yesterday by this. It's really unexpected, at least for us who didn't know him past his work.

I read that he suffered from chronic depression. Today we know that some forms of depression are caused by a severe unbalance in brain chemistry. Once people take the prescribed medication, the risk of commiting suicide decreases, at least for most. It seems he was not very disciplined with his medicines.

I don't think that suicides caused by a physical problem out of anyone's control or by people driven into despair by unbearable pains are the kind of suicide that God alerts us as a great sin. Probably what the admonition aims at is suicides by pride, the sort of thing that is caused by "I'd rather kill myself than admit I was wrong" or "This is not the perfect life I imagined, and since for me it's that or nothing, so nothing" and similar passions that are actual revolt against God.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
If he knew he would certainly go to hell for suicide and he did it he would go to hell otherwise if he was deceived by false teachers I hope not if he was not in his right mind
But after saying that is there no more false teachers so are future suicides hopeless? But some suicides are not planned but occur due to not finding a way out of pain and pain is too much to bear. What other situations are suicide forgivable?
We can't judge any soul only Jesus has the keys to the kingdom of heaven and can save whoever He wants to save and He acts fairly

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
mikeforjesus said:
If he knew he would certainly go to hell for suicide and he did it he would go to hell otherwise if he was deceived by false teachers I hope not if he was not in his right mind
But after saying that is there no more false teachers so are future suicides hopeless? But some suicides are not planned but occur due to not finding a way out of pain and pain is too much to bear. What other situations are suicide forgivable?
God knows. We are not to judge.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I added that before you did  :-\ or do you mean only God knows other times when suicide is forgivable?

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
mikeforjesus said:
I added that before you did but do you mean only God knows other times when suicide is forgivable?
I mean that only God knows in every case. I gave a criteria above that makes sense to me, but I really don't know if that reflects God's understanding of it.

All I know is that for every sin we make, God is trying to save us, not to condemn. He will do His best to keep us with Him and draw us to real repetance.

Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I'm no psychiatrist, but I don't think anyone who commits suicide is in their right mind. I can never pass judgment on anyone who commits suicide. How curious it is that we praise politicians and soldiers who kill children and civilians with dispassionate premeditation, but we condemn to hell those that are driven to suicide by hopelessness and despair.

Selam
My thoughts exactly.

When I was 21, a very good friend of mine took her life. Our families had been friends since they came over here from the old country 100 years ago. She was only 19.

As she was Ukrainian Catholic the family had to "lie" to the priest and say it was an "accidental overdose" of her psych meds, rather than the intentional ending of her life that we knew it was. They lied so that she would be buried in the Church.

I asked my UOC priest about this, and whether he would bury a victim of suicide. He said that he would, and that he could not think of a single instance where someone would be in their "right mind" and kill themselves. For someone to take their own life was obvious that they were in incredible emotional distress and agony, and that he believed God to be a God of mercy, and that He would have mercy on them.

During an Orthodox funeral service, one of the last things the priest does before closing the casket (for those unfamiliar with an Orthodox funeral, the casket is open during the funeral service) is ask God for forgiveness for any and all sins the person may have committed, and to accept the person into His kingdom.

I have always taken great comfort in this.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
It is sad that a person who brought happiness to so many could not find happiness for himself. Sad, but unfortunately not uncommon.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Punch said:
It is sad that a person who brought happiness to so many could not find happiness for himself. Sad, but unfortunately not uncommon.
+1  My thought exactly on this as well.

May he be granted rest!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/showbiz/robin-williams-ashes/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

According to this report, Williams was cremated and his ashes scattered in San Francisco Bay.

Lord have mercy.

Dracula

Reaction score
Faith
Order of the Dragon
Jurisdiction
Global