• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Confession and communion of children aged 7-11 years

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
How are you getting on with this? Voluntarily or with the filing of the parents, confession before Communion is obligatory or optional, how often, and most importantly - whether you have before your eyes the fruit of a particular approach?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Are there a lot of forum members in the 7-11 age range?

servulus

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I'm curious how others approach it. I will have 6 kids in this age range by the end of the year. We're relatively new converts too.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
I remember being a teenager. (Something happened though) 

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Serbian Orthodox Church - Midwest
Consultation with the priest. Once they are old enough and confess for the first time 7-8ish then we start them on fasting rules, fasting before communion, etc. I have a 9 and an 8 year old and all my kids have received Communion since Baptism.

-Admiralnick

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
No one expects the Spanish Inquisitiom!

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
The problem with confessing children is that they develop at different rates - one, and two - little sin ) If demand confession from a child who has reached a certain age, but does not understand what to say to him, it will be profanation, and will lead to hypocrisy. If you delay this case, there is a danger frivolous approach to the sacrament of Holy communion, and even unworthy of communion.
There is only one way out - an individual approach.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Which is why a confessor should be sensitive to children's spiritual development.

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
isxodnik said:
The problem with confessing children is that they develop at different rates - one, and two - little sin ) If demand confession from a child who has reached a certain age, but does not understand what to say to him, it will be profanation, and will lead to hypocrisy. If you delay this case, there is a danger frivolous approach to the sacrament of Holy communion, and even unworthy of communion.
See there's the Rub. How do you approach Communion? Do you approach it as:

Behold, the servant of God ____ receives the precious Body and Blood of Our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and unto life ever lasting

Or:

One is only worthy of Communion after having confessed (e.g) confess every Sunday if you wish to receive which then leads to a host of other problems. Being that I subscribe to the former, making a confession of small sins is perfectly acceptable for my situation.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
isxodnik said:
Confessors do (or should) know all that - part of the reason why in Greek-tradition jurisdictions not all priests are confessors. So why are you lecturing us? What are your qualifications?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
isxodnik said:
It's helpful that many priests have--or if they are older had--a house full of children to go home to after their daily work duties end. This close observation of children no doubt teaches a lot about child development that can be of use when performing church tasks.

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
admiralnick said:

Behold, the servant of God ____ receives the precious Body and Blood of Our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and unto life ever lasting

Or:

One is only worthy of Communion after having confessed (e.g) confess every Sunday if you wish to receive which then leads to a host of other problems. Being that I subscribe to the former, making a confession of small sins is perfectly acceptable for my situation.
This is a sectarian approach: to snatch one thing and neglect the rest. Both the Holy Scriptures, and the Holy fathers, and the tradition of the Church, and finally the experience itself, tell us about the necessity and beneficence of confession.

Arachne said:
Confessors do (or should) know all that - part of the reason why in Greek-tradition jurisdictions not all priests are confessors. So why are you lecturing us? What are your qualifications?
I? Lectures? I share arguments on an interesting topic to me, and you project some of your problems on me. Breathe deeply.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
isxodnik said:
Arachne said:
I? Lectures? I share arguments on an interesting topic to me, and you project some of your problems on me. Breathe deeply.
Yes, you. We cut you some slack because you're struggling with English.

You asked a question in the OP, and now you get to kick back and see if there's anyone around here with answers to share. Leave the child development approach to parents and priests. :)

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if not, why do you teach me? There are participants who write entire treatises on how, in their opinion, the Church should be arranged; there are Catholics engaged in aggressive proselytism; there are supporters of unholy new education in Ukraine - but there are no claims against them. How am I different from them?

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
isxodnik said:
If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if not, why do you teach me? There are participants who write entire treatises on how, in their opinion, the Church should be arranged; there are Catholics engaged in aggressive proselytism; there are supporters of unholy new education in Ukraine - but there are no claims against them. How am I different from them?
Oh, unlike your opinion of Communism being completely compatible and symmetrical with Orthodox Christianity, against the testimony of Saint Tikhon of Moscow, Saint Peter of Krutitsy, Saint John Maximovitch, Seraphim Rose of Blessed Memory, who has a cult-status, and all those who were martyred under the Whore of Communism?

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Eamonomae said:
your opinion of Communism being completely compatible and symmetrical with Orthodox Christianity,
... Is offtop, but - proof, please.

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
isxodnik said:
there are supporters of unholy new education in Ukraine
new formation / neoplasm, sorry.

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
isxodnik said:
admiralnick said:

Or:

This is a sectarian approach: to snatch one thing and neglect the rest. Both the Holy Scriptures, and the Holy fathers, and the tradition of the Church, and finally the experience itself, tell us about the necessity and beneficence of confession.
I think you're not understanding what I'm telling you. The children go to confession with some regularity (once a month or so). In the time between confessions they receive communion every week as they have since Baptism.
Before they made their first confession they went to communion with no restrictions. As long as they know right vs wrong there is no reason they can't confess.

-Nick

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
admiralnick said:
I think you're not understanding what I'm telling you. The children go to confession with some regularity (once a month or so). In the time between confessions they receive communion every week as they have since Baptism.
Before they made their first confession they went to communion with no restrictions. As long as they know right vs wrong there is no reason they can't confess.

-Nick
Yes, that's more understandable, thank you.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
isxodnik said:
Eamonomae said:
your opinion of Communism being completely compatible and symmetrical with Orthodox Christianity,
... Is offtop, but - proof, please.
I'm busy with work in my life, sorry for the lack of response, and you can respond all you want when you are unmuted.

But my argument was an inference of what appears to be unequivocable support for the Soviet government, including these posts:

isxodnik said:
Volnutt said:
Ok, but "Soviet" is not a nation in the same way that "Russian" (or even "Slav" is), it merely refers to a system of government (which overlaps significantly with Stalinism even though they aren't exactly the same). One can be against that system of government without being against the people under it. Otherwise that would be like saying that to be anti-capitalist is to be anti-American.
The Soviet Union is not just a system of government, it is primarily an idea. The idea of creativity, freedom, brotherhood. The Soviet Union was created by the Russian people - and the Soviet Union formed the Russian people. You can criticize specific things, but you can not separate the Soviet Union from the Russians. (And by the whole world, in General.) These martyrs grew up in the USSR. Of course, Christianity transformed and sanctified them, and yet.
isxodnik said:
Can I tell you what it looks like on the other side of the ocean? ROCOR came out, and sometimes just ran away from Russia. Because of hatred to red-bellied the Bolsheviks, politicized members of ROCOR have made mistakes, made splits. In addition to the laudable desire to preserve faith, there were attempts to escape from reality, to preserve tsarist Russia. Something similar can now be seen in the Greek communities.

Meanwhile, life went on, and now Russia - is a civil war, and collectivization, and Stalin-Gulag, and victory in world war II, and space, and the arms race, and the betrayal of Communist ideals, and lawlessness 90`s, and social Darwinism in recent years... All this is an integral part of Russian history. And all this way The Russian Church passed together with the people. Whatever labels they try to put on it, the ROC lives. ROCOR also lives, but in relation to Russia and the Russian people - it is external.
isxodnik said:
In Mother Russia, even KGB officers believe in God ))

https://maxminimum.livejournal.com/223152.html
In the rehabilitation center he confessed a wheelchair user with a crooked hand. It felt strange, the unusual, very attentive and keen eye for regular people, but this effort to hide the care. Something professional, apparently.
And it turned out. Then we got to talking, the man was a pensioner of the state security bodies. His whole life is all peeping and eavesdropping.
⁃ Why did you become a believer?  I couldn't resist asking.
⁃ Know when I after the army in special courses studied in the Soviet Union, we are so adjusted that the life we did not esteem for our nation and our officer spoke at important occasions: with God. Since then, and the believer.
isxodnik said:
- Victor, when would you like to live: now, or under communism?
- Sure, now! After all, communism will last millions of years, and the current time is coming to an end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNtvLgmD9M

isxodnik said:
Racists don't like communists ))

(Picture of racist people protesting communists)

And your own signature, "kill commie for mommy."

isxodnik

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Yes, these are my quotes, but to see in them the statement of coincidence of Orthodoxy and communism, it is necessary to have a rich imagination. Communism is a materialistic doctrine, and Orthodoxy is the way to God.