Conversions in Philipines

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any of our Philipine readers hear of this event?
----------------
Philippine denominations join the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Aust. & NZ

We would like to inform you that after long discussions with two denominations from the Philippines, one belong to the Catholic Patriarchate of the East and the other Evangelical, we reached an agreement in principles,
to accept them in our Antiochian Archdiocese.  The Archdiocese will take care of the education, training and ordination of all the thirty plus religious leaders and their followers.  It is a historic moments in the history of the Patriarchate of Antioch and the Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand

(article continues, including donation information)
---------------

Where's sohma hatori when you need him?  ;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting... Where is the date on that announcement?  I'd love to know when it was posted.

It sounds like a wonderful development.  I hope the Spirit continues to guide the leaders of the Archdiocese, and uses them to teach and edify the new Orthodox Christians!

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The announcement was posted on the 'Latest News' section of the Antiochian Archdiocesan website for Austyralia and New Zealand (which also includes the Philipines, I guess!) 3/20/2008.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
FrChris said:
The announcement was posted on the 'Latest News' section of the Antiochian Archdiocesan website for Austyralia and New Zealand (which also includes the Philipines, I guess!) 3/20/2008.
His jurisdiction is the whole Pacific Ocean. It includes Hawaii but not Alaska.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does His Eminence's jurisdiction also include parts of Mainland Asia, such as China, Vietnam, and parts west?

Just curious! I was only thinking that, if His Eminence starts to acquire multiple parishes in the Philipines, perhaps his 'title' should also be amended.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
FrChris said:
Does His Eminence's jurisdiction also include parts of Mainland Asia, such as China, Vietnam, and parts west?

Just curious! I was only thinking that, if His Eminence starts to acquire multiple parishes in the Philipines, perhaps his 'title' should also be amended.
Mainland Asia would belong to the Bishop of Babylon who modern day title is Bishop of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies.

_Seraphim_

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxmysteries.com
FrChris said:
Philippine denominations join the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Aust. & NZ
Well Glory be to God!  :)
That is wonderful news!  I know a young man who lives in a small town in the Philippines.  He is so eager for Orthodoxy.  He has asked me several times if Orthodoxy's missionary presence there will ever reach out from the capital city into the smaller towns and villages.  I will certainly let him know about this... it will be very encouraging.

Thanks for sharing!
+God bless

filipiniana

Reaction score
sohma_hatori said:
By the way, the "Evangelicals" refered in the news article, refer to the Evangelical group of Bishop Heins, a former Episcopalian Bishop in Manila..
Sohma_hatori, the "Evangelical group" being referred to in the said Antiochian news article is the IEMELIF or the Iglesia Evangelica Methodista En Las Islas Filipinas (The Evangelical Methodist Church in the Philippine Islands) lead by BISHOP JEPTAH AGUAS ANICETO.  Please see Delegates from the Philippines (January 2008 Archdiocesan News Article from the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia & New Zealand). 

The official report did not mention anything about a certain "Bishop Heins". Are you referring to Archbishop Hines of the ICCEC or the International Communion of the Charismatic Episcopal Church? As far as I know, Archbishop Hines is married and his Evangelical group in Manila, the capital city of the Philippines, has not approached Metropolitan Archbishop Paul yet. Two former priests of the ICCEC along with their flock from the Southern Luzon province of Sorsogon has affiliated with the Philippine Orthodox Church under the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong and South East Asia (EP) in 2006.

FrCris, Metropolitan Archbishop Paul Saliba is the PRIMATE of Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines (Please see below).

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, filipiniana!

sohma_hatori

High Elder
Reaction score
Butuan City, Agusan del Norte, Republic of the Phi
filipiniana said:
Sohma_hatori, the "Evangelical group" being referred to in the said Antiochian news article is the IEMELIF or the Iglesia Evangelica Methodista En Las Islas Filipinas (The Evangelical Methodist Church in the Philippine Islands) lead by BISHOP JEPTAH AGUAS ANICETO.  Please see Delegates from the Philippines (January 2008 Archdiocesan News Article from the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia & New Zealand). 
Hello Filipiniana!! :D

I got the info from Rev. Fr. Kleopas Daclan, the Greek Orthodox Priest in the mission there in Koronadal City, South Cotabato..
Thanks very much the info!!

filipiniana

Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
Thank you for the information filipiniana, and welcome!

Thank you Mr. Ozgeorge.

sohma_hatori said:
Hello Filipiniana!! :D

I got the info from Rev. Fr. Kleopas Daclan, the Greek Orthodox Priest in the mission there in Koronadal City, South Cotabato..
Thanks very much the info!!

Sorry Mr. Sohma_hatori. The information you got from the  Filipino Greek Orthodox priest in South Cotabato appears to be incorrect.

You can find the email address of Bishop Jeptah Aniceto at the Harvard Divinity School Summer Institute (click). I suggest that you drop him an email for more accurate and reliable information on the Antiochian Orthodox Mission in the Philippines. If I'm not mistaken he is presently in Davao.

filipiniana

Reaction score
Let me share you what I got from the Orthodox Wikipedia:

"The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand is set to accept two denominations in the Philippines into the Archdiocese, including over 30 religious leaders and 35 churches with 6000 adherents. This has been heralded as a "historic moment in the history of the Patriarchate of Antioch and the Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand". There is also some evidence to suggest that Metr. Abp Paul is now the Primate for the Philippines."

Please see RECENT EVENTS from the Orthodox Wikipedia under the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and New Zealand.

ozgeorge said:
Thank you for the information filipiniana, and welcome!

Theognosis

Reaction score
I find this development hard to accept, given the fact that the Ecumenical Patriarchate has already established several parishes in the Philippines.  There is no need for Antioch to accept evangelical and heretical groups to "join" Holy Orthodoxy and complicate the situation, which is generally stable.

http://www.ocp.uni.cc/

The Annunciation of the Theotokos Orthodox Cathedral is a parish of the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and All–Southeast Asia under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. It is currently the only full Orthodox parish in Metro Manila. Some independent protestant groups have identified themselves "orthodox" although they are not part of our Orthodox faith community. We are the only canonical Orthodox Church in the Philippines.

filipiniana

Reaction score
Theognosis said:
I find this development hard to accept, given the fact that the Ecumenical Patriarchate has already established several parishes in the Philippines.  There is no need for Antioch to accept evangelical and heretical groups to "join" Holy Orthodoxy and complicate the situation, which is generally stable.

http://www.ocp.uni.cc/

The Annunciation of the Theotokos Orthodox Cathedral is a parish of the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and All–Southeast Asia under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. It is currently the only full Orthodox parish in Metro Manila. Some independent protestant groups have identified themselves "orthodox" although they are not part of our Orthodox faith community. We are the only canonical Orthodox Church in the Philippines.

Christ cursing the Fig tree. The barren fig tree looked good but there was no fruit on it.​

"And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only,
and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away."
(Matthew 21:19)

"The withering of the fig tree was a miracle of special symbolism, since the tree had leaves, but no fruit. It is symbolic of the many people who claim ethical and religious identity, but who in reality have empty lives that yield no fruit."
-Holy Week in the Eastern Orthodox Church

"The fig tree means the synagogue of the Jews, which has only leaves, that is, the visible letter of the law, but not the fruit of the Spirit. But also every man who gives himself over to the sweetness of the present life is likened to a fig tree, who has no spiritual fruit to give to Jesus who is hungry for such fruit, but only leaves, that is, temporal appearances which fall away and are gone. This man, then, hears himself cursed. For Christ says, Go, ye accursed, into the fire. But he is also dried up; for as he roasts in the flame, his tongue is parched and withered like that of the rich man of the parable, who in his life had ignored Lazarus."
-Blessed Theophylact, Commentary on Matthew

The apparently healthy fig tree without fruit symbolizes an apparently healthy Orthodox Christian life that does not produce actions and behaviors that God wants from us. A  person can appear to have deep faith that carries momentous burdens and appear to talk with God fervently in prayer, but at the same time, it is all a show because it does not demonstrate the love of Christ in daily actions.

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
Theognosis said:
I find this development hard to accept, given the fact that the Ecumenical Patriarchate has already established several parishes in the Philippines. 
To be honest I have always had a real problem with Constantinople having any parishes in Asia since it is very clear that the Patriarch of Antioch has jurisdiction over all the east.