• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Conversions in Philipines

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
sohma_hatori said:
The Davao Vicariate of the Antiochians in the Philippines is requesting to canonically leave the Australian Archdiocese for the ROCOR...
Well, if this is true, I imagine they will whip things into shape.

sohma_hatori

High Elder
Reaction score
Butuan City, Agusan del Norte, Republic of the Phi
Alveus Lacuna said:
sohma_hatori said:
The Davao Vicariate of the Antiochians in the Philippines is requesting to canonically leave the Australian Archdiocese for the ROCOR...
Well, if this is true, I imagine they will whip things into shape.
His Eminence Vladyka Hilarion said that if things push through with the canonical transfer, he plans to re-cathecize the people there first before formally receiving them into the Russian Orthodox Church as he is also well aware of how messy things have become there. I'm wondering however if this isn't going to cause yet again another bickering on jurisdiction, though I am very much hoping that it will not. I am very happy to know that many groups of people out there who are interested in bringing the Filipino people to the Church of Christ.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Please, inform us about the issue. Nice to realise that you are all right, sohma_hatori.

sohma_hatori

High Elder
Reaction score
mike said:
Please, inform us about the issue. Nice to realise that you are all right, sohma_hatori.
Thanks for the concern.  :) If this is about the recent wave of typhoons that hit our country, well things are still in bad shape. About a thousand or more are dead, many more thousands left homeless. And as if this wasn't enough, drought has also ruined the southernmost part of the Philippines, it has only been now that the monsoon rains which were suppose to hit the southern part by August only just came, and this ruined rice harvests. But thatnk God, that we were still able to salvage our crops even if just a little. Please pray for us!

If I am not mistaken, the Russian Orthodox Church in Hong Kong is under the MP and Indonesia is under the ROCOR. What I've heard from Fr. Martinian is that both MP and ROCOR are coordinating on this matter since most overseas Filipino converts to Orthodoxy are with the MP. In any event, I pray that things will go well for all of us here. I pray that there will be less bickering, and more cooperation. I know this sounds rather too idealistic or something, and that a reality check might just slap me in the face, but I still hope and pray that everybody will be ok with each other here. After all, with the rising popularity of "Christian" Sects that deny Christ here in the Philippines (i.e. Iglesia ni Cristo, Kingdom of Jesus Christ under Apollo Quiboloy, etc), it is only through the brotherly efforts of the many Orthodox people's here (Greek, Serbian, Russian expatriates, and the few Filipinos who have come to the Church) that will combat the spread of heresy.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
This thread:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26348.msg415777/topicseen.html#msg415777

reminded me of this thread.

Has the dust settled in the Phillipines?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
SAINT ANASTASIA MISSION

Friday 2nd July 2010: We welcome the new Western Rite ROCOR mission of Saint Anastasia in Davao City in the Philippines. The mission is led by Chrysostom Canezal, and is planning to acquire a house in Davao City for use as the Saint Anastasia Orthodox Centre.
source

It looks like ROCOR has started acting there. Did they take over Antiochian Missions or is it something new?

Fr. John D-Alton

Reaction score
Good question. Some of the people are new, others are ex-Antiochian. May God give the very godly Vl. Hilarion wisdom to deal with people who will probably just want to move on again somewhere else once they discover that their ways are questioned.
There are sadly so many who want no accountability and think that they have learnt orthodoxy in 10 minutes :-(
The critics will no doubt now attack Moscow as well as Antioch. But wait till the Romanians, Bulgarians, Macedonians and Alexandrians also arrive ;-)

Lord have mercy,

Fr. John D'Alton
Holy Transfiguration Mission
Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
mike said:
SAINT ANASTASIA MISSION

Friday 2nd July 2010: We welcome the new Western Rite ROCOR mission of Saint Anastasia in Davao City in the Philippines. The mission is led by Chrysostom Canezal, and is planning to acquire a house in Davao City for use as the Saint Anastasia Orthodox Centre.
source

It looks like ROCOR has started acting there. Did they take over Antiochian Missions or is it something new?
My information is that this is a "one off" Western Rite mission.  

Several months ago when the Antiochian Vicariate of Davao approached the Russian Church Abroad for reception (and I understand that the Antiochian Met Paul of Sydney was agreeable) the Russian Church Abroad declined the request because it does not have the wherewithal in terms of clergy and resources to adequately assist and oversee such a large scale project in the Philippines.

PS:  I clicked on the Tag "EP Bashing" and it leads to 40 threads which bash the EP.   Why is the EP so massively disliked in the Orthodox world?   :(

Reaction score
This is a bit off-topic, at least judging from the selection of replies that I read, but I live in the Philippines, just joined the forum and wanted to say "Hi".  

I hope to attend an Orthodox service or two soon since my interest in liturgy has grown over the years and I have only attended one Orthodox, or rather Eastern service (a Greek Catholic one in Boston).  

One reason for my interest is my conversion from the Episcopal Church (USA) to the Roman Catholic church several years ago and in those years I have tried to stay active in Anglican Use circles.  With the announcement of the coming Anglican Ordinariates within the Catholic Church, there has been more interest in Anglican Use and a few of us are trying to put together a small AU group here in the Philippines.

I hope too to learn some more about the Orthodox perspective on various issues.  I have read a bit on Orthodoxy especially from Frederica Mathewes-Greene, a feminist pro-lifer, wife of a priest, and Orthodox convert from Anglicanism, which I enjoyed and found deepened by faith.

According to the Board Policy we should not describe Eastern Rite Catholics in the way you did as it can be received as an offence. BTW welcome to the forum.

mike

onesimuscruz

Reaction score
is there anybody who could confirm if the Davao vicariate under Fr. Jeptha Aniceto was officially received into ROCOR? Their list in the Philippines parishes in the antiochian orthodox australian website seemed deleted.
What happened?

FrMichael

Reaction score
Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR missions in the Philippines by his Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion in writing last year.  ROCOR has two operating missions in the Philippines, both under Saint Petroc Monastery.  We have no connection with any other jurisdiction in the Philippines and we do not acknowledge anyone's suzerainty there it is a missionary area.

Fr. Michael

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
FrMichael said:
We have no connection with any other jurisdiction in the Philippines
Is that the thing to be proud of?

philip xavier

Reaction score
Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR missions in the Philippines.

That leads to more questions and blank walls of silence.

Hope the ROCOR mission moves fast toward North of the Philippines. Its indeed a vast mission area, and the grains are ready for harvest.

Lets pray for more harvesters...Lord have mercy..

SubdeaconDavid

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com
philip xavier said:
Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR missions in the Philippines.

That leads to more questions and blank walls of silence.

Hope the ROCOR mission moves fast toward North of the Philippines. Its indeed a vast mission area, and the grains are ready for harvest.

Lets pray for more harvesters...Lord have mercy..
For information re the ROCOR western rite missions in the Philippines, which claims 200 plus souls ( originating and released from Antioch, I read) see: http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com/698-2/

Saint Thomas Orthodox Mission
Mindanao, the Philippines 

Thomas, the faithful servant and disciple of Christ, filled with divine grace, cried out from the depth of his love: You are my Lord and my God!

The Saint Thomas Mission is a thriving Orthodox community of 140 former Old Catholics who entered the Church in 2008 through Antioch and, after obtaining canonical release, were later received by ROCOR with the blessing of Metropolitan Hilarion.  They, and their pastor, whom they refer to as Father from habit and affection (and therefore so do their brothers and sisters in Christ in England), own their own church building which they use for regular Sunday services and meetings throughout the week. The faithfulness of these people worshipping together and raising their children in the Faith without a priest of their own is an inspiring witness.  They are all Chrismated Orthodox and have for the past year received occasional visits from Orthodox clergy.  The mission is in the middle of an area where the moslem Abbu Sayyef terrorists operate and no Priest serving this mission visiting from Australia will be named or have his schedule known.

Advice on travel and terrorism in the Philippines from the Australian government

“We strongly advise you not to travel to Mindanao, including mainland Mindanao, the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, including kidnapping, and related counter-terrorism operations.  Armed clashes between Philippine security forces and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front could occur without warning, including in central Mindanao”.

St Thomas' traditionally built church.

Some of the faithful of St Thomas’ Mission who came as a family to the fullness of Christ in Holy Orthodoxy.

Interior of the church.

As you can see there are many children and young people, please pray particularly for them that they continue to be blessed to grow up in the Orthodox Church.
Saint Anastasia Orthodox Mission

Mimndanao, the Philippines

This formerly Old Catholic mission is without its own pastor, with only some lay leaders and occasional visits from Orthodox clergy.  About eighty people, it incorporated as a ROCOR mission and is searching for a property to use for worship.

Jeptah Aguas Aniceto and Chrysostom Canezal

We realise that the activities of these two have caused legitimate concern and remind you that they have been formally excluded from involvement in the Philippines Missions by the Metropolitan at Fr Michael’s request. The formal document of exclusion has been circulated in the Philippines, the original is held in Saint Petroc Monastery.

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Greetings in Christ:

I am happy to hear that their are Orthodox Christians in the Philipines and they are under the Patriarchate of Antioch. 

I work with people from the Philipines. :)

May God bless the converts to the Antiochian Orthodox Church and may God bless Metropolitan Philip.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
You mean Metropolitan Paul, don't you?

Welcome to the forum!

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
AFAIR Metropolitan Philip is the Antiochian Metropolitan of North America and Metropolitan Paul is the Antiochian Metropolitan of Australia. They are not realted despite their share a family name.

Michał

High Elder
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
AFAIR Metropolitan Philip is the Antiochian Metropolitan of North America and Metropolitan Paul is the Antiochian Metropolitan of Australia. They are not realted despite their share a family name.
Are you sure? I've heard they were cousins of some sort.

smithakd

Reaction score
Website
www.introductiontoorthodoxy.com
Michał said:
Michał Kalina said:
Are you sure? I've heard they were cousins of some sort.
Michal - I believe that originated on OrthodoxWiki a while back and, after some time on there (and the enquiries of an American priest, IIRC), was corrected. See: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Paul_%28Saliba%29_of_Australia%2C_New_Zealand_and_the_Philippines

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Why is this a sticky?  Sorry, too lazy to read through a dozen pages :p

frjohnmorris

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
sohma_hatori said:
Michał said:
_Seraphim_, thank you for the link. Do you know, or can you, please, get information, what rite are they using on the Philippines? Is it still Roman Catholic Novus Ordo Missae or have they turned to one of the Orthodox Liturgies, Eastern or Western?
To answer that, the Ecumenical Patriarchate here, uses Eastern Rites, while the Antiochian Church, uses Western Rites and even uses the Roman Catholic Calendar (or at least I found out that they do)..
Metropolitan Paul told me in July that his parishes in the Philippines use the Byzantine Rite.

Fr. John W. Morris

sohma_hatori

High Elder
Reaction score
Pictures of the current Churches in the Philippines in case there is interest:  :police:

Sunday of Orthodoxy, at the Annunciation Cathedral (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

Feast of the Annunciation. (St. Mary's Chapel, Antiochian Archdiocese of AU and NZ)

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Somehow I missed this. Very nice pictures. Many years of fruitful mission!

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
ialmisry, you missed an 11 page thread?!
???
where have you been?

surely not busy in the real world?
:eek:

quick, stop all your useful activity and get back on the internet!
;)

(seriously, though, nice pictures, as biro said)
:)

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Large Number of Filipinos Join Orthodox Church : Mass Baptism Held
https://www.facebook.com/orthodox.christian.news/posts/1739044932988774

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
mike said:
Large Number of Filipinos Join Orthodox Church : Mass Baptism Held
https://www.facebook.com/orthodox.christian.news/posts/1739044932988774
Glory to God.

I'm guessing no one considered bringing the Western rite into this.