• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Converts wearing headcoverings= legalists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Roots

Elder
Reaction score
Maria, stop using the phrase "judged" to refer to yourself and women who wear headcoverings unless you are prepared to apply the same standard to those who judge non-wearers.

Every time you use the word in that way, you parody yourself.  Do not judge -- the wearer (you) or the nonwearer (someone else).  What don't you get about this?

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Maria said:
I was applying the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee to a convert or cathechumen who wears a headcovering and receives preferential treatment for doing so.
This statement of yours is way off topic, and you know it. I will not respond to the rest of your off topic feminist rant.
What off topic feminist rant?   ???

Maria said:
Back on Topic:

In my experience, converts wearing headcoverings would be rashly judged to be proud and legalistic. This goes against Christ's command not to judge.

If a convert were to wear a headcovering in many of the jurisdictions of World Orthodoxy (especially outside the ROCOR), they would most likely suffer taunts, gossip, and ridicule from other women who hold a feminist agenda. These converts WOULD NOT receive any preferential treatment, but would be shunned by the feminists.
That's your experience; you don't speak for all female converts to Orthodoxy.
Are you a convert who wears a headcovering? If not, please be honest and excuse yourself from this thread.
No to both questions.  I'm here to dispel hypocrisy and to differentiate between freely wearing a headcovering and being forced to wear a headcovering.

Maria said:
I am a convert and I do wear a headcovering out of obedience.
You freely wear a headcovering.

Maria said:
When I first converted, my priest granted me grace and told me to wear the headcovering only at Communion time.
In the OCA, at that time?  He didn't force you to wear a headcovering; you chose to wear one.

Maria said:
Now I wear it during the entire Divine Liturgy with his blessing and that of my husband.
You're no longer in the OCA; your Old Calendarist priest allows you to wear your headcovering.

Maria said:
During summer, I would rather not wear it as it is too hot (120 degrees sometimes), but I wear it in obedience disregarding my own discomfort to set a good example, per my priest.
I have no opinion towards headcoverings; that is for each woman to decide freely; however, there should not be adverse consequences for failing to wear one nor should a woman receive preferential treatment for wearing a headcovering whether at a monastery or any Orthodox church.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
SolEX01 said:
Maria said:
Converts who wear headcoverings are learning obedience
Obedience to what?

Maria said:
and trying to undo Eve's disobedience.
That's already been undone.

Maria said:
Since they are imitating the New Eve, the Most Holy Theotokos, who wore the veil even though she was without sin, how can these converts be judged to be legalistic?
So a convert has to become the Most Holy Theotokos - like the boast of the Pharisee.

Maria said:
Frankly, I think that this is only a slur (a slur that I hear a lot from feminists) to discourage women from wearing headcoverings. These feminists would destroy our church. They are the unscrupulous ones.
In your jurisdiction, feminism doesn't exist?
Off topic. I will not respond.

Converts who wear headcoverings are imitating the Most Holy Theotokos,
and She happens to be my patron saint.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
SolEX01 said:
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Maria said:
I was applying the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee to a convert or cathechumen who wears a headcovering and receives preferential treatment for doing so.
This statement of yours is way off topic, and you know it. I will not respond to the rest of your off topic feminist rant.
What off topic feminist rant?   ???

Maria said:
Back on Topic:

In my experience, converts wearing headcoverings would be rashly judged to be proud and legalistic. This goes against Christ's command not to judge.

If a convert were to wear a headcovering in many of the jurisdictions of World Orthodoxy (especially outside the ROCOR), they would most likely suffer taunts, gossip, and ridicule from other women who hold a feminist agenda. These converts WOULD NOT receive any preferential treatment, but would be shunned by the feminists.
That's your experience; you don't speak for all female converts to Orthodoxy.
Are you a convert who wears a headcovering? If not, please be honest and excuse yourself from this thread.
No to both questions.  I'm here to dispel hypocrisy and to differentiate between freely wearing a headcovering and being forced to wear a headcovering.

Maria said:
I am a convert and I do wear a headcovering out of obedience.
You freely wear a headcovering.

Maria said:
When I first converted, my priest granted me grace and told me to wear the headcovering only at Communion time.
In the OCA, at that time?  He didn't force you to wear a headcovering; you chose to wear one.

Maria said:
Now I wear it during the entire Divine Liturgy with his blessing and that of my husband.
You're no longer in the OCA; your Old Calendarist priest allows you to wear your headcovering.

Maria said:
During summer, I would rather not wear it as it is too hot (120 degrees sometimes), but I wear it in obedience disregarding my own discomfort to set a good example, per my priest.
I have no opinion towards headcoverings; that is for each woman to decide freely; however, there should not be adverse consequences for failing to wear one whether at a monastery or any Orthodox church.
Off topic. I refuse to respond to any of this feministic ranting.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Deep Roots said:
Maria, stop using the phrase "judged" to refer to yourself and women who wear headcoverings unless you are prepared to apply the same standard to those who judge non-wearers.

Every time you use the word in that way, you parody yourself.  Do not judge -- the wearer (you) or the nonwearer (someone else).  What don't you get about this?
non sequitur and very off topic

Deep Roots

Elder
Reaction score
Maria said:
Deep Roots said:

non sequitur and very off topic
It's off topic?  It's entirely on topic.  You're blinded by your own self-righteousness and false humility.  And a real piece of work.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Maria said:
Converts who wear headcoverings are imitating the Most Holy Theotokos,
and She happens to be my patron saint.
That's not traditional. Theotokos is not to be one's patron-Saint.

Liberals everywhere.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing that tempers have flared up again and that the polemics are flying around again, I have locked this thread until Thomas has had a chance to review this and decide what to do with it. If you wish to take parts of this discussion to one of the other active head covering threads, I won't consider that an attempt to circumvent the lock on this thread, since this lock is necessitated only by this thread's location on Convert Issues.

Thomas

Archon
Reaction score
I have reviewed the latest statements and now close and lock this topic in agreement with Peter the Aleut. It has failed to stay on topic and the debate has become more than permitted in the Convert Issues Forum.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.