• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Coptic Jerusalem Metropolitan peacefully protests for right to repair Monastery

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
More here:

http://lacopts.org/news/statement-from-metropolitan-antonios-on-recent-incidents-at-the-coptic-monastery-of-deir-el-sultan-in-jerusalem/

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Something has to be done about this issue which threatens the ecumenical tranquility and is an embarassment to the OO community.

It also has the effect I would think of frightening other monasteries in Jerusalem from extending hospitality to monks of other jurisdictions.  For example, the Syriac Orthodox Monastery of St. Mark and the Armenian monastery might be frightened to accomodate Ethiopian or Eritrean monks even in the event of an emergency, or Coptic monks, if the situation was misread, or monks from the Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic churches.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may add, there are two sides to this story.  If I'll find the Ethiopian version, I'll share it.

It's an ugly debate that makes me develop unpopular opinions about the Holy Sepulchre altogether.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
There is a Coptic Patriarchate in Jerusalem? Didn't know that. One learns something new every day.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Alpo said:
There is a Coptic Patriarchate in Jerusalem? Didn't know that. One learns something new every day.
Yes and no...he's called "patriarch", but he serves as the function of Metropolitan in the Coptic Synod.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Alpo said:
Yes and no...he's called "patriarch", but he serves as the function of Metropolitan in the Coptic Synod.
So it's like Latin Patriarchs in the RCC?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
In this case, yes.