• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Coptic Pope Theodosius II (1294-1300) was Frankish

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Neat. I love weird little episodes in history like this, like the English ex-crusader who was captured from among the Mongol army, or the black samurai.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait to read the blogger's part 2

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Yeah, the first part is kind of a tease. It gives a bit of his genealogy where the burning question is how the heck did he end up in the Coptic church.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
minasoliman said:
Yeah, the first part is kind of a tease. It gives a bit of his genealogy where the burning question is how the heck did he end up in the Coptic church.
Lot of European descendants in the Levant due to the Crusades. Maybe his family just moved to Egypt?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe...in the following century, the Coptic Church did commemorate two Latin priests who were among the martyred under the brutal Mamluk caliphates.  So there was probably still a bit of cross-culturing during those periods.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
minasoliman said:
Maybe...in the following century, the Coptic Church did commemorate two Latin priests who were among the martyred under the brutal Mamluk caliphates.  So there was probably still a bit of cross-culturing during those periods.
Nice, can you say more? I asked you some time ago about who might be the last Western saint commemorated by the OOC.

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Father Peter said:
I've long been interested in what might have been the response from the Church in Egypt to Francis of Assisi when he arrived in about 1219 and went to Damietta.
The Metropolitan told him to go to hell.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
qawe said:
Father Peter said:
I've long been interested in what might have been the response from the Church in Egypt to Francis of Assisi when he arrived in about 1219 and went to Damietta.
That seems about right.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
qawe said:
Father Peter said:
That's the kind of thing one hides from hippie October 4 homilies lol

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
minasoliman said:
Nice, can you say more? I asked you some time ago about who might be the last Western saint commemorated by the OOC.
Here you go!  It’s from volume 2 of The Coptic Papacy, by Mark Swanson:

https://ibb.co/bAPaSb
https://ibb.co/ctkFSb

There are a couple Latin priests in the list, not mentioned by name though

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Father Peter said:
What is the modern book I am thinking of that describes the positive relation between the Coptic Orthodox and Roman Catholic Church in this period amounting to a vague union?
Theodore Hall Patrick?

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Iconodule said:
minasoliman said:
Lot of European descendants in the Levant due to the Crusades. Maybe his family just moved to Egypt?
There are also stories of Copts paying the ransom for captured Franks and freeing them. It's possible some stayed and integrated into the community.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
+1

Yes! I think Swanson mentioned it in the book!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Father Peter said:
I think its a book called something like Coptic Church and the West 1100-1500 etc
Is this it Father:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0198727534/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1509728786&sr=8-4

(Adding to my list now)

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
The ancient world had a lot more movement and diversity than we're generally led to believe. There were pockets of Europeans in Africa and Asia from ancient times, much as there were pockets of Armenians throughout Europe. There could be various causes, from trade to war to pure happenstance. The ancient empires were quite cosmopolitan.