• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Corona Virus Vaccine Poll

Will You Be Taking or Have You Already Had The Corona Virus Vaccine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
No thanks. I understand the perceived need and desire for it, but given that it has not been approved by the FDA, has not undergone long-term review and evaluation, and the (arguable?) issue surrounding the use of aborted fetal cells, I'll pass.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
If Mammon demands it, I guess I'll take it. That way I will be able to buy food and travel.

sestir

Bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
I am more worried about distribution. If it were possible for an individual to select a brand of vaccine, pick a random kit from the shelf in a random store in any province, and go home and self-administer it, chances of being targeted with some menace would be smaller. Maybe it works that way in some parts of the world?

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
No vaccines are self-administered to my knowledge. I'm not allowed to get it yet, anyway.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I will. (No, I don't know which one, and I don't expect to have a choice.) My mother and mother-in-law are between doses; my husband has just been called to make his appointments, and I, who am in the next tier, can hope to get my turn in June, or even May, if the area continues to run ahead of schedule. I'm looking forward to seeing family again, without putting anyone at risk.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
No, I'll not take this injection, I think this is a big risk, within hours after and the long term effects and danger won't be known for some time ~ I think I've had it along with everyone in the family ~ we were not tested ~ I and youngest daughter were very sick for about a week others were less ill ```
I would definitely not give it to Children ```

I believe this is just a Flu like the other corona viruses ~ not a wimpy one some ~ some people get quite sick, I did., and if you are weak and very, ill it could kill you like other Crown Viruses ~ but to take this or any other concoction untested seem crazy ~ even the claims are ! 80% effective ~ 80 % of what ~ 2 out of the 10 they tried it on got the virus anyway or what ~ from what I've studied years back and what I've read and heard doctors say ~ we have never successfully made a Corona Virus Vaccine ```

it looks to me as if politicians and news media the world over have scared the sense out of people ~ I and my daughter drove to Mount Davidson to see the Cross we/they ~ the Armenian Community bought from the City of San Francisco ~ the closer we got to SF the more terror we saw in the people ~ people wearing masks in their cars. walking their dogs near the mountain where the Cross is people were wearing masks in their homes ~ if that sound ok to you ~ you are as frightened as they are ~ I don't think they ~ the News Media and Politicians had any right to do that to people ```
May Our Lord Protect You ~ no one else will ```

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I'm on the fence -- no surprise. Whether despite or because of the media coverage, I'm still not 100% sure whether this is like a flu vaccine or more like a tetanus vaccine. I don't bother with the former, but I'll get boosters for the latter. Also because the production timeline feels fast (thought understandably), I'm fine being at the end of the line for eligibility. More time to make up my mind. 🙂 I still think boosting immune systems is equally as important as everything else that's being encouraged/required.

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Military-don't have the luxury to care
Yes. I'm in the military. Taking it is optional now, but it's just a matter of time before they make it mandatory.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I am more worried about distribution. If it were possible for an individual to select a brand of vaccine, pick a random kit from the shelf in a random store in any province, and go home and self-administer it, chances of being targeted with some menace would be smaller. Maybe it works that way in some parts of the world?
I've never heard of being able to self-administer, especially at home, any vaccine. But...what do I know?

From what I can determine, here in the US, if you want the vaccine, you make an appointment and get whatever's given. You don't get to choose which vaccine. In the case of anyone who objects to them or chooses not to receive one, based on the fact that all 3 currently available are tainted with aborted fetal cells in one way or another, the "which" of it becomes irrelevant.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Yes. I'm in the military. Taking it is optional now, but it's just a matter of time before they make it mandatory.
My understanding is that because none of the vaccines have received FDA approval, only EUA's, the military cannot make it mandatory. They could only do so if they had final FDA approval--which could take years. Would you still get it if you knew that you would be out of the military before they made it mandatory?

And.......thanks for you service!!!!!(y)(y)

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I'm on the fence -- no surprise. Whether despite or because of the media coverage, I'm still not 100% sure whether this is like a flu vaccine or more like a tetanus vaccine. I don't bother with the former, but I'll get boosters for the latter. Also because the production timeline feels fast (thought understandably), I'm fine being at the end of the line for eligibility. More time to make up my mind. 🙂 I still think boosting immune systems is equally as important as everything else that's being encouraged/required.
It's really like neither the flu or tetanus vaccines. Here's one explanation: https://www.health.com/condition/in...rus/difference-between-pfizer-moderna-vaccine.

Boosting immune systems (as in usage of appropriate supplements, fresh air, exercise, good nutrition, etc.) is not really in the interest of Big Pharma. They don't make any money from that. Also, this is an area that is not talked about much, especially in the mainstream media outlets here in the U.S. or by many physicians. Sad, but true. Also played down are the rapidly developing therapeutics for Covid-19.

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
I am taking it and hoping to take the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine as it is without fetal cells. I work around a lot of people, have a pregnant wife/young children and older parents

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took the Pfizer RNA. I recommend this easy to follow video about the RNA part of the vaccine:

And this post for the other parts:

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
It's really like neither the flu or tetanus vaccines. Here's one explanation: https://www.health.com/condition/in...rus/difference-between-pfizer-moderna-vaccine.

Boosting immune systems (as in usage of appropriate supplements, fresh air, exercise, good nutrition, etc.) is not really in the interest of Big Pharma. They don't make any money from that. Also, this is an area that is not talked about much, especially in the mainstream media outlets here in the U.S. or by many physicians. Sad, but true. Also played down are the rapidly developing therapeutics for Covid-19.
I am taking it and hoping to take the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine as it is without fetal cells. I work around a lot of people, have a pregnant wife/young children and older parents
I agree with you on the last part. I more than do my part to take care of my body. I eat a largely plant based diet but I go a step further. I grow a large percentage of my own fruits and veggies and I do it without spraying them. I would sale at the local farmers market but the baby is going to be born in late April or so. I mainly focus on blueberries and blackberries as my main crops but I do grow a wide variety of veggies and fruits. Figs are a huge hit at my house mid summer.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
No, at least for now. In Poland we have aster-zeneca and pfizer. Many people suffer from side-effects and some of them quite huge and who knows how it may develope...
As for me now more dangerous than corona are all teh effects of the lockdowns: difficulties to get to doctor with normal illnesses (even checkign eyes, dentist etc.), domestic violence (including my famiyl and of my friends) and lack of posobilty to get relaxed from it (restaurants, pubs, closed), can't meet with my boyfriend for one year now and can't get my Lebanese diploma so can't go for phd.. Plus bigger and biger inflation that saving money doesn't make any sense, meanwile prices of flats and even small gardens in the city are much higher.. At least we have relatively normal Chruhc life and access to the Holy Mysteries.
For me also those masks are a probelm since I can't wear any.
I don't belive any vaccine, at least for now, will solve anything, as at least in Poland there are some political games between some fractions and they are already sayign that vaccine is not protection against coronavirus, but just will make it milder.

Rhinosaur

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction
OCA
I took my first dose today.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I agree with you on the last part. I more than do my part to take care of my body. I eat a largely plant based diet but I go a step further. I grow a large percentage of my own fruits and veggies and I do it without spraying them. I would sale at the local farmers market but the baby is going to be born in late April or so. I mainly focus on blueberries and blackberries as my main crops but I do grow a wide variety of veggies and fruits. Figs are a huge hit at my house mid summer.
Excellent!
High dose Vit. D-3 (1000-5000 i.u. daily, ideally taken with some kind of fat), high dose Vit. C (4000-10000 mg. daily or up to bowel tolerance, preferably in a sustained release form or taken throughout the day), and Zinc (preferably something like Zinc monomethionine, at 20-40 mg. per day) have been recommended by many doctors and others as a way to help prevent getting Covid in the first place.

And congrats on the baby!! How wonderful for you!

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Excellent!
High dose Vit. D-3 (1000-5000 i.u. daily, ideally taken with some kind of fat), high dose Vit. C (4000-10000 mg. daily or up to bowel tolerance, preferably in a sustained release form or taken throughout the day), and Zinc (preferably something like Zinc monomethionine, at 20-40 mg. per day) have been recommended by many doctors and others as a way to help prevent getting Covid in the first place.

And congrats on the baby!! How wonderful for you!
I don't take supplements but just eat the food. I also spend a lot of time outside and I do believe the sun is healthy in moderation

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
In answer to one post: I have taken tetanus shots when ever an open wound injury especially in some dirty conditions ~ that is a long proven effective compound ~ got a story about that, for another time ```

This Lock down or what ever you want to call it has me separated, in solitary confinement ~ I can't stand it, I don't want to strand it ~ I want/need to be around people ~ I had no idea how much until this breach of our rights to assemble ~ even bokatzis ~ you know people who rub you the wrong way ~ because: "that which is irritating is stimulating" and the petticoat politicians monitoring our lives outside the permission of the Constitution is no different than if they were an invading hoard, keeping the conquered subjects in check ```

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Military-don't have the luxury to care
My understanding is that because none of the vaccines have received FDA approval, only EUA's, the military cannot make it mandatory. They could only do so if they had final FDA approval--which could take years. Would you still get it if you knew that you would be out of the military before they made it mandatory?

And.......thanks for you service!!!!!(y)(y)
Well, I plan on staying in (11 years left!), but if I was getting out... I'm not sure. Maybe.

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Faith
Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites
I have had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last week and will receive the second in three weeks.

The Massachusetts' distribution system has several variations; some sites are locality specific, others available to any state resident. If one is really committed to choosing one manufacturer's vaccine, it is easy enough to select a site by which vaccine is administered there (snagging an available appointment, regardless of which you want, is the bigger problem). I had no particular preference.

The reality is that there have been some side-effects reported and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there may have been some anaphylactic episodes. However, in this state alone, where compliance with social distancing and masking was relatively excellent, 16,000 people have died - so far. In my mind, that number is sufficiently compelling that I consider anyone declining vaccination to be foolhardy. It is going to take some time before herd immunity can be reliably said to exist and I've no intention of being unable to hold my grandchildren, to hug family members, or find myself restricted - officially or personally (from a sense of wanting to do no harm to others) from close interaction with my fellow humans.

I'm going to reiterate what I said on another thread here, relative to conflicting messages by church leaders on the matter.

What seems to be lost on the part of anti-vaxxers (even among those who consider themselves religious) is any consideration of the possibility that God has allowed humankind to develop vaccines for the physical ills that plague humanity as one consequence of the fall from grace experienced by Adam and Eve. He could, as easily have disfavored such and allowed disease to take its unfettered toll on the world's peoples.

Most, if not all of you, were vaccinated against polio without a second thought, probably in your childhood, when the option to decline vaccination was not yours to exercise. Presumably, those with children have since allowed them to be vaccinated as well - probably without ever considering the consequences of not doing so. Well, the consequences you avoided in doing so were potentially pretty devastating, even though you may be ignorant of them. Before Salk and Sabin developed vaccines against poliomyelitis, the debilitating, and sometimes fatal, disease struck down adults - but, even more commonly, children - in the prime of life. Most of you have never seen a child in an iron lung, its bellows providing a means to breathe that otherwise would not be possioble. The vast majority of anti-vaxxers are woefully ignorant of post-polio sequelae, its after-effects, the flail and twisted limbs, the leg length discrepancies, the paralysis, the weakened immune systems. It wasn't pretty! How much more so should they be desirous of avoiding the consequences of a virus that counts death as an even more likely result.

Each time God permitted development of a vaccination, be it against smallpox, rubella, mumps, polio, He has conferred a blessing on us that we are well-advised to celebrate and of which we should take advantage, rather than presuming to know more than those He gifted with the scientific werewithal to discover and offer us the opportunity to overcome or avoid circumstances that we would certainly not choose to suffer were it optional. It is sometimes given to us to avoid suffering - free will offers you that opportunity. God helps those who help themselves.

Many years,

Neil

Addai Gaspar

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Archdiocese of Buenos Aires
on the way things are here i'll get that vaccine only in 2025 if i'm lucky.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Most, if not all of you, were vaccinated against polio without a second thought, probably in your childhood, when the option to decline vaccination was not yours to exercise. Presumably, those with children have since allowed them to be vaccinated as well - probably without ever considering the consequences of not doing so. Well, the consequences you avoided in doing so were potentially pretty devastating, even though you may be ignorant of them. Before Salk and Sabin developed vaccines against poliomyelitis, the debilitating, and sometimes fatal, disease struck down adults - but, even more commonly, children - in the prime of life. Most of you have never seen a child in an iron lung, its bellows providing a means to breathe that otherwise would not be possioble. The vast majority of anti-vaxxers are woefully ignorant of post-polio sequelae, its after-effects, the flail and twisted limbs, the leg length discrepancies, the paralysis, the weakened immune systems. It wasn't pretty! How much more so should they be desirous of avoiding the consequences of a virus that counts death as an even more likely result.
We have forgotten a lot about the times of polio. Like the fact that about 70% of the cases are completely asymptomatic, which doesn't mean it can't come back to bite you decades later. Only 1% of patients develop any kind of paralysis at all, and of those, only 1% die of it, which gives polio a mortality rate of 0.001%. So why was suppressing it such a big deal? Because those percentages look like peanuts on paper, but on the ground they looked like that. ☝☝☝

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I have had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last week and will receive the second in three weeks.

The Massachusetts' distribution system has several variations; some sites are locality specific, others available to any state resident. If one is really committed to choosing one manufacturer's vaccine, it is easy enough to select a site by which vaccine is administered there (snagging an available appointment, regardless of which you want, is the bigger problem). I had no particular preference.

The reality is that there have been some side-effects reported and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there may have been some anaphylactic episodes. However, in this state alone, where compliance with social distancing and masking was relatively excellent, 16,000 people have died - so far. In my mind, that number is sufficiently compelling that I consider anyone declining vaccination to be foolhardy. It is going to take some time before herd immunity can be reliably said to exist and I've no intention of being unable to hold my grandchildren, to hug family members, or find myself restricted - officially or personally (from a sense of wanting to do no harm to others) from close interaction with my fellow humans.

I'm going to reiterate what I said on another thread here, relative to conflicting messages by church leaders on the matter.

What seems to be lost on the part of anti-vaxxers (even among those who consider themselves religious) is any consideration of the possibility that God has allowed humankind to develop vaccines for the physical ills that plague humanity as one consequence of the fall from grace experienced by Adam and Eve. He could, as easily have disfavored such and allowed disease to take its unfettered toll on the world's peoples.

Each time God permitted development of a vaccination, be it against smallpox, rubella, mumps, polio, He has conferred a blessing on us that we are well-advised to celebrate and of which we should take advantage, rather than presuming to know more than those He gifted with the scientific werewithal to discover and offer us the opportunity to overcome or avoid circumstances that we would certainly not choose to suffer were it optional. It is sometimes given to us to avoid suffering - free will offers you that opportunity. God helps those who help themselves.

Many years,

Neil
Thanks for another self-righteous sermon. When you one day look down from your place on high in Abraham's bosom and see us, the unwashed, unclean "anti-vaxxers" in torment, intercede for us. 🙏

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
anti-vaxxers
Sometimes labels can be used to belittle and divide. If we want anyone to listen to our message let's use words that draw others in. Let's remember love and dignity. Let's remember that we are all made in the image of God. In time alot of our questions about this vaccine may be answered. But please everyone "anti- vaxxers and vaxxers" alike, let us love one another. For when we meet our Maker in The Last Judgement, Our Lord will not ask, " Did you get Moderna or Pfizer?" We will give account of our love or lack thereof. "When did I treat You this way Lord?"
Let's all take a break and fast "hate speech" for Lent. Starting with myself, Lord have mercy and forgive us Lord. Our Lady, Holy Theotokos pray for us.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
The death rate didn't climb that high to justify all this hysteria. I'm going to get the vaccine only because I work around a lot of people and I hate wearing a masks. Mostly because I would probably feel guilty if I were responsible for infecting a vulnerable elder.
It's more a selfless act.
The vaccines are pretty safe and having loved ones be around even though death is knocking at there door anyway is a good reason to feel that you have contributed to society as a whole.
So please get vaccinated. You will have your chance at rebellion a different day. One that is glorious instead of pitiful.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
We have forgotten a lot about the times of polio. Like the fact that about 70% of the cases are completely asymptomatic, which doesn't mean it can't come back to bite you decades later. Only 1% of patients develop any kind of paralysis at all, and of those, only 1% die of it, which gives polio a mortality rate of 0.001%. So why was suppressing it such a big deal? Because those percentages look like peanuts on paper, but on the ground they looked like that. ☝☝☝
1615343003886.jpg

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
The death rate didn't climb that high to justify all this hysteria. I'm going to get the vaccine only because I work around a lot of people and I hate wearing a masks. Mostly because I would probably feel guilty if I were responsible for infecting a vulnerable elder.
It's more a selfless act.
The vaccines are pretty safe and having loved ones be around even though death is knocking at there door anyway is a good reason to feel that you have contributed to society as a whole.
So please get vaccinated. You will have your chance at rebellion a different day. One that is glorious instead of pitiful.
I understand that the current thinking is that the Corona virus vaccines are safe. However, true safety (and efficacy) of a vaccine can only be determined after years, usually 4-10, of study and review. That's why in the U.S. it normally takes that long for a vaccine to get approved for usage and put on the market. I think many people equate an Emergency Use Authorization (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?hl=false&edition=prelim&req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title21-section360bbb-3&f=treesort&fq=true&num=0&saved=|KCh0aXRsZTooMjEpIEFORCBzZWN0aW9uOigzNjBiYmIpKSk=|dHJlZXNvcnQ=|dHJ1ZQ==|0|true|prelim), which is how the vaccines are now able to be used, with FDA approval and licensing . They are most definitely not the same thing. The truth of the matter is that we really do not yet know how safe or unsafe these vaccines are.

Personally, I'd rather wear a mask (and there is much debate about how effective, if at all, they are in stopping the spread of Covid) than take the vaccine and be part of a mass medical experiment.

Vaccine Safety
In the United States, a number of safeguards are required by law to help ensure that the vaccines we receive are safe. Because vaccines are given to millions of healthy people—including children—to prevent serious diseases, they’re held to very high safety standards.
In this section, you’ll learn more about vaccine safety—and get answers to common questions about vaccine side effects.
How are vaccines tested for safety?
Every authorized or approved vaccine goes through safety testing, including:
  • Testing and evaluation of the vaccine before it’s licensed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and recommended for use by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
  • Monitoring the vaccine’s safety after it is recommended for infants, children, or adults
Vaccines are tested before they’re recommended for use
Before a vaccine is ever recommended for use, it’s tested in labs. This process can take several years. FDA uses the information from these tests to decide whether to test the vaccine with people.
During a clinical trial, a vaccine is tested on people who volunteer to get vaccinated. Clinical trials usually start with 20 to 100 volunteers, but eventually include thousands of volunteers. These tests can take several years and answer important questions like:
  • Is the vaccine safe?
  • What dose (amount) works best?
  • How does the immune system react to it?

Last edited:

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
As if I don't get dark humor. Or propaganda.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
As if I don't get dark humor. Or propaganda.
I bet you do get both. Empathy, on the other hand, doesn't look like your strongest suit.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
I will most certainly take vaccine once it's available. I want things get back to normal which won't happen without vaccinations. It won't happen anytime soon though as I'm not part of any kind of priority groups.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
The self-proclaimed virtuous are drunk with empathy, but only for the corona afflicted. Everyone else be damned.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
The self-proclaimed virtuous are drunk with empathy, but only for the corona afflicted. Everyone else be damned.
While there does seem to be a certain amount of holier-than-thou-ness among some who are opting for the vaccine, the same can be said about some who aren't. I think you might be painting with too broad a brush here. Or am I somehow mis-understanding your comment?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
While there does seem to be a certain amount of holier-than-thou-ness among some who are opting for the vaccine, the same can be said about some who aren't. I think you might be painting with too broad a brush here. Or am I somehow mis-understanding your comment?
Those that have a "wait and see" approach are painted with a broad brush.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Wow. We sound like a bunch of kids on the playground. He threw it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.