• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Corona Virus Vaccine Poll

Will You Be Taking or Have You Already Had The Corona Virus Vaccine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Because the test is $175 and I don't want to know bad enough. The free health department site switched to vaccine-only once the state got enough to make that feasible. Even if the test came back positive, I'd still probably get the shot...eventually. :)
Yeah...that's absurd!!

Have you looked at any of the home test kits? I don't know how accurate they are or what the "eligibility requirements" are, but I'm sure you could find out if you're interested. I found this one after a VERY quick search:

I've heard that if you've had Covid the antibodies may last in your system for years, if not the rest of your life.
Covid-19 patients who recovered from the disease still have robust immunity from the coronavirus eight months after infection, according to a new study. The result is an encouraging sign that the authors interpret to mean immunity to the virus probably lasts for many years, and it should alleviate fears that the covid-19 vaccine would require repeated booster shots to protect against the disease and finally get the pandemic under control.

“There was a lot of concern originally that this virus might not induce much memory,” says Shane Crotty, a researcher at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology in California and a coauthor of the new paper. “Instead, the immune memory looks quite good.”
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/06/1015822/covid-19-immunity-likely-lasts-for-years/
The study referred to is linked in the article.

With the vaccines, however, some are saying that "immunity" lasts only about 6-9 months, necessitating possible annual "booster" shots, like with influenza.

Or...you could just ignore all of that and live your life, accepting whatever comes along from whatever risks you choose to take.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
So the choices are between 'one study on a small population sample says' and 'some are saying'? I legit lol'd there.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
So the choices are between 'one study on a small population sample says' and 'some are saying'? I legit lol'd there.
I never said nor meant to imply that those were the ONLY "choices". Those were choices that came to my mind at the time I wrote the piece. Please excuse me for not presenting more or explicitly stating that there are probably multiple other choices as well. I'm sure that Ainnir (and everyone else on this board) is quite intelligent and resourceful enough to know that without it having to be said in so many words, and to identify other choices if he is inclined to do so.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Over 70 years and billions of doses administered have shown no indication that the immunity achieved through vaccination is in any way different from the immunity achieved through exposure to a pathogen. If catching (and surviving) Covid gives you immunity for years, so will the vaccine. Your entire post is a moot point, serving only to muddle the waters.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I never said nor meant to imply that those were the ONLY "choices". Those were choices that came to my mind at the time I wrote the piece. Please excuse me for not presenting more or explicitly stating that there are probably multiple other choices as well. I'm sure that Ainnir (and everyone else on this board) is quite intelligent and resourceful enough to know that without it having to be said in so many words, and to identify other choices if he is inclined to do so.
You're only intelligent if you agree with everything the corporations and billionaire eco-capitalists tell you, silly! Havent you heard? Skepticism simply isn't scientific anymore!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I’ll definitely live my life. 😁

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
The difficulty with a "novel" virus (corona class or other wise) is precisely its newness, its "novelty".

It has not been around long enough to have established data on how long antibodies--whether natural through recovery or through injections--endure.

That is why the messages keep changing: "Three months" (because the first-vaccinated had only had the serum in their system for three months) became "at least six months (because more time had elapsed).

Many, many uncertainties.

All the more reason to trust in Christ Who is the same "yesterday, today, and forever"!

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Over 70 years and billions of doses administered have shown no indication that the immunity achieved through vaccination is in any way different from the immunity achieved through exposure to a pathogen. If catching (and surviving) Covid gives you immunity for years, so will the vaccine. Your entire post is a moot point, serving only to muddle the waters.
Previous vaccines have used essentially the same technology the whole time. That is, the vaccines consist of a dead or severely weakened virus, which the immune system dismantles and creates antibodies to many parts of the virus or bacterium. People who have received traditional vaccines have essentially had a "close enough for horseshoes" exposure to the virus or bacterium.

What a lot of people are missing with the COVID vaccines is that it relies on a completely novel delivery mechanism. The new vaccine consists of mRNA for only one protein on the virus, which is presented by muscle cells to the immune system. This raises a lot of questions:

1. Assuming the muscle cells present the protein correctly and the immune system reacts as hoped, will the resulting single-antibody response be adequate to prevent infection from future strains?
2. In earlier animal trials of candidate vaccines for SARS-CoV viruses (of which COVID is part of this family), a high percentage of the vaccinated test animals died when exposed to the virus. I hope the researchers were able to find a solution to this problem prior to human trials, but given the timing of the mass injection programs (late winter), we will have to wait until this time next year for a clear answer.
3. If a viral protein is presented by a cell not in the immune system, there is always the risk that the immune system may react to additional proteins presented by the body (in this case, muscle). This is how autoimmune diseases such as lupus and multiple sclerosis are thought to begin. We probably won't know for for a few years.

We are in new territory with these mRNA injections, and there are still open questions. After watching more information come out about the natural infection, and ball-parking my own risk, I am more comfortable waiting for answers to the concerns above. But as always, you do you.

Someone said something about antibody testing. Red Cross does them and doesn't charge money, just a unit of blood. ;)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
What a lot of people are missing with the COVID vaccines is that it relies on a completely novel delivery mechanism. The new vaccine consists of mRNA for only one protein on the virus, which is presented by muscle cells to the immune system. This raises a lot of questions:
Pfizer and Moderna use mRNA technology; AstraZeneca and J&J use adenovirus vector technology, neither of which is new.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Pfizer and Moderna use mRNA technology; AstraZeneca and J&J use adenovirus vector technology, neither of which is new.
Are there vaccines currently in use for humans, apart from the Covid vaccines, that use mRNA technology and have FDA and/or EMA approval, not Emergency Use Authorization? If so, what are they and can you point us to studies on them--the trials themselves, safety and efficacy, etc? Thanks!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Are there vaccines currently in use for humans, apart from the Covid vaccines, that use mRNA technology and have FDA and/or EMA approval, not Emergency Use Authorization? If so, what are they and can you point us to studies on them--the trials themselves, safety and efficacy, etc? Thanks!
Google is your friend.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Google is your friend.
Is that an "I don't know"? I did search and came up empty. With your knowledge and connections I thought you might know. Oh well...

Google is a fascist oligarch and no friend of mine. I do not use Google.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I do, so you wouldn't like any results I brought up for you either.

My knowledge and connections are all about searching using the most effective keywords. You know, getting the right answers involves asking the right questions.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I do, so you wouldn't like any results I brought up for you either.
My issue with Google has little to do with the results they bring up, per se. In many ways Google is a superior search engine, just one I choose to avoid. I'd be happy to see any results you got if they addressed my questions. "No results" or "I don't know" (or variations thereof) are, when true, perfectly acceptable answers.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
There have been mRNA vaccines developed for the flu, Zika, rabies (in human trials as early as 2017) and CMV. None commanded particular urgency, and Covid took priority over all. RNA drug technology has been around and licenced for longer.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
There have been mRNA vaccines developed for the flu, Zika, rabies (in human trials as early as 2017) and CMV. None commanded particular urgency, and Covid took priority over all. RNA drug technology has been around and licenced for longer.
So...is that a "no" to the question I asked, "Are there vaccines currently in use for humans, apart from the Covid vaccines, that use mRNA technology and have FDA and/or EMA approval, not Emergency Use Authorization?"?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I don't know if they are in use. Niche areas like tropical medicine are above my pay grade.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I don't know if they are in use. Niche areas like tropical medicine are above my pay grade.
Okay, thanks.

I would have thought if there was a flu or even a CMV vaccine using mRNA technology we would probably know about it by now, what with all the publicity about mRNA technology and Covid.

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
@J Michael - that would be a no. There are no FDA/EMA approved mRNA or adenovirus vaccines (Emergency use authorization is not an approval).

Closest available to these are a few DNA vaccines for veterinary use (West Nile in horses, canine melanoma in dogs, avian influenza in chickens)

Last edited:

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
@J Michael - that would be a no. There are no FDA/EMA approved mRNA or adenovirus vaccines (Emergency use authorization is not an approval).

Closest available to these are a few DNA vaccines for veterinary use (West Nile in horses, canine melanoma in dogs, avian influenza in chickens)
Thank you! That's what I thought, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Maybe I should be using Google. Or maybe not....:)

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
There are no FDA/EMA approved mRNA or adenovirus vaccines
There are at least two adenovirus vaccines for Ebola licenced by both.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
lifesitenews.com and oann.com for starters and then use “exaggerated COVID statistics” in their search bar.
Thanks, I don't do fake news.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
It seems that these days, if the news isn't presented by the outlets one agrees with politically or socially, it's fake news. Guess that makes almost all news fake news.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Now you're getting it!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
It seems that these days, if the news isn't presented by the outlets one agrees with politically or socially, it's fake news. Guess that makes almost all news fake news.
It's as if your credibility suffers when you're caught in lies. Weird.

Averoff

Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Midwest
I got both vaccinations of Pfizer vaccine in March when I was first notified, my wife got both hers in April. No real side effects other than a sore arm.

Why? Because I don't want to catch COVID-19. I personally know someone who died of it and they weren't in a nursing home, husband of a friend of mine. He came down with initial symptoms and passed in 3 days back in March of 2020 when the first wave was going through my area. His wife got quite ill with it and almost died. I know several other folks who got quite ill from Corona virus but survived-some of them have permanent conditions because of it. This virus is no hoax.

As for the vaccines being 'experimental', that's not true. The Pfizer vaccine was originally introduced to address the SARS outbreak about a decade ago. It wasn't needed then, because SARS mutated into a non-threatening variant and the immediate threat disappeared. The Pfizer vaccine was repurposed to address SARS CoV-2 virus when that pandemic started in 2020, but they already had a fair amount of clinical experience with it. Still, it went through Phase 1/2/3 clinical trials without major incident. To date, 5 million people in my state have been vaccinated and about half have received the Pfizer mRNA vaccine, including myself. The other half is mostly the Moderna mRNA vaccine, with a small number of J&J vaccinations.

Last edited:

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I got both vaccinations of Pfizer vaccine in March when I was first notified, my wife got both hers in April. No real side effects other than a sore arm.

Why? Because I don't want to catch COVID-19. I personally know someone who died of it and they weren't in a nursing home, husband of a friend of mine. He came down with initial symptoms and passed in 3 days back in March of 2020 when the first wave was going through my area. His wife got quite ill with it and almost died. I know several other folks who got quite ill from Corona virus but survived-some of them have permanent conditions because of it. This virus is no hoax.

As for the vaccines being 'experimental', that's not true. The Pfizer vaccine was originally introduced to address the SARS outbreak about a decade ago. It wasn't needed then, because SARS mutated into a non-threatening variant and the immediate threat disappeared. The Pfizer vaccine was repurposed to address SARS CoV-2 virus when that pandemic started in 2020, but they already had a fair amount of clinical experience with it. Still, it went through Phase 1/2/3 clinical trials without major incident. To date, 5 million people in my state have been vaccinated and about half have received the Pfizer mRNA vaccine, including myself. The other half is mostly the Moderna mRNA vaccine, with a small number of J&J vaccinations.
Wasn't the vaccine that was developed for SARS a VLP vaccine and not a mRNA vaccine? I may well not have looked deeply enough, but from what I could find, none of the SARS vaccines made it past Phase IIa. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Table 2
Clinical trials of SARS, MERS and COVID-19 vaccines
Platform​
Vaccine​
Group​
Status​
Ref​
SARS Vaccine Clinical Trials
Inactivated virus​
Inactivated SARS-CoV vaccine (ISCV)​
Sinovac​
Phase I, completed​
Lin et al. (2007) [110]
No NCT ID​
DNA vaccine​
VRC-SRSDNA015-00-VP​
NIAID​
Phase I, completed​
Martin et al. (2008) [65]
NCT00099463
MERS Vaccine Clinical Trials
DNA vaccine​
GLS-5300 (INO-4700)​
GeneOne Life Science/Inovio Pharmaceuticals/International Vaccine Institute​
Phase I, completed​
Modjarrad et al. (2019) [69]
NCT02670187
DNA vaccine​
GLS-5300 (INO-4700)​
GeneOne Life Science/Inovio Pharmaceuticals/
International Vaccine Institute​
Phase I/IIa, completed​
Viral vector vaccine​
MVA-MERS-S​
CTC North GmbH & Co. KG​
Phase I, completed​
Koch et al. (2020) [102]
NCT03615911
Viral vector vaccine​
MVA-MERS-S_DF1​
CTC North GmbH & Co. KG​
Phase Ib, not yet recruiting​
Viral vector vaccine​
ChAdOx1 MERS​
University of Oxford​
Phase I, recruiting​
Folegatti et al. (2020) [98]
NCT03399578
Viral vector vaccine​
ChAdOx1 MERS​
King Abdullah International Medical Research Center/University of Oxford​
Phase I, recruiting​
Viral vector vaccine​
BVRS-GamVac-Combi​
Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology/Acellena Contract Drug Research and Development​
Phase I/II, recruiting​
Viral vector vaccine​
BVRS-GamVac​
Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology​
Phase I/II, recruiting​
The above is from here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33341119/

You wrote, " The Pfizer vaccine was repurposed to address SARS CoV-2 virus " Do you have a reference or citation for that?

The reason that people are calling the Covid-19 vaccines "experimental" is that they have not undergone long-term trials, studies, and evaluations for safety, efficacy, and effectiveness. They also remain unapproved.

Here's an article from 2009 addressing SARS vaccines:
Abstract
In this review, the current state of vaccine development against human severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, focusing on recently published data is assessed. We discuss which strategies have been assessed immunologically and which have been evaluated in SARS coronavirus challenge models. We discuss inactivated vaccines, virally and bacterially vectored vaccines, recombinant protein and DNA vaccines, as well as the use of attenuated vaccines. Data regarding the correlates of protection, animal models and the available evidence regarding potential vaccine enhancement of SARS disease are discussed. While there is much evidence that various vaccine strategies against SARS are safe and immunogenic, vaccinated animals still display significant disease upon challenge. Current data suggest that intranasal vaccination may be crucial and that new or combination strategies may be required for good protective efficacy against SARS in humans.
By the way, I hope all continues to go well with you and that you never experience any ill effects of the vaccine!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian

Why? Because I don't want to catch COVID-19. I personally know someone who died of it and they weren't in a nursing home, husband of a friend of mine. He came down with initial symptoms and passed in 3 days back in March of 2020 when the first wave was going through my area. His wife got quite ill with it and almost died.
Lord, have mercy.
Memory eternal.

Frank J

Reaction score
Faith
Russian Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Hello 👋

I'm putting in my 2 cents, I've been exposed to Covid 19 8 times so that I know , I haven't gotten any of a virus whatsoever. I haven't got any of the shots and have no plans on getting them. I stand on my prolife views that the use of dead babies cell from a abor

Frank J

Reaction score
Faith
Russian Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Got cut off , I won't take anything that promote abortion or use dead remains of the unborn just call it my Christian morals.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Got cut off , I won't take anything that promote abortion or use dead remains of the unborn just call it my Christian morals.
Good thing that there's nothing around that does either, then. :)

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
The difficulty with a "novel" virus (corona class or other wise) is precisely its newness, its "novelty".

It has not been around long enough to have established data on how long antibodies--whether natural through recovery or through injections--endure.

That is why the messages keep changing: "Three months" (because the first-vaccinated had only had the serum in their system for three months) became "at least six months (because more time had elapsed).

Many, many uncertainties.

All the more reason to trust in Christ Who is the same "yesterday, today, and forever"!
Updated June 2, 2021
Accurate information about the development and production of COVID-19 vaccines is essential, especially because many proposed candidates use newer molecular technologies for production of a viral vaccine. One concern regarding the ethical assessment of viral vaccine candidates is the potential use of abortion-derived cell lines in the development, production or testing of a vaccine. This analysis utilizes data from the primary scientific literature when available, along with data from clinical trial documents, reputable vaccine tracking websites, and published commercial information.1 It is the hope that by providing accurate data, recipients can make well-informed decisions regarding vaccine choices.

and guidance, please see:

* A Visual Aid to Viral Infection and Vaccine Production for a visual primer on the various strategies for viral vaccine production.

* COVID-19 Vaccines & Fetal Cell Lines for an infographic description of how fetal cell lines are sometimes used to produce vaccines.

Flow Chart for Creation and Testing of Vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.