• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Corona Virus Vaccine Poll

Will You Be Taking or Have You Already Had The Corona Virus Vaccine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
While there does seem to be a certain amount of holier-than-thou-ness among some who are opting for the vaccine, the same can be said about some who aren't. I think you might be painting with too broad a brush here. Or am I somehow mis-understanding your comment?
I'm obviously being rhetorical, but it just seems all other afflictions, illnesses lacking treatment, deaths from other diseases, along with destitution, suicide,, etc now take a backseat. The virus (and one's attitude towards it) matters above anything else. If as hecma says you want to wait before opening your vein to big pharma, well your not much better than a mass murderer and hopefully you'll justly die from the virus as punishment. I've had these sentiments expressed to me directly on this forum.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
I'm obviously being rhetorical, but it just seems all other afflictions, illnesses lacking treatment, deaths from other diseases, along with destitution, suicide,, etc now take a backseat. The virus (and one's attitude towards it) matters above anything else. If as hecma says you want to wait before opening your vein to big pharma, well your not much better than a mass murderer and hopefully you'll justly die from the virus as punishment. I've had these sentiments expressed to me directly on this forum.
I tend to agree with you, but, you've got to admit that The Virus and All About The Virus is pretty ubiquitous and constant and has directly impacted just about everybody in one way or another. Other illnesses and afflictions are often in the backseat anyway and they don't have that in-your-face (or on-your-face) constant presence that The Virus has. Unless, of course, you or a loved one are directly affected by them.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Didn't get back in time to edit the above. I just wanted to add that the world has no shortage of self-righteous jerks and not a few tend to find their way onto internet discussion forums. Even this one. Besides, we all have our moments, don't we?

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Didn't get back in time to edit the above. I just wanted to add that the world has no shortage of self-righteous jerks and not a few tend to find their way onto internet discussion forums. Even this one. Besides, we all have our moments, don't we?
Guilty as charged.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
If we reach 70% "yes" on this poll will that account for our own herd immunity?

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Faith
Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton of the Melkites
Thanks for another self-righteous sermon. When you one day look down from your place on high in Abraham's bosom and see us, the unwashed, unclean "anti-vaxxers" in torment, intercede for us. 🙏
I don't think I conveyed an such attitude; it certainly was not my intent. While I don't post often I've been here for a long time and I'm pretty certain that charge has never been laid against me previously. What I did suggest, or intended to suggest, was that given some opportubity to stave off a deadly disease, it may well be short-sighted to throw away that opportunity. The OP, in posting the poll, asked if respondents would explain why they would or would not accept it. I did.

If 'anti-vaxxer' offends - and I suppose that is possible since it is associated with those who decry all vaccinations - I'd be happy to substitute 'those opposed to the covid-19 vaccine' (except when speaking of conspiracy theorists who are certain that Bill Gates and others are intent on vaccinating all of us to integrate our minds into the iCloud. I'm happy to offend those folk!)

The idea of 'wait and see' is all well and good and, having spent most of my working life in health care and much of it involved in the design and management of investigational studies of various sorts, I appreciate and generally support that concept. I'd much rather be injected with a drug that has undergone the rigors of a full investigational study than one approved on an EUA. But, I am not inclined to sit back and watch mortality rates continue at this rate for the 4 to 10 years that was correctly posited as a likely timeline for a full-blown FDA study to be accomplished.

I think it's disingenuous to suggest that anyone lacks empathy for those afflicted with other horrific diseases. Epidemic and pandemic disease seizes the public attention by its nature. It produces death in numbers that are astronomic, does so in a brief period, and over vast areas - creating fears that, in other diseases, are mitigated because there are existing treatment modalities which can be deployed against them. If - and if is the operative word - these vaccines work, our attention will again soon be directed at the cancers, heart diseases, diabetes, mental health issues, etc, from which we are momentarily distracted - distracted because we are human and fear new, unknown, and not fully understood assaults against life.

Many years,

Neil

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
The self-proclaimed virtuous are drunk with empathy, but only for the corona afflicted. Everyone else be damned.
Are you always that grumpy?

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Epidemic and pandemic disease seizes the public attention by its nature. It produces death in numbers that are astronomic.
The only thing astronomic about the death rate is its exaggeration due to false positives and statistical sloppiness. They openly admit that any death from any cause who also tests positive is numbered a covid death. In case you missed it:

As I've said here countless times, there are thousands of highly qualified and respected doctors and researchers around the world who vehemently disagree with the statistics and the government protocols. Their voices have of course been censored and removed from media and social media platforms as punishment for their "wrong-think".
"Follow the media/government approved science" should be the motto. And we all know government and media have nothing but our best interests in mind, right?
Guess I'm just being foolhardy.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Also, while I'm not a conspiracy theorist regarding Bill Gates, I definitely don't trust anyone with that much power who also openly admits to getting many of his ideas through demonic "transcendental meditation".

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
If we waited 4-10 years for the full vetting, the vaccine would be moot in regards to the pandemic. The virus would go through the population by then. And 1% is a small percentage, but for the U.S., that’s 3-4 million people in real numbers. I’m sure none of us want anyone we know and love to be one of them.

My issue with how everything has gone down is specifically how it’s been handled and the typical polarization that resulted. But that is a cultural issue, not a health issue.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
The only thing astronomic about the death rate is its exaggeration due to false positives and statistical sloppiness. They openly admit that any death from any cause who also tests positive is numbered a covid death. In case you missed it:

As I've said here countless times, there are thousands of highly qualified and respected doctors and researchers around the world who vehemently disagree with the statistics and the government protocols. Their voices have of course been censored and removed from media and social media platforms as punishment for their "wrong-think".
"Follow the media/government approved science" should be the motto. And we all know government and media have nothing but our best interests in mind, right?
Guess I'm just being foolhardy.
I think not.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
If we waited 4-10 years for the full vetting, the vaccine would be moot in regards to the pandemic. The virus would go through the population by then. And 1% is a small percentage, but for the U.S., that’s 3-4 million people in real numbers. I’m sure none of us want anyone we know and love to be one of them.

My issue with how everything has gone down is specifically how it’s been handled and the typical polarization that resulted. But that is a cultural issue, not a health issue.
That's why Trump got Operation Warpspeed going. (How many babies are killed in the womb every year, just in the US? Preventable deaths.)

What is the 1% you refer to?

Culture most definitely affects health, don't you think?

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
What confuses me is the statement that the vaccines do not have FDA approval. I thought they did, unless there is a difference between "emergency approval" and "approval"?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
What confuses me is the statement that the vaccines do not have FDA approval. I thought they did, unless there is a difference between "emergency approval" and "approval"?
I believe they are NOT FDA approved. There has not been enough "time" to research any/all adverse side effects for them to grant their approval, as yet.
EUA approval means that the vaccine is available outside of a research study but is not yet approved.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
For me, I will be getting the vaccine when I can. One of my reasons can be considered selfish: "self-preservation." I do not want to catch the disease and kick the bucket at this time. Besides that, I do not want to spread it to my folks who are quite elderly. Neither do I want to give it to the Mrs. fellow parishioners at Church, relatives, neighbors or friends. A cousin caught it last spring. He had to be on oxygen for a few days because of it. His wife helped him and caught it also. Fortunately, she did not have to go as far as oxygen. They both survived it, but it is something that neither want to go through again.

I do not look forward to the possible side effects of the vaccine, and the vaccine is not 100%, but the odds increase of not getting the disease if I get the shot(s).

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
There's a huge difference between EUA and "approval". And as Liza said above, none of the vaccines has FDA approval or licensing. They are being administered under the authority of an EUA.

From post #29 above: " I think many people equate an Emergency Use Authorization (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?hl=false&edition=prelim&req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title21-section360bbb-3&f=treesort&fq=true&num=0&saved=|KCh0aXRsZTooMjEpIEFORCBzZWN0aW9uOigzNjBiYmIpKSk=|dHJlZXNvcnQ=|dHJ1ZQ==|0|true|prelim), which is how the vaccines are now able to be used, with FDA approval and licensing . They are most definitely not the same thing. The truth of the matter is that we really do not yet know how safe or unsafe these vaccines are. "

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
That's why Trump got Operation Warpspeed going. (How many babies are killed in the womb every year, just in the US? Preventable deaths.)

What is the 1% you refer to?

Culture most definitely affects health, don't you think?
That's the last COVID mortality percentage I'd seen; I could be misremembering something, though. 🤷‍♀️ I have not researched as much as some, and I'm ok with that.
Culture does affect health, but you can't throw vaccines and prescriptions at cultural ills. It's "polarized hysteria" syndrome.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
That's the last COVID mortality percentage I'd seen; I could be misremembering something, though. 🤷‍♀️ I have not researched as much as some, and I'm ok with that.
Culture does affect health, but you can't throw vaccines and prescriptions at cultural ills. It's "polarized hysteria" syndrome.
First of all, you're right--you can't throw vaccines and rx's at cultural ills. But some of those cultural ills lead to real physical illness which can arguably be treated with or prevented by rx's and vaccines. So, it can be kind of a chicken/egg thing. But of course, not always.

Secondly, many, many people are casting serious doubt on the true numbers both of Covid "confirmed" cases and deaths directly caused by Covid. Now, what the true extent of any over- or under-counting is, I couldn't say. Given the track record of the truthfulness of the U.S. government (including the FDA and CDC) about Covid and many other things; given that the WHO seems to be in the pockets of Big Pharma and the CCP, I have a very difficult time trusting any numbers given out by them.

Here's a site I found with a ton of interesting statistics https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid . I cannot vouch for the veracity of any of it nor am I able, at a quick glance, to determine if the owners of the site have any kind of "agenda". When looking at just about anybody's numbers related to Covid-19, especially here in the extremely highly politicized atmosphere of the U.S., I always add salt liberally.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I voted "no." There's no reason for someone like me to get a vaccine for a virus that's already 99% survivable for someone in my age bracket. The fact that some are saying that you still have to mask and social distance even after getting the vaccine is the stupidest thing ever.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I voted "no." There's no reason for someone like me to get a vaccine for a virus that's already 99% survivable for someone in my age bracket. The fact that some are saying that you still have to mask and social distance even after getting the vaccine is the stupidest thing ever.
Hardly.

It's all fun and games until some bright spark in the health insurance business puts COVID-19 on the 'preexisting conditions' list and starts denying coverage for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and all those wonders that crop up as we grow into other age brackets.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Hardly.

It's all fun and games until some bright spark in the health insurance business puts COVID-19 on the 'preexisting conditions' list and starts denying coverage for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and all those wonders that crop up as we grow into other age brackets.
Yeah...aren't insurance companies great?:eek:

Interesting that the Cleveland Clinic says, " In order for us to reach herd immunity, 50% to 80% of the population will need to be vaccinated." Now there's a huge difference between 50% and 80%, and some folks, like St. Fauci, have been known to move goalposts so fast they tend to disappear. Also, depending on who you listen to or read, herd immunity isn't *just* about vaccination. It also includes that % of the population which has acquired immunity naturally by previously contracting and recovering from the illness in question. If that is true, and given that the actual case numbers of Covid are in question by many, who knows...we may already have reached herd immunity and no one is acknowledging it.

Here's an interesting discussion on herd immunity from an epidemiology text: https://books.google.com/books?id=7YX6AQAAQBAJ&pg=PA26#v=onepage&q&f=false . A relevant quote: "It (herd immunity) happens because disease spreads from one person to another in a community." There's more, and it's fascinating, but I can't copy and paste from that page.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Since we don't know yet how high the percentage has to be to achieve herd immunity, nor how long the vaccine (or exposure, for that matter) will protect for, the numbers are going to change a lot over the next decade or so. Interesting times, y'all.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Since we don't know yet how high the percentage has to be to achieve herd immunity, nor how long the vaccine (or exposure, for that matter) will protect for, the numbers are going to change a lot over the next decade or so. Interesting times, y'all.
Where did the Covid-19 Corona virus originate from? China.

Old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Hmmm......

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I'm going to get it because my wife won't let me out of the house until I do. I really couldn't care less about the whole thing. I don't think there is any huge moral dilemma about vaccines one way or the other.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
I'm going to get it because my wife won't let me out of the house until I do. I really couldn't care less about the whole thing. I don't think there is any huge moral dilemma about vaccines one way or the other.
Who's coming to your house to give you the vaccination, then?

(When did you move from Nebraska to PA?)

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Mad scientist conspiracy theory that China vaccinated their entire population from Covid-19 ( Covid - 17 ) already a few years ago and thats why they "contained it early on" and then threw out the biological warfare to the rest of the world and now offers the cure at a modest price.
Here's the NPR article on the Chinese Vaccine.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Never heard of a vaccine being so many percent ~ seems it should be effective of not ~ excurse ~ are you going to have your children given this mixture any of you ```

Time for a walk then, Hot Tub ~ maybe I'll see you this evening ```

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Literally?
Lol, no, not literally. But I do hear complaints if I go somewhere and reminders to wear a mask. If I get the shot, maybe I won't have to hear about it anymore.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
You'll just hear about something else. You're married, Tris, you know this.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Some European countries, among them Denmark, have stopped vaccinatiosn with Astra-Zeneca as too much side-effects. Polish goverment still makes vaccinations with it, and more and more people with side-effects or even after 2nd doze with corona-virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.