• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Coronavirus Anixety!

Joined
Nov 28, 2014
Messages
412
Reaction score
77
Points
28
Age
37
Location
New England, USA
Faith
Orthodox
It's getting scary now. My local news is even reporting on this becoming a possible worldwide pandemic and telling us how to take precautions. Should we be worried? I know all things are in God's hands but could this possibly signal the beginning of the end? I discussed this with my spiritual father and he told me I shouldn't worry and pray. I have been praying and taking his advice but I cannot stop worrying! :(
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
36
Points
48
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
We made it through the Flu outbreak of 1918 that killed 50 million; we'll make it through coronavirus.

I was more concerned about Ebola and the US quickly nipped that in the bud.

Don't worry.  :)
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,549
Reaction score
1,606
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy on your servant.


Unfortunately, it seems to have become a habit of media to turn every illness and disaster into something of epic proportions, whether it deserves the characterization or not.  And it used to really stress me out, too.  It doesn't anymore; maybe I just got tired.  :laugh:  May God grant you peace of mind and good health, however bad this new outbreak gets.
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,392
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Continue doing what your spiritual father told you to do.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,549
Reaction score
1,606
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
A tangent was split from this thread and sent here.  Please stay on topic and keep discussion of government economical choices in Politics.
Thanks.  —Ainnir
 

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
5,134
Reaction score
338
Points
83
Location
California & Nevada ranches
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Well, we didn't escape ~ we've had the flu in different stages for over a week ~ tapering off now ~almost gone ~ but ~ lots of guests ~ we ~ some of us were coughing ~ I was wearing a mask ~ not the halloween type ~ the doctor kind ```
 

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
5,134
Reaction score
338
Points
83
Location
California & Nevada ranches
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
RE: the Flu 1915-18 Mamas family had a grape ranch in Yettem, California ~ 10 brother 2 sisters yev Medzhyer ou Medzmyer ~ Grandfather and Grandmother ~ not one got sick ~ that attributed it to floating a couple drops of Gatron (made from Pine Tar) on the drinking water kept in a crock in the kitchen ```

Well, Mama thought that ```
 

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
5,134
Reaction score
338
Points
83
Location
California & Nevada ranches
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
This flu, by the by ~ is thought to be manufactured, cultured ~ and the amount of deaths in China is greatly understated ~ that the amount of Sulfur Dioxide seen by ~ spy in the ski ~ in the area of the outbreak is resultant of hundreds of bodies cremated each day ~ well ~ I heard that on the radio ~ may be some truth in it ~ we'll see how soon this goes away and is forgotten ~ I do understand countries keeping infected entries apart from the locals for a time ```
 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
There is a very clear pattern that persons who hold certain ideological views have adopted this virus and try to help it spread. In 1918, I don't think custom made viruses were used in "eugenics" (actually dysgenics) projects. It would feel better for me if I could be sure that Christians, in countries were we hold an amount of power, take this seriously so that our ideology and traditions may not be annihilated and mankind with it. I am probably losing my battle.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,421
Reaction score
753
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Here
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Wash your hands.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
761
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Being worried is normal. I'm sure we get worried whenever a family member is ill, no matter how common or temporary their ailment is.

Panic, on the other hand, doesn't help. The protective measures recommended are simple enough: avoid crowds, cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing (and bin the tissues immediately), wash your hands often, wear a mask only if you start showing symptoms or are going to the doctor's.

Instead of looking to the China situation (huge country, spotty healthcare in large areas, even worse record of communication), better look at how Singapore's dealing with it - despite being in the frontline of the epidemic and the second most densely populated country in the world, it has only had some 100 cases and no deaths, by just implementing these simple measures.
 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
If you have parked your car where other people have access to it, you may want to wipe the door handles, or use gloves.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
761
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
sestir said:
If you have parked your car where other people have access to it, you may want to wipe the door handles, or use gloves.
Unless someone else has had access to it right before you, like in valet parking, that's not necessary. The virus is only transmitted between humans through bodily fluids, and doesn't live long outside the body. Handling cash is exponentially riskier. (I wouldn't want to be a cashier anywhere during this time.)
 

Luke

Merarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
8,181
Reaction score
571
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
    A picture of the Coronavirus:

   
 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Arachne said:
sestir said:
If you have parked your car where other people have access to it, you may want to wipe the door handles, or use gloves.
Unless someone else has had access to it right before you, like in valet parking, that's not necessary. The virus is only transmitted between humans through bodily fluids, and doesn't live long outside the body. Handling cash is exponentially riskier. (I wouldn't want to be a cashier anywhere during this time.)
Other corona viruses remain active several weeks on hard surfaces at low temperature and low humidity (like winter in Europe and N America).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863430/

Ordinary flu viruses (A & B) deactivate faster on porous material than on non-porous: (Edit: so I don't worry about cash.)
In 1982, widely cited work by Bean et al showed that both influenza A and B, directly applied to stainless steel surfaces or hard plastic, could survive for 24–48 hours, and be transferred, from there to hands, for 24 hours; survival was much shorter on porous materials such as paper and cotton (8–12 hours), with transferability to hands for only 15 minutes [10]. In contrast, Thomas et al, recently demonstrated survival of human seasonal A (H1N1) and A (H3N2) on Swiss banknotes for up to three days, increasing to up to eight days when applied with nasopharyngeal secretions from children (17 days if applied at very high concentration).
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0027932
 

JTLoganville

High Elder
Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
936
Reaction score
335
Points
63
Location
Pennsylvania
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
I am of sufficient vintage to remember the "AIDS epidemic"; as well as SARS, Ebola, and various and sundry swine flues.

With every new pestilence there are two epidemics; the virus itself and the epidemic of fear.

It is the latter which is the more destructive.

Most viruses are easily defeated with a very weak (1:100) Clorox solution.

Fear is not so easily contained.  Fear has already deprived Christians in Hong Kong of the rites associated with the beginning of Western (and soon) Orthodox Lent. 

Fear may lead to government enforced deprivation of Holy Week and Pascha on many continents.

That is what I fear the most.
 

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
5,134
Reaction score
338
Points
83
Location
California & Nevada ranches
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Well, this virus is being watched ~ and intensive care seems to avoid death in countries outside China ~ many economies are so dependent on products from the very area from which this unique virus radiates ~ whole industries are in limbo ~ anyhoe ~ we shall see ~ this alert seems not to compared with the Swine Flu that we were warned of but never actually saw ~ looks like with out intensive care fatalities will surly result ```
 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
JTLoganville said:
Fear is not so easily contained.  Fear has already deprived Christians in Hong Kong of the rites associated with the beginning of Western (and soon) Orthodox Lent. 

Fear may lead to government enforced deprivation of Holy Week and Pascha on many continents.

That is what I fear the most.
I should probably bump this thread and give the diametrically opposite suggestion. If churches cannot, spontanously, take measures against diseases, then governments and lawmakers will probably have to act. If churches skip a few Sundays, how would that damage our cause? Particularly since skipping and surviving are two of the key concepts of Pascha?
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,392
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Particularly since skipping and surviving are two of the key concepts of Pascha?
Wat
 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
hecma925 said:
Particularly since skipping and surviving are two of the key concepts of Pascha?
Wat
Exodus 12:23 "For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he sees the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and won't suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you."

... so the firstborns of Israel survived.

Webster's dictionary: headword skip ...
2. To pass over [...]
 

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,561
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Location
wilderness
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Christian cult Shincheonji Church of Jesus is being blamed for the outbreak of coronavirus in South Korea.
Due to the short proximity between parishioners.
 

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
5,134
Reaction score
338
Points
83
Location
California & Nevada ranches
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Italy has been hit pretty bad 29 dead, terrible Lord help them ~ Lord help us all ```



Italian health officials stressed that despite the rising number of cases, the number that had been hospitalized and fully recovered had risen to 45.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/coronavirus-first-death-recorded-in-us-says-trump-1.4189206

report of virus
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,421
Reaction score
753
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Here
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Memory eternal.
 

CooperDog

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
179
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Illinois
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Midwest
Stop watching the MSM. All they do is talk Trump and have breaking news everytime some one catches the wuhon flu.

Please be careful to steer clear of ANY political references in the public forum, no matter how subtle or veiled or innocent YOU may think them to be. 

Pravoslavbob
Non-Religious Topics Moderator


 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
The virus I have had for six weeks now is like nothing I've experienced before. There can be ten minutes without symptoms, then suddenly it feels like death can happen any second.

Anyone else who is ill now?
 

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,561
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Location
wilderness
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Lord have mercy! six weeks is a long time to be sick.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,549
Reaction score
1,606
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
sestir said:
The virus I have had for six weeks now is like nothing I've experienced before. There can be ten minutes without symptoms, then suddenly it feels like death can happen any second.

Anyone else who is ill now?
Just allergies and weather.
 

sestir

Bokareis
Joined
Sep 7, 2015
Messages
356
Reaction score
30
Points
28
Age
41
Location
Vittsjö, Scania
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Tzimis said:
Lord have mercy! six weeks is a long time to be sick.
Thanks!
Perhaps I should add: Lady have mercy!  .. or .. Lords investigate!
I think I was infected by someone intentionally, because of various clues to who that was. Apparently I shouldn't have written on the Internet that I intended to visit Churches somewhere.
 

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,561
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Location
wilderness
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
sestir said:
Tzimis said:
Lord have mercy! six weeks is a long time to be sick.
Thanks!
Perhaps I should add: Lady have mercy!  .. or .. Lords investigate!
I think I was infected by someone intentionally, because of various clues to who that was. Apparently I shouldn't have written on the Internet that I intended to visit Churches somewhere.
Stay home until you are no longer contagious.

I believe everyone is probably going to get it anyway.

Hopefully they find a vaccine soon.

I might be taking a trip to Alaska's woods until they do. Lol
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,365
Reaction score
853
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
sestir, if you can afford a doctor or have insurance you should see them about the six week long symptoms you are experiencing, and also consider disclosing your paranoia, sometimes they can help with that.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
761
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
sestir said:
Anyone else who is ill now?
I have an intermittent cough leftover from a cold in January, but that's how cough works on me. If it starts, it lingers on for months. Otherwise fine. The country is holding up well so far too - the shops are not sold out of toilet paper and hand sanitiser, at least. ;D
 

CooperDog

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
179
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Illinois
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Midwest
Arachne said:
sestir said:
Anyone else who is ill now?
I have an intermittent cough leftover from a cold in January, but that's how cough works on me. If it starts, it lingers on for months. Otherwise fine. The country is holding up well so far too - the shops are not sold out of toilet paper and hand sanitiser, at least. ;D
Ditto for me, cougg lingers throughout the winter for me.

I feel sorry for those in large cities. Even my local grocery store is sold out of hand sanitizer and those paper masks (i wanted to see what prices were to watch and see if they raised thr prices) apparently hq of this chain store wont send supplies out and tell the stores sorry must wait.

 

CooperDog

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
179
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Illinois
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Midwest
Sethrak said:
Italy has been hit pretty bad 29 dead, terrible Lord help them ~ Lord help us all ```



Italian health officials stressed that despite the rising number of cases, the number that had been hospitalized and fully recovered had risen to 45.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/coronavirus-first-death-recorded-in-us-says-trump-1.4189206

report of virus
3% fatality rate and most of those are eldery and young. Seems to also affect men more than women.

I wish when they report a death, they would tell us the ethnicity of the poor soul, age, if they had health issues, i have a feeling it kills more asians than say a european and those with compromised immune disorders.

 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
761
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
CooperDog said:
Sethrak said:
Italy has been hit pretty bad 29 dead, terrible Lord help them ~ Lord help us all ```



Italian health officials stressed that despite the rising number of cases, the number that had been hospitalized and fully recovered had risen to 45.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/coronavirus-first-death-recorded-in-us-says-trump-1.4189206

report of virus
3% fatality rate and most of those are eldery and young. Seems to also affect men more than women.

I wish when they report a death, they would tell us the ethnicity of the poor soul, age, if they had health issues, i have a feeling it kills more asians than say a european and those with compromised immune disorders.
I don't think it's a good idea to air that level of detail for individuals. Once there are enough fatalities to get some accurate statistics (China and Italy are the only countries with large enough numbers so far, but expect that to change over time), I'm pretty sure there will be percentage analyses aplenty.
 

CooperDog

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
179
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Illinois
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Midwest
Arachne said:
CooperDog said:
Sethrak said:
Italy has been hit pretty bad 29 dead, terrible Lord help them ~ Lord help us all ```



Italian health officials stressed that despite the rising number of cases, the number that had been hospitalized and fully recovered had risen to 45.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/coronavirus-first-death-recorded-in-us-says-trump-1.4189206

report of virus
3% fatality rate and most of those are eldery and young. Seems to also affect men more than women.

I wish when they report a death, they would tell us the ethnicity of the poor soul, age, if they had health issues, i have a feeling it kills more asians than say a european and those with compromised immune disorders.
I don't think it's a good idea to air that level of detail for individuals. Once there are enough fatalities to get some accurate statistics (China and Italy are the only countries with large enough numbers so far, but expect that to change over time), I'm pretty sure there will be percentage analyses aplenty.
China i dont trust, they let this get out, they probably made it, and they lie
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
13,059
Reaction score
761
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
CooperDog said:
Arachne said:
CooperDog said:
Sethrak said:
Italy has been hit pretty bad 29 dead, terrible Lord help them ~ Lord help us all ```



Italian health officials stressed that despite the rising number of cases, the number that had been hospitalized and fully recovered had risen to 45.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/coronavirus-first-death-recorded-in-us-says-trump-1.4189206

report of virus
3% fatality rate and most of those are eldery and young. Seems to also affect men more than women.

I wish when they report a death, they would tell us the ethnicity of the poor soul, age, if they had health issues, i have a feeling it kills more asians than say a european and those with compromised immune disorders.
I don't think it's a good idea to air that level of detail for individuals. Once there are enough fatalities to get some accurate statistics (China and Italy are the only countries with large enough numbers so far, but expect that to change over time), I'm pretty sure there will be percentage analyses aplenty.
China i dont trust, they let this get out, they probably made it, and they lie
Doesn't matter. What matters is nobody is immune.
 

Ikonos

Sr. Member
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
177
Reaction score
14
Points
18
Location
GoodBye
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
My anxiety about Coronavirus has lowered quiet a bit now - we should not be thinking 'How can I make sure I don't catch it?' but instead
'What am I going to do to treat it when I catch it?'

If any one cares to do some research there are several Herbs / Medicines available that have anti-viral properties that are not too difficult to obtain in tablet form or leaves:

- Echinacea
- Basil - fresh
- Mugwort (Artemisia Vulgaris)
- Agarikon / Reishi Mushrooms
- Shiitake Mushroom
- Licorice
- Rhodiola rosea
- Maca / Turmeric / Ginger Root
- Vitamin C

For fever, a good old fashioned anti-inflammatory pain killer can bring relief at the worst time.

I will probably get warned/banned for touting medical advice but do your own research please - don't leave it to the dissarray of the mainstream medical 'authority'.

Is not the Orthodox Eucharist a medicine for Body and Soul?




 

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
5,561
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Location
wilderness
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
If you have to hit the toilet a few times a day.  Don't worry.  Its all in good fun.
Seriously though.  Get out. Just kidding.
 

123abc

Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2017
Messages
87
Reaction score
10
Points
8
Location
Jersey
Faith
Reformed
Jurisdiction
PCA
Its comparable to the flu. Nothing big.

Watching the masses freak out is truly a study in how easily manipulated people are. Media says jump and everybody asks "how high?"
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,421
Reaction score
753
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Here
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Tens of thousands of people die of the flu every year.

But don't let that stop you.  ::)
 
Top