• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Could someone recommend me a prayer book in English

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a prayer book in English that is available in (or at least from) the UK. If someone could recommend one that has a decent selection of prayers including preparation for confession (very important) that would be great. Most of the prayer books I currently have are in Romanian and I can speak the language and understand it so I'm happy using them but the longer prayers take me an age to read. I have one English prayer book at present, the one by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash which seems to be the most widely available one over here, but I really don't like the modern English language - I've spent more than half my life in an area where people still say thee and thou in everyday speech, and I certainly expect it at least in a religious setting. I'd also like it to be small enough to carry around with me if at all possible.

If anyone could point me at a book that meets my criteria and preferably also where I can buy it from I'd be very grateful indeed.

Thanks

James

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
The two most common prayerbooks in English are
1) the one published by HTM (HOly Transfiguration Monastery)
2) the Jordanville Prayer book (also available online)

I don't think you would have problems getting these over in the UK.  That said, I have no opinion of the one by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash.  The two I mentioned above use a more formal, Elizabethan English which may be more to your liking.  Also, they both contain a number of akathists and canons as well as apolytikia for most major feasts and commemorations.  Try one of those, though my preference is for the HTM.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
jmbejdl said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a prayer book in English that is available in (or at least from) the UK. If someone could recommend one that has a decent selection of prayers including preparation for confession (very important) that would be great. Most of the prayer books I currently have are in Romanian and I can speak the language and understand it so I'm happy using them but the longer prayers take me an age to read. I have one English prayer book at present, the one by Archimandrite Ephrem Lash which seems to be the most widely available one over here, but I really don't like the modern English language - I've spent more than half my life in an area where people still say thee and thou in everyday speech, and I certainly expect it at least in a religious setting. I'd also like it to be small enough to carry around with me if at all possible.

If anyone could point me at a book that meets my criteria and preferably also where I can buy it from I'd be very grateful indeed.

Thanks

James
Here's a good one that's in the quasi-Elizabethan English: http://www.stspress.com/products-page/books/orthodox-daily-prayers/