Craziest things Christians have said about atheists/non-believers.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
1) Atheism is a religion

2) Atheists have no morality of their own, and just steal Christian morality

3) They're only atheists because they want to continue their perverted practices

4) Atheists are just people who are angry at God

5) Atheists only attack Christians, because Christianity is the one true religion

6) Atheism logically leads to nihilism, so they should just kill themselves

7) Only people on the internet listen to atheists, never in real life

8 ) Atheists are usually adult men living in the basement of their parents

9) Atheists love evolution because it gives them an excuse to act like an animal

10) Atheists are blind and refuse to see the overwhelming evidence for the existence of God

11) Atheism has caused more death in the world than any other religion

12) Atheism arose due to a warped western Christian theology

[Ahhh, I feel much better]

Other crazy things you've heard?
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Obviously I angling toward the belief . . .

Everything must have a cause.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
A more general take on one of yours:

Atheists must be very unhappy.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Recently:

I feel bad for atheists, because if they are right, they will never know it.

I did LOL at that one, I must admit.
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Asteriktos said:
1) Atheism is a religion
For some it is. However atheists tend to eat their own, and in-fighting and disagreement among the atheist hierarchy tends to thwart any advancement of a public-policy agenda which seeks to undermine religious people or be consistent in their religion.

2) Atheists have no morality of their own, and just steal Christian morality
Actually this is a true statement. They have no moral or objective basis because of their atheism.

3) They're only atheists because they want to continue their perverted practices
For many young atheists, atheism is just a way to validate or justify their behavior. The postmodern world-view (relative morality) gives the illusion of conscious-free behavior.

4) Atheists are just people who are angry at God
C.S. Lewis was one of them.

5) Atheists only attack Christians, because Christianity is the one true religion
The bulk of it is, considering there are 2 billion adherents to the Christian religion. And considering the fact that Christianity is the most practical religion around, the hardest to refute; other religions are just easy game.

6) Atheism logically leads to nihilism, so they should just kill themselves
Atheism, as a world view, offers nothing of any meaning or value. It's logical ends are nihilism, it rejects the notion of an afterlife, a meaningful life, and all morality, among other things. Any atheist who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Normal, well-adjusted people (whom compromise the great majority of people) will undoubtedly be unpersuaded by their position.

7) Only people on the internet listen to atheists, never in real life
The internet is one of the few places that anyone will happen to listen to them. Really, the internet is only place where atheism can portend that it has any clout whatsoever.

11) Atheism has caused more death in the world than any other religion
I'll let Isa prove that, I'm much too lazy at the moment.
 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
8,017
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
74
Location
South Carolina
Asteriktos said:
1) Atheism is a religion

2) Atheists have no morality of their own, and just steal Christian morality

3) They're only atheists because they want to continue their perverted practices

4) Atheists are just people who are angry at God

5) Atheists only attack Christians, because Christianity is the one true religion

6) Atheism logically leads to nihilism, so they should just kill themselves

7) Only people on the internet listen to atheists, never in real life

8 ) Atheists are usually adult men living in the basement of their parents

9) Atheists love evolution because it gives them an excuse to act like an animal

10) Atheists are blind and refuse to see the overwhelming evidence for the existence of God

11) Atheism has caused more death in the world than any other religion

12) Atheism arose due to a warped western Christian theology

[Ahhh, I feel much better]

Other crazy things you've heard?
Why do you say that these sayings are crazy? ??? :angel: :laugh:
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
I dunno, I just like to keep in touch with reality, don't you?  :police: ;)
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
I dunno, I just like to keep in touch with reality, don't you?  :police: ;)
Not to mention fun.

No stampede to your thread. Shocking.

I am holding more back until others posted. I'll be waiting for a while.
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Well, just that atheists can't be good people. I point to my signature below.

And I think that some people, when they say that atheists are never happy, are not using the right words. I think that atheists can find some sort of fulfillment and enjoy their lives here on earth, whether through their families, traveling, humanitarian work, the arts, whatever.

But if we, as Christians, can agree that feeling the love, joy, and peace of Christ can not be attained by any other means, they ultimately will never reach that stage of "happiness" (like I said, not the right word. I would use "joy?" I don't know).
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
IsmiLiora said:
Well, just that atheists can't be good people. I point to my signature below.

And I think that some people, when they say that atheists are never happy, are not using the right words. I think that atheists can find some sort of fulfillment and enjoy their lives here on earth, whether through their families, traveling, humanitarian work, the arts, whatever.

But if we, as Christians, can agree that feeling the love, joy, and peace of Christ can not be attained by any other means, they ultimately will never reach that stage of "happiness" (like I said, not the right word. I would use "joy?" I don't know).
I hate the word happy and nearly every connotation it carries in standard American English. The Brits still use it at times in an appropriate manner.
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
26
Location
Mesa, AZ
Atheists can be good, but they can never really have a standard (that isn't arbitrary) by which to judge their own goodness.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,179
Reaction score
15
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Craziest thing? Occasionally I run into Christians who are perhaps a tad oversensitive and blurt out something like, "Atheists are all Communists / just like Stalin / you name it." Obviously, that sort of thing is ridiculous.
 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Asteriktos said:
1) Atheism is a religion
It's faith based and ideological, just like religion.
Asteriktos said:
2) Atheists have no morality of their own, and just steal Christian morality
Atheists can make up a morality of their own. It simply has no foundation.
Asteriktos said:
3) They're only atheists because they want to continue their perverted practices
We all adhere to our beliefs for a variety of reasons, and not all of our reasons are pure desire for the truth.
Asteriktos said:
4) Atheists are just people who are angry at God
In some cases this may be ture.
Asteriktos said:
5) Atheists only attack Christians, because Christianity is the one true religion
Christianity does seem to be favored target of atheists.
Asteriktos said:
6) Atheism logically leads to nihilism, so they should just kill themselves
I don't think that they should kill themselves, but I also don't see how one can be an honest atheist and not be a nihilist.
Asteriktos said:
7) Only people on the internet listen to atheists, never in real life
Not sure what this means.
Asteriktos said:
8 ) Atheists are usually adult men living in the basement of their parents
Well, since most atheists are science teachers... ;)
Asteriktos said:
9) Atheists love evolution because it gives them an excuse to act like an animal
I can't comment from personal experience
Asteriktos said:
10) Atheists are blind and refuse to see the overwhelming evidence for the existence of God
I completely endorse this comment.
Asteriktos said:
11) Atheism has caused more death in the world than any other religion
Between abortion and communism, this is absolutely true.
Asteriktos said:
12) Atheism arose due to a warped western Christian theology
From what many atheists have told me, protestant views of God absolutely have lead many to atheism.
[Ahhh, I feel much better]

Other crazy things you've heard?
[/quote]
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JamesRottnek said:
Atheists can be good, but they can never really have a standard (that isn't arbitrary) by which to judge their own goodness.
Not for this to descend into unhappy, unfun, but Christians have been really steady and in agrement in their morals over the millennia. lulz. If you want to argue about this, not only do I have proof but also a place where you do it:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Papist said:
Asteriktos said:
1) Atheism is a religion
It's faith based and ideological, just like religion.
Asteriktos said:
2) Atheists have no morality of their own, and just steal Christian morality
Atheists can make up a morality of their own. It simply has no foundation.
Asteriktos said:
3) They're only atheists because they want to continue their perverted practices
We all adhere to our beliefs for a variety of reasons, and not all of our reasons are pure desire for the truth.
Asteriktos said:
4) Atheists are just people who are angry at God
In some cases this may be ture.
Asteriktos said:
5) Atheists only attack Christians, because Christianity is the one true religion
Christianity does seem to be favored target of atheists.
Asteriktos said:
6) Atheism logically leads to nihilism, so they should just kill themselves
I don't think that they should kill themselves, but I also don't see how one can be an honest atheist and not be a nihilist.
Asteriktos said:
7) Only people on the internet listen to atheists, never in real life
Not sure what this means.
Asteriktos said:
8 ) Atheists are usually adult men living in the basement of their parents
Well, since most atheists are science teachers... ;)
Asteriktos said:
9) Atheists love evolution because it gives them an excuse to act like an animal
I can't comment from personal experience
Asteriktos said:
10) Atheists are blind and refuse to see the overwhelming evidence for the existence of God
I completely endorse this comment.
Asteriktos said:
11) Atheism has caused more death in the world than any other religion
Between abortion and communism, this is absolutely true.
Asteriktos said:
12) Atheism arose due to a warped western Christian theology
From what many atheists have told me, protestant views of God absolutely have lead many to atheism.
[Ahhh, I feel much better]

Other crazy things you've heard?
*, brilliant. You are getting them to come and say there own crazy things in earnest.
 

jnorm888

Archon
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
2,517
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pittsburgh
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:
I dunno, I just like to keep in touch with reality, don't you?  :police: ;)
I don't think those sayings are crazy. If we are strictly looking at the word "atheism" or "atheist" to mean a specific narrow thing or non-belief and nothing else then it would be a case of misapplying the definition.

But in general people know what we mean when we use the term and so no, those sayings are not crazy. Each saying may not apply to each individual atheist who have ever lived, but each of those sayings can apply to an individual atheist who have at one time lived.
 

jnorm888

Archon
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
2,517
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pittsburgh
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com
orthonorm said:
JamesRottnek said:
Atheists can be good, but they can never really have a standard (that isn't arbitrary) by which to judge their own goodness.
Not for this to descend into unhappy, unfun, but Christians have been really steady and in agrement in their morals over the millennia. lulz. If you want to argue about this, not only do I have proof but also a place where you do it:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/
We have a standard. A tradition! Now people want to challenge and change our tradition all the time, but our morality is more stable because of our tradition.

If you are someone who shuns traditionalism and conservatism then naturally your progressiveness will cause any moral system to be unstable. When one combines progressivism with atheism then you will have a recipe for perpetual change in morality.

Tradition is the glue for any society, tribe or people group to be stable. If tradition is constantly questioned then the ground for a stable moral system is shattered.   
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
orthonorm said:
*, brilliant. You are getting them to come and say there own crazy things in earnest.
Yeah, but don't you kinda find it depressing? I mean, these aren't dumb people here, and yet...
 

IsmiLiora

Archon
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Come on, those up there on your high horses, you know this isn't black and white.
 

jnorm888

Archon
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
2,517
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Pittsburgh
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:
orthonorm said:
*, brilliant. You are getting them to come and say there own crazy things in earnest.
Yeah, but don't you kinda find it depressing? I mean, these aren't dumb people here, and yet...
Those sayings are not crazy. We might use the term "atheist" more broadly than the definition that some atheistic apologists would like to use it for, but people know what we mean when we use the term more broadly.

Thus those sayings are not crazy. They are also not crazy because we are speaking in general terms. Those sayings were never suppose to identity the situation for every individual atheist on planet earth.



 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
jnorm888 said:
orthonorm said:
JamesRottnek said:
Atheists can be good, but they can never really have a standard (that isn't arbitrary) by which to judge their own goodness.
Not for this to descend into unhappy, unfun, but Christians have been really steady and in agrement in their morals over the millennia. lulz. If you want to argue about this, not only do I have proof but also a place where you do it:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/
We have a standard. A tradition! Now people want to challenge and change our tradition all the time, but our morality is more stable because of our tradition.

If you are someone who shuns traditionalism and conservatism then naturally your progressiveness will cause any moral system to be unstable. When one combines progressivism with atheism then you will have a recipe for perpetual change in morality.

Tradition is the glue for any society, tribe or people group to be stable. If tradition is constantly questioned then the ground for a stable moral system is shattered.   
You didn't read my post you responded to, but at least you clicked the link. //:=)
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Atheists have poor personal hygiene, thus they smell like feces and body odor.
Atheists devour children, the younger the better because they are more tender.
Atheists never use garlic when they cook children.  Because it scares them.  Thus they are vampires as well.
Atheists have bad haircuts.  It's because their brains are so small that it cannot grow their hair properly.
Atheists don't believe in God because if there was a God he wouldn't have let Goldilocks get eaten by the three bears.  This proves that their religion is a fairy tale.
Atheists believe in evolution because it justifies their having of tails.
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Christians always make the best arguments for atheism.
Papist said:
It's faith based and ideological, just like religion.
But if we use atheism to define a lack of belief in God, is that so much reliant on a faith? I guess I need to see you flesh this out more.

Now the person who flat out rejects God's existence, I agree with you, but I am hung up on what I said above.

Atheists can make up a morality of their own. It simply has no foundation.
Exactly.

We all adhere to our beliefs for a variety of reasons, and not all of our reasons are pure desire for the truth.
I love this.

I don't think that they should kill themselves, but I also don't see how one can be an honest atheist and not be a nihilist.
Again hit it dead on.

I hope to see our other philosopher here, theo, weigh in as well.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,123
Reaction score
45
Points
48
Age
41
Aposphet said:
I hope to see our other philosopher here, theo, weigh in as well.
I predict that would take us into the surreal...
 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
8,017
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
74
Location
South Carolina
biro said:
Craziest thing? Occasionally I run into Christians who are perhaps a tad oversensitive and blurt out something like, "Atheists are all Communists / just like Stalin / you name it." Obviously, that sort of thing is ridiculous.
All atheists are not Communists, but all Communist are atheists by definition, no?
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Second Chance said:
biro said:
Craziest thing? Occasionally I run into Christians who are perhaps a tad oversensitive and blurt out something like, "Atheists are all Communists / just like Stalin / you name it." Obviously, that sort of thing is ridiculous.
All atheists are not Communists, but all Communist are atheists by definition, no?
Technically, yes.
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
Asteriktos said:
1) Atheism is a religion

2) Atheists have no morality of their own, and just steal Christian morality

3) They're only atheists because they want to continue their perverted practices

4) Atheists are just people who are angry at God

5) Atheists only attack Christians, because Christianity is the one true religion

6) Atheism logically leads to nihilism, so they should just kill themselves

7) Only people on the internet listen to atheists, never in real life

8 ) Atheists are usually adult men living in the basement of their parents

9) Atheists love evolution because it gives them an excuse to act like an animal

10) Atheists are blind and refuse to see the overwhelming evidence for the existence of God

11) Atheism has caused more death in the world than any other religion

12) Atheism arose due to a warped western Christian theology

[Ahhh, I feel much better]

Other crazy things you've heard?
Out of all of what you listed, only half of number 6, I don't think it's all that crazy.  It is in a sense nihilist, but they justify it by saying that it's a good thing, that it teaches them to make use of every minute of their lives as best as possible.  So, the killing themselves part is crazy, but I don't think the nihilist part is all that crazy to me.  What do you think?

I do however argue repeatedly that anyone who does believe so really evaluate themselves and realize that in the end, it doesn't even matter for them.  If all that I live for is only around me, then what happens when all that is gone before I'm gone?

But you practically did list everything that Christians should be wary about when having discussions with atheists.  Hats off.

Here's one:

Atheists are douchebags.
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
orthonorm said:
Recently:

I feel bad for atheists, because if they are right, they will never know it.

I did LOL at that one, I must admit.
Why is that so LOL worthy?
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Aposphet said:
orthonorm said:
Recently:

I feel bad for atheists, because if they are right, they will never know it.

I did LOL at that one, I must admit.
Why is that so LOL worthy?
It was the context and person saying it and off-handed manner. It was a you had to be there thing.
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
315
Reaction score
0
Points
0
IsmiLiora said:
Well, just that atheists can't be good people. I point to my signature below.

And I think that some people, when they say that atheists are never happy, are not using the right words. I think that atheists can find some sort of fulfillment and enjoy their lives here on earth, whether through their families, traveling, humanitarian work, the arts, whatever.

But if we, as Christians, can agree that feeling the love, joy, and peace of Christ can not be attained by any other means, they ultimately will never reach that stage of "happiness" (like I said, not the right word. I would use "joy?" I don't know).
A book I'd recommend that really dives into what you're saying is Incarnate Love: Essays in Orthodox Ethics by Vigen Guroian (I've recommended it elsewhere on this site, but I do think it's worth checking out).

As for the thread itself - I know better than to try to respond to it point-by-point. It's an inherent "troll" thread with people who have no intention of defending their claims. So why bother? :)
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
theo philosopher said:
IsmiLiora said:
Well, just that atheists can't be good people. I point to my signature below.

And I think that some people, when they say that atheists are never happy, are not using the right words. I think that atheists can find some sort of fulfillment and enjoy their lives here on earth, whether through their families, traveling, humanitarian work, the arts, whatever.

But if we, as Christians, can agree that feeling the love, joy, and peace of Christ can not be attained by any other means, they ultimately will never reach that stage of "happiness" (like I said, not the right word. I would use "joy?" I don't know).
A book I'd recommend that really dives into what you're saying is Incarnate Love: Essays in Orthodox Ethics by Vigen Guroian (I've recommended it elsewhere on this site, but I do think it's worth checking out).

As for the thread itself - I know better than to try to respond to it point-by-point. It's an inherent "troll" thread with people who have no intention of defending their claims. So why bother? :)
You need to check the history of the word troll on the internets. I have explained it here before. It used to be a badge of honor till everyone and their brother were able to just post irrelevant and fecal matter stirring posts with nothing to back it up. And the same sorta people got drawn into useless threads.

This is trolling in the spirit of the golden years of the internets.

Its called challenging people and / or having fun.
 
Top