Cross and Crucifix

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Today I found a Catholic crucifix and saint medallion I wore in Iraq.  It was all they had available and I didn't see any harm in wearing it, even as a Baptist.  My question is, as an Orthodox, would it be frowned upon if I wore it again, at least until I get an Orthodox cross?  I know it sounds silly, but I just want to get a few opinions first.  Thanks!

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Just wear it, don't get rid of it, there's no reason to. The popular "Orthodox" cross with three bars is mainly Slavic. If you went to Greece, Cyprus or anywhere else that wasn't Slavic and asked them to draw a cross they'd draw the same Latin cross you already know. No reason to get rid of something meaningful to you.

(I'm not Orthodox, just giving you practical advice if I can... There are Orthodox who will want you to throw away everything without any good reason because its "Catholic" when its also actually "Orthodox" and they don't know any better)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with wearing it. Just curious, but who's the saint medallion of?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Give it to your priest to be blessed. If there's something grievously wrong with it he'd (hopefully) tell you.

The cross I wear is a Slavic 8-point Crucifix with Corpus, and my priest really liked it, so I'd think crucifixes are fine in Orthodoxy.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
lots of copts have crucifixes.
mine is a simple cross.
it's the cross in yr heart that matters.
:)

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.  I didn't think it would be an issue, but I wanted to be sure in the event I was confronted about it.  Thanks again!  ;D

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Nephi said:
I don't see a problem with wearing it. Just curious, but who's the saint medallion of?
St. Michael on one side and Guardian Angel on the other.

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A cross is a cross.  As long as it has meaning to you, and invokes images of the story behind it, it's as "Orthodox" as it really needs to be! :)

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
A cross is a cross. Style is cultural. Orthodoxy can be expressed within but also transcends any particular culture.

Wear it. The medallion too.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
A cross is a cross, there is no such thing as an 'Orthodox' cross or a 'Greek' Cross, even though many Slavic Orthodox will mistakenly make this claim. I kind of think that St. Paul would sigh on this point!

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Orthodox11 said:
William said:
Give it to your priest to be blessed.
Crosses need not be blessed. A cross is a cross, it's already blessed.
Well imbuing it with a magical enchantment wasn't really the point of the suggestion, as the rest of my post shows.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I've been wearing it all day.  Every time I feel it move or every time I'm about to say something I shouldn't, I'm reminded it's there.  Helps a lot!

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
NicholasMyra said:
Cognomen said:
We don't typically wear crucifixes.
Are you sure? I thought most Orthodox wore crucifixes.
Is this a trick question?  Most I know (baptismal crosses and such), and most vendors for these things have the cross, sans statuette of Christ.
I agree. It's definitely unusual for Orthodox to wear crosses with corpus in my experience. However I find that many people use the word crucifix to mean any cross for wearing around the neck, and are often unaware that that's not strictly accurate, so I wonder if NicholasMyra was using the word in that sense.

James

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
jmbejdl said:
Cognomen said:
NicholasMyra said:
Cognomen said:
We don't typically wear crucifixes.
Are you sure? I thought most Orthodox wore crucifixes.
Is this a trick question?  Most I know (baptismal crosses and such), and most vendors for these things have the cross, sans statuette of Christ.
I agree. It's definitely unusual for Orthodox to wear crosses with corpus in my experience. However I find that many people use the word crucifix to mean any cross for wearing around the neck, and are often unaware that that's not strictly accurate, so I wonder if NicholasMyra was using the word in that sense.

James
Well, in Romania even the wearing of the so-called "baptismal cross" used to be quite rare or even non-existent . I think people were too poor to afford one.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
There is a difference bewteen Cross and Crucifix, the Protestants have a big time problem with the Crucifix.

I'm traditional Latin Roman Catholic but I almost always wear a Celtic Cross.

It's a personal preference even though I'm not Irish.

A Crucifix ( with the corpus) is usually a distinctly Catholic emblem.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
There is a difference bewteen Cross and Crucifix, the Protestants have a big time problem with the Crucifix.

I'm traditional Latin Roman Catholic but I almost always wear a Celtic Cross.

It's a personal preference even though I'm not Irish.

A Crucifix ( with the corpus) is usually a distinctly Catholic emblem.
The one I have is a Catholic crucifix.  Protestants complain, and it's nitpicking to fight the Catholic Church, Christ is no longer dead and not on the cross.