• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Current Events, Prophecy, and the Eschaton

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Dear Liza, thank you for this post. I watched the service and the comments afterwards. I couldn't stop crying as well. I am still crying. I do not understand what is happening to this world. Please Lord, have mercy! Please stop this insanity.
I know no one wants to hear this, including me, but according to prophecies of holy elders and modern Saints of our EO Church, we are in the last days. Pestilence, weather catastrophes and war, not to mention the EO church itself in disarray. It's very scary and sad, but we all know that these types of things were prophesied in the Bible. Of course, none of us want the actual days that we live in to be the end times. May the Lord have mercy so as many, as many as possible will be saved.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I know no one wants to hear this, including me, but according to prophecies of holy elders and modern Saints of our EO Church, we are in the last days. Pestilence, weather catastrophes and war, not to mention the EO church itself in disarray. It's very scary and sad, but we all know that these types of things were prophesied in the Bible. Of course, none of us want the actual days that we live in to be the end times. May the Lord have mercy so as many, as many as possible will be saved.
Haven't saints believed this for millenia? I am skeptical of some interpretation that the last days are literally right now, since Christ said the last days were at hand 2000 years ago, but in a relative sense. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if the end were right now - the majority of people in the world probably haven't even heard of Orthodoxy.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Delete

Last edited:

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
I don't think they're saying the end is imminent but that things are taking a turn in the direction of the true last days. A lot more needs to happen before Christ returns. I am no expert. But the things that have been happening since 2020 forward have been getting everyone's attention: COVID, the vaccine mandates and people losing jobs, the crazy weather worldwide, now wth this war. Sure, we've had disease, bad weather and wars in modern times but this is next level what we've experienced crammed into 2 short years. We were hoping COVID would die down and now this war. Not to mention what is going on in the EO church re: schism, people leaving the faith, lack of unity. The prophesies about all these matters are uncanny to say the least.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I don't think they're saying the end is imminent but that things are taking a turn in the direction of the true last days. A lot more needs to happen before Christ returns. I am no expert. But the things that have been happening since 2020 forward have been getting everyone's attention: COVID, the vaccine mandates and people losing jobs, the crazy weather worldwide, now wth this war. Sure, we've had disease, bad weather and wars in modern times but this is next level what we've experienced crammed into 2 short years. We were hoping COVID would die down and now this war. Not to mention what is going on in the EO church re: schism, people leaving the faith, lack of unity. The prophesies about all these matters are uncanny to say the least.
Makes more sense.. I hope there is more time for repentance and the growth of the Church in the West.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
We shouldn't forget that what we read in Revalation is a pattern repeating itself through all of Human history.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
We shouldn't forget that what we read in Revalation is a pattern repeating itself through all of Human history.
True, but recent prophecies of Saints and holy elders point to a new era as hasn't been seen in the Church before. May the Lord have mercy and grant us all true repentance.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
True, but recent prophecies of Saints and holy elders point to a new era as hasn't been seen in the Church before. May the Lord have mercy and grant us all true repentance.
Can you flesh that out a bit? I am honestly pretty sceptical about the tendency of particularly Greek clergymen to make exceedingly precise statements about certain points in the future. It has been disproved more than once.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
@Katechon: YouTube has a lot of content regarding this, search: Orthodox Prophecies. Now, I will say that I myself am not 100% convinced but I'm definitely more than 50% convinced regarding them. Mainly because of the world events that have transpired and continue to transpire since 2020. Elder Ephraim stated that right after his death, things would start happening. He reposed in December of 2019.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Research this yourself and come to your own conclusions. Like I said, I'm not completely sure. Who am I? I'm just trying to process all I see happening with what I have read and heard. Maybe I misspoke earlier in stating we are in the last days. All I do know, is I don't like what is happening in the world in recent years.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
@Katechon: YouTube has a lot of content regarding this, search: Orthodox Prophecies. Now, I will say that I myself am not 100% convinced but I'm definitely more than 50% convinced regarding them. Mainly because of the world events that have transpired and continue to transpire since 2020. Elder Ephraim stated that right after his death, things would start happening. He reposed in December of 2019.
Source for Elder Ephraim please?

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
I dunno, Metropolitan Neophytos of Morphou said Coof would end in May 2021, which it obviously didn't. So there is a certain brazenness to these prophecies that makes me scratch my head quite a bit.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
I think the book of Ecclesiastes, while not generally apocalyptic, lays out our human condition. I think if we take into account what the Lord preached in Matthew 24 & 25, it seems like if bad things overwhelm stability, then the end is near. A lot will happen along the way ( & obviously has for centuries). It does not seem good to assume or force anything.

I don’t think the original consensus of the church was to encourage immediate, imminent apocalyptic thinking. For ex. the book of Revelation is in the Bible but not encouraged to be closely interpreted & read cautiously. Are we to listen to uncertain prophecies as a substitute?

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
I think the book of Ecclesiastes, while not generally apocalyptic, lays out our human condition. I think if we take into account what the Lord preached in Matthew 24 & 25, it seems like if bad things overwhelm stability, then the end is near. A lot will happen along the way ( & obviously has for centuries). It does not seem good to assume or force anything.

I don’t think the original consensus of the church was to encourage immediate, imminent apocalyptic thinking. For ex. the book of Revelation is in the Bible but not encouraged to be closely interpreted & read cautiously. Are we to listen to uncertain prophecies as a substitute?
Good question. The recent prophecies that are out there and that are being broadcast by Orthodox sources, esp on YT are being done so, according to them, not to speculate but to warn and prepare the flock and of course, a cry for our repentance.

Some others also say that we shouldn't preoccupy ourselves with prophesies, but just continue on the road to salvation as usual.

But I think in light of all the confusion, mandates, church closings, world turmoil, vaccines etc. the prophesies act as a guide for us to make godly choices and are needed. We all can admit, in modern times, we have never seen such as what's been happening the past 2 years. It is very unusual.

Irened

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
I dunno, Metropolitan Neophytos of Morphou said Coof would end in May 2021, which it obviously didn't. So there is a certain brazenness to these prophecies that makes me scratch my head quite a bit.
He said that? Do you have the source?

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
He said that? Do you have the source?
It's in one of his videos on Uncreated Light Press. I think from around the time of January 2021.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
What do you all think of St. Paisios' (supposed anyway) prediction of a war between Greece/Russia and Turkey over maritime boundaries and the conversion of Turkey to Orthodoxy? In one way, some people have cast doubt on its legitimacy and it could be falsely interpolated or interpreted by Greek nationalists. But I think it does actually appear in some of his books, though I don't recall which one. And it does seem plausible, because Turkey and Greece have had tensions over that issue and many Muslims throughout the Middle East have had dreams of Christ and are beginning to move towards Christianity. I know of a Protestant missionary to Turkey in the process of converting to Orthodoxy who has personally verified as much.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Take a look at this.

We have been in ‘the Last Days’ since Christ was crucified.

Don’t worry about when he is going to come. Just be ready.

The age of prophecy ended with the death of the Apostle John.

WR-News

Reaction score
The age of prophecy ended with the death of the Apostle John.
Then why are prophets mentioned in the Didache and why do we have Saint John the Prophet?

Prophecy is alive and well in the Church, but not necessarily in Youtube videos or clickbait articles on Orthodox websites.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
There is a distinction between Prophets, i.e the OT saints and apostles, which teach canonical divine revelation, and saints that have the spiritual gift of prophecy for the edification of the Church.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Fr. Hopko of blessed memory was a priest. It’s not clickbait, the video’s been up for years.

I posted it precisely because it’s aimed at those who worry a little too much and listen to anything that tells them what they want to hear.

The term ‘confirmation bias’ ring a bell?

WR-News

Reaction score
Fr. Hopko of blessed memory was a priest. It’s not clickbait, the video’s been up for years.

I posted it precisely because it’s aimed at those who worry a little too much and listen to anything that tells them what they want to hear.

The term ‘confirmation bias’ ring a bell?
I didn't mean Fr. Thomas' video, but those kind of "Elder XXX says ANTICHRIST IS HERE, TURKEY TO CONVERT IN 2023" type stuff.