• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

David Cameron to launch £2,000,000 Islamic Bond

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The UK's Prime Minister, David Cameron, is reported in today's Daily Telegraph to be launching in a few day's a first at the upcoming World Islamic Economic Forum. The Bond, a first in a non-Islamic country, will attract and encourage investment in the UK.

Truly Londonistan in more ways than one. Hope he remembers to wear his Poppy to the Forum.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Few things are better for a stable nation's economy than foreign investment, especially by those who would could be seen as "hostile".

America is a prime example of this. We need more Chinese entanglement in our economy especially in real estate and the like. Currency holding is a more complicated matter, but still a good thing.

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Outsourcing is good for the global economy!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Gunnarr said:
But not necessarily the local one.
This is investment. Not sure what kind, but outside odd derivative packages is likely a good thing for the UK within the horizon of traditional capitalistic thought.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
J Michael said:
Gunnarr said:
This is investment. Not sure what kind, but outside odd derivative packages is likely a good thing for the UK within the horizon of traditional capitalistic thought.
Indeed. Combination of Nationalism/Patriotism/Whatever and Capitalism is rather weird. They are antitheticas as money doesn't have a motherland.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Islamic Economics bans usury. Good luck.

Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
J Michael said:
Gunnarr said:
Indeed. Combination of Nationalism/Patriotism/Whatever and Capitalism is rather weird. They are antitheticas as money doesn't have a motherland.
I quite dislike those things.

orthonorm said:
Few things are better for a stable nation's economy than foreign investment, especially by those who would could be seen as "hostile".

America is a prime example of this. We need more Chinese entanglement in our economy especially in real estate and the like. Currency holding is a more complicated matter, but still a good thing.
China is doing quite well, as is Russia. I support BRICS. I don't see the American economy going anywhere if all that will come of it are consumerism, debt, and war.

Mrs. Jord

Reaction score
Seems a bit silly to me, but oh well.  What the UK does is its own business.

Here is a BBC link I found about it.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24722440

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
xOrthodox4Christx said:

Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
J Michael said:
Gunnarr said:

orthonorm said:

China is doing quite well, as is Russia. I support BRICS. I don't see the American economy going anywhere if all that will come of it are consumerism, debt, and war.
I assure you, if you think debt is a problem in America, we can't even begin to talk economics.

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, been busy.

I referred to 'Londonistan' because the writer and journalist wrote a book Londonistan, and London is the UK's financial centre.

As to Islamic investment being a good thing, my question would how? Remembering that the very Islamic states that invest in the Western countries also seem involved in (1) funding Wahhabi and Salafi forms of Islam in the West, and (2) also Jihadist groups also get funds from these same countries. At very best this sounds like a two edged sword and does not apparently protect us from attack by these groups.

As for Chinese investment being good for us? I don't share this view. Nor do I view debt as good economics.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:

Alpo said:
orthonorm said:
J Michael said:
Gunnarr said:

orthonorm said:

I assure you, if you think debt is a problem in America, we can't even begin to talk economics.
Lots of countries have lots of debt. But if that's all we can accumulate, then that's a problem. I think we can be more productive than simply accumulating debt.

As for Chinese investment being good for us? I don't share this view. Nor do I view debt as good economics.
We should stop warring with and spying on other nations and start opening up free trade. Then the Economy would be fine.