• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Deadly Journeys of the Apostles

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
I've just watched the first episode of this series on History Channel. It dealt with the Apostles who headed east: Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthaias. Told about their journeys, their work in India, and their eventual martyrdom. I found it quite interesting as I know very little about that part of Christian history. So my question is this: If you have seen any of this series, how accurate is it? Is it reliable? It's not Orthodox, but does seem to be well researched and appears favourable to Christianity.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
genesisone said:
I've just watched the first episode of this series on History Channel. It dealt with the Apostles who headed east: Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthaias. Told about their journeys, their work in India, and their eventual martyrdom. I found it quite interesting as I know very little about that part of Christian history. So my question is this: If you have seen any of this series, how accurate is it? Is it reliable? It's not Orthodox, but does seem to be well researched and appears favourable to Christianity.
I'm guessing their only sources are Eusebius and maybe some Malankara oral tradition. Most secular historians would be skeptical (especially given Eusebius' reputation as a "noble liar"- though whether he deserves that or not is debatable).

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
genesisone said:
The only episode I saw in full was the one you saw.  I was pleasantly surprised: expecting a disaster, it was actually well done.  Most of the episode dealt with St Thomas.  The other two apostles were barely mentioned in comparison, which I thought was unfortunate, but overall it was a good program.  If the other episodes are like this one, I look forward to watching them and perhaps purchasing a copy.   

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Volnutt said:
genesisone said:
I'm guessing their only sources are Eusebius and maybe some Malankara oral tradition. Most secular historians would be skeptical (especially given Eusebius' reputation as a "noble liar"- though whether he deserves that or not is debatable).
It's been a few weeks since I've watched it, but I don't recall a whole lot of Eusebius being used. 

As to the skepticism of "most secular historians", no one cares. 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Volnutt said:
genesisone said:
I've never heard Eusebius called a liar.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Volnutt said:
genesisone said:
I've never heard Eusebius called a liar.
That it will be necessary sometimes to use falsehood as a remedy for the benefit of those who require such a mode of treatment.- Preparatio Evangelica Book XII, Chapter 31
It's rather complicated, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eusebius#Assessment

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Volnutt said:
genesisone said:
It's been a few weeks since I've watched it, but I don't recall a whole lot of Eusebius being used. 

As to the skepticism of "most secular historians", no one cares.
Ok

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
genesisone said:
The only episode I saw in full was the one you saw.  I was pleasantly surprised: expecting a disaster, it was actually well done.  Most of the episode dealt with St Thomas.  The other two apostles were barely mentioned in comparison, which I thought was unfortunate, but overall it was a good program.  If the other episodes are like this one, I look forward to watching them and perhaps purchasing a copy. 
I watched it online at history.ca - not likely available outside Canada. Is it available on history.com? I plan to get started watching the second episode this afternoon.