• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Debts or Trespasses?

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
The Authorized Version renders the Our Father in the Gospel of St. Matthew as “forgive us our trespassers, as we forgive those who have trespassed against us”, whereas I occasionally hear a variation on the St. Luke version, along the lines of “forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.”  Traditional Anglican BCPs and some Orthodox liturgies opt for Trespasses, but I have also heard some English language Orthodox liturgies go for debts/debtors instead (which I believe is also the wording the ESV uses for Matthew).

What does your parish or jurisdiction use, and which form of the prayer do you personally prefer for your private devotions, and why?

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I most often attend OCA diocese of the South parishes, which say debts. This varies from diocese to diocese in the OCA, or perhaps it's parish to parish.

I prefer debts. I don't know the Greek, although in the Vulgate it's "debitas" which is usually translated as "debts." I like debts because I think of monetary debt as pretty significant, and so the word debt stresses the seriousness of the situation to me. The word tresspasses doesn't. It makes me think of walking across someone else's lawn.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
I say debts

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
FWIW, I have read countless Portuguese versions of the Lord's Prayer, and I never read any that didn't use dívidas (debts) apart from NTLH, which is explicitly paraphrastic, meant to be used by simple people. Both are reasonable translations for the Greek original, but "debts" is more literal, evoking the imagery of parables such as St. Luke 7:40-47 and St. Matthew 18:21-35, while "trespasses" is more paraphrastic. Church Slavonic also uses "debts" (длъгы).

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
My former OCA DOS parish said "debts", current Antiochian parish says "trespasses."

I prefer debts just because that's how I learned it.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
From what I've read, "debts" is the most accurate rendering and debt and debt-relief in the most literal sense were a major concern for the audience. The "lead us not into temptation" may in fact be a reference to a trial in debtors' court.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Iconodule said:
From what I've read, "debts" is the most accurate rendering and debt and debt-relief in the most literal sense were a major concern for the audience. The "lead us not into temptation" may in fact be a reference to a trial in debtors' court.
I had never heard this, but it actually makes sense.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Jesus said "debts", so it's good enough for me.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
DBH has definitely argued for it in his post-translation writings.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
I think the Greek word means something along the line of "debts," but our Church still says, ". . . and forgive us are trespasses . . ."

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Luke said:
I think the Greek word means something along the line of "debts," but our Church still says, ". . . and forgive us are trespasses . . ."
It does (literally, 'what we owe'). But we say 'trespasses' too, and I prefer it. 'Debts' just doesn't have the same ring to it. :p

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
True.  I vaguely remember reading an article that worked in both meanings.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Agabus said:
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
DBH = David Bentley Hart?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Ofc I don't say this prayer in English, but in Polish, Serbian, Church Slavonic or Arabic, depending on situation.

In Polish there is "winy" - "winowajcom", so "guilts" - "that are guilt toward us".

In Serbian and Church Slavonic there is "debts" - "debtors".

In Arabic there is different construction
"and leave us for us that what is on us as we leave for whom that is on us"

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
"Trespasses" both for what my parish uses and what I prefer.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Agabus said:
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
Of course he has. :p Not a judgment on whether he’s right in this case or not, but he reads everything as a Marxist struggle.

Prufrock

Reaction score
Consider also the Latin Pater Noster: "et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris".

dēbitum n (genitive dēbitī); second declension

A debt; something that is owed to another person or entity.
An obligation.
A rent, rental payment

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Antonis said:
Agabus said:
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
Of course he has. :p Not a judgment on whether he’s right in this case or not, but he reads everything as a Marxist struggle.
To really read everything as Marxist struggle, he would have to be a materialist and he is stridently not materialist.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Catholics say "trespasses", my Greek parish says "trespasses", I normally say "trespasses", but if I'm reading out of something I'll go with "debts" and "the evil one" if they used that instead.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Iconodule said:
Antonis said:
Agabus said:
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
To really read everything as Marxist struggle, he would have to be a materialist and he is stridently not materialist.
Over the last decades, many intellectuals have shown to be quite Marxian happily coming short of Marxism.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
Antonis said:
Agabus said:
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
Over the last decades, many intellectuals have shown to be quite Marxian happily coming short of Marxism.
If something is 63 percent correct, it's OK to be 63 percent with it.