• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Deceiving God in Confession?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit bothered about going to Confession for a sin I don't believe is a sin. Even after confessing, I am willing to still do that sin over and over. I don't want to make any changes not to do this sin, if that makes sense.

But I feel like I'm going to confession under false pretenses and not truly repenting of the sin. There's a word that describes this but I can't remember what it was (some literature I read said this is akin to blasphemy).

I can argue and justify myself on why I think its not a sin, but what good will that pride do?

I want to be a faithful Orthodox Christian yet I don't want to be double-minded either.

Of course I am going to talk about this with my priest but curious if anyone here has felt the same and what they did about it.

Thanks.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I confessed it and confessed I didn't believe it was a sin and didn't think it was so bad.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
I was through that feeling many times. This disturbed me greatly, but the solution seemed pretty easy: I just made this very clear in confession. "I did this and that, I know it was sinful, but it has taken my will. I haven't really repented and I don't feel like changing, but I want to because it disturbs my relationship with God." God already knew that and the priest sure had heard far worse things, so why hiding?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I think its just a general confession . . . Like saying "I confess my sins" ...