• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Declining Activity on OCNet?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Well hopefully it sticks around. For ten years now it's been the difference between my being vaguely tethered to Christianity and giving up on the whole thing entirely :angel:

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Asteriktos said:
Well hopefully it sticks around. For ten years now it's been the difference between my being vaguely tethered to Christianity and giving up on the whole thing entirely :angel:
It’s had a significant impact on my faith, too.

maneki_neko

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AOCA of North America
LizaSymonenko said:
It's because there now exist countless Facebook pages and groups... which are easier to comment on via mobile device.
I think this is a really good point. Even though my Facebook usage in the regular sense has steadily declined, discovering certain Orthodox FB groups has kept me on. I pretty much only use it to interact in those groups. It's easier from a mobile perspective and the vibe is a little more lighthearted/personal.

Not that I don't value the contributions of this forum. There is a wealth of information I'm indebted to.

But I'd like a reaction button for us mostly lurkers lol.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
The search feature isn't what it used to be it seems.  I can't find any thing.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
ialmisry said:
The search feature isn't what it used to be it seems.  I can't find any thing.
I would fix it, but I am too busy with the new software.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
maneki_neko said:
LizaSymonenko said:
It's because there now exist countless Facebook pages and groups... which are easier to comment on via mobile device.
I think this is a really good point. Even though my Facebook usage in the regular sense has steadily declined, discovering certain Orthodox FB groups has kept me on. I pretty much only use it to interact in those groups. It's easier from a mobile perspective and the vibe is a little more lighthearted/personal.

Not that I don't value the contributions of this forum. There is a wealth of information I'm indebted to.

But I'd like a reaction button for us mostly lurkers lol.
This is coming, but it won’t be a boring like/dislike feature in the manner of Facebook or YouTube, and users will have to be logged in.  The feedback options are also not anonymous but display usernames.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Asteriktos said:

Don’t worry about that; we are plotting world domination, the goal being to make Mor Ephrem’s title  “Judge of the Interwebs” more than an honorific.  ;)

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Alpha60 said:
Asteriktos said:

Don’t worry about that; we are plotting world domination, the goal being to make Mor Ephrem’s title  “Judge of the Interwebs” more than an honorific.  ;)
Mor for Patriarch of America 2020!

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Arachne said:
RaphaCam said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if I would have created a very active account in OCnet if I had found a community in Facebook back in 2015.
Eh. Message boards developed out of the old mailing lists; format has changed, but I don't think they're going away any time soon. There will always be people to appreciate discussions in an environment less transient than a social media platform. We were here long before FB; we'll likely stay here long after it too.
Yeah, but I was just looking for English-speaking Orthodox Christians besides the usual stereotypical boomers on Ask About the Orthodox Faith. I love this format, though!

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Apparently rakovsky is trying to singlehandedly increase form activity, lol.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I don't post as much because I just don't care about finding answers to questions anymore.

EDIT: What I meant to say is that the questions don't seem so pressing anymore.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
SolEX01 said:
I was thinking the same thing.

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Caliphate of The Overthere...
At 11:00pm EST

1,569 Guests, 6 Users (0 Buddies, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Avdima, Pravoslavbob, isxodnik, Gloria Tibi Trinitas, Alveus Lacuna
It seems there are a lot of people or bots visiting but not a lot of logged in members.

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Alpha60 said:
I will admit I myself am not a great contributor to the forum in terms of content, so I am now focused on helping the community technically.
I personally think you're one of the most brilliant writers around here. I can honestly say I've learned something from almost every post you've ever made. I may not agree with everything, or better, maybe I don't ever understand it, but I usually learn something new when you post it. Sometimes I wonder if you're really well read or what it must be, but often times you share information I've not been privy to before. God Bless.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
For a long time, the Most Online record was 651.  Apparently, 2,400 guests and/or bots have discovered the forum, lol.

Most Online:
    3,031 - Today at 04:29:13 AM

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
SolEX01 said:
Yes.
I love OC.net and I loved the Monachos forum, but sadly that is gone. It would be sad if this one went too.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Avdima said:

It seems there are a lot of people or bots visiting but not a lot of logged in members.
This site's archives serve as a log for discussion. Many Google searches on Orthodox contentious themes have us as one of the first results.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
SolEX01 said:
For a long time, the Most Online record was 651.  Apparently, 2,400 guests and/or bots have discovered the forum, lol.

Most Online:
    3,031 - Today at 04:29:13 AM
:laugh:  I think it's quality discussion we want, not necessarily traffic, though traffic is nice.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Ainnir said:
. . . though traffic is nice.
Except during rush hour.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
SolEX01 said:
Yes.
I love OC.net and I loved the Monachos forum, but sadly that is gone. It would be sad if this one went too.
That is why we have to try to support the site.  Anastasios left a message today about us continuing to support the site.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Avdima said:

This site's archives serve as a log for discussion. Many Google searches on Orthodox contentious themes have us as one of the first results.
That is true.  I have found topics that way when doing a search.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Perhaps more forumers are doing 40 prostrations before clicking "Post".

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
hecma925 said:
Sometimes I feel the need to do 40 prostrations after clicking "Post".

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
PorphyriosK said:
hecma925 said:
Sometimes I feel the need to do 40 prostrations after clicking "Post".
That's how the deceiver gets you.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
The declining activity is pretty simple. The interesting contributors that no longer post for various reasons were never replaced by other interesting posters. This place has become stale and boring.

What's the point of starting discussions if you know there isn't going to be any lively debate?

I find there is much more activity on Facebook, for better or worse.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Getting pretty tired of all the comments about how much we current active members all suck compared to those who came before us. 

If anyone still wants this site to keep going I guarantee that's a losing strategy. 

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
?
Our forerunners were typing out four different posts simultaneously while also writing out doctoral dissertations with both feet. We shall never see their like again.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Don't take it personally, PorphyriosK.  Not everyone comes here wanting lively debate.  Some people may want connection, answers, a sounding board, or simple discussion.  Ideally, we're able to balance and accommodate as much of that as possible.

Brilko said:
Our forerunners were typing out four different posts simultaneously while also writing out doctoral dissertations with both feet. We shall never see their like again.
There's that, too.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
PorphyriosK said:
Getting pretty tired of all the comments about how much we current active members all suck compared to those who came before us. 

If anyone still wants this site to keep going I guarantee that's a losing strategy. 
+++

+++

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
When I first joined OC.net, I would not only post but engage in IM discussions with other members. When was the last time anyone exchanged IM's? And chat rooms- even OC.net had it's own chat room for awhile.  I think the types of social media most people are using has changed and will continue to change. When I joined in 2004 I was also a member of a few other online forums dealing with professional issues and hobbies; they are all either gone or seeing the same lack of new posts. The "golden age" of online forums has come and gone.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
RobS said:
Lol what is this?

Not sure, maybe Alpha will chime in. Another thing that's always confused me was the inexplicably sharp increase in page views at the same time when actual number of posts was declining (and also, why that phenomenon is now fading away).

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Tallitot said:
When I first joined OC.net, I would not only post but engage in IM discussions with other members. When was the last time anyone exchanged IM's?
(1) All the old IMs are gone. (2) Ain't nobody got time for real-time convos anyway. Besides, time zones.

Tallitot said:
And chat rooms- even OC.net had it's own chat room for awhile.
If people would like an OC.net Discord server, we could consider it.

Tallitot said:
I think the types of social media most people are using has changed and will continue to change. When I joined in 2004 I was also a member of a few other online forums dealing with professional issues and hobbies; they are all either gone or seeing the same lack of new posts. The "golden age" of online forums has come and gone.
Depends on the kind of forum. Most of the writing communities I've been a part of are still around (with a few mergers and takeovers, but still, around). Social media don't favour long posts.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
Has anyone noticed the number of users online lately? Something seems dysfunctional; as I post, there are 3 members but over 5,000 viewers. In the last week I had noticed a much higher ratio of viewers to members but usually about 5 members vs roughly 300 viewers. That seemed believable & a hopeful sign that visitors still read OC net in healthy numbers. I do not know what to make of the current stats; I hope they are correct.

sestir

Bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
A strange inversion of traffic happened on my blog a week in September, where my least interesting articles suddenly got many more visitors than usual. It was pages like I don't have time to write anything this month but here's a picture of my chili plant that saw an increase in visitors from an average 0/week to 15/that week, or so. It could be completely unrelated to the trends affecting this forum, but if a search engine has to omit certain pages from the results for one or another reason, it might scramble to find anything remotely relevant. So, my very uninformed guess would be search engine traffic on a day when the weather is bad on the Internets.

I hope somebody can provide more insight. :]

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
?
One member is worth more than many viewers. Viewers, whether human or bot, are seeking content. Active members make content.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Brilko said:
One member is worth more than many viewers. Viewers, whether human or bot, are seeking content. Active members make content.
More valuable than viewers are the posters; for the poster doth produce content, while the viewer but watches. Amen, amen, I say to you, if any man register for the forum, he doeth well. But woe unto the man who registereth not! For he produceth no content.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Many of my posts are in the private forums since they deal with issues that are considered "political." So, many people don't see those posts and little discussion is generated. I'm not sure what the solution is to that. For example, I understand how abortion is considered a political issue, but I don't understand why it is not more importantly deemed a faith issue. This is not a criticism of the moderators, just an example of where I think a lot of potentially robust and important discussions go to die in the private forums.

Selam

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AANA
Iconodule said:
A lot of my favorite posters are gone or lurking; a lot of new people have come in whose contributions are... less than interesting.
Without some of those old quality posters, things have gotten a bit boring, I must admit.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Many of my posts are in the private forums since they deal with issues that are considered "political." So, many people don't see those posts and little discussion is generated. I'm not sure what the solution is to that. For example, I understand how abortion is considered a political issue, but I don't understand why it is not more importantly deemed a faith issue. This is not a criticism of the moderators, just an example of where I think a lot of potentially robust and important discussions go to die in the private forums.

Selam
That's because it's almost impossible for it to not turn political.  But there are a few threads still on the public fora dealing with the subject, if you feel like searching.  :)