• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Definition Of Cursing

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I'm wondering if there is already some baseline definition of cursing out there that I can work with, ideally from saint or council. I looked at some old threads, but they generally devolved, went off topic, etc. I do not want a definition that involves cussing (eg, someone saying they're "proud"), swearing (eg, someone prefacing lots of statements with "honestly"), channeling (eg, speaking in the name of a demon), blasphemy (eg, using "Lord, have mercy." as a vain exclamation rather than a prayer), or some other form of profanation, just specifically cursing. Does anyone have a definition, either for cursing generally (eg, Mark: 11.21) or the more negative sort of cursing (eg, Mark: 7:10)? Thanks!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Anything that is spoken, that is not spoken out of love, and with love, and not spoken in a way that is meant to encourage, support, or comfort the listener, or to benefit their eternal salvation.... simply should not be spoken.