• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Deposed vs Excommunicated

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
In regard to these canons:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.xvii.iv.html

Why is the punishment for clergy being deposed, but for a layman it is excommunication? I would have thought that if laymen are excommunicated, clergy should be too, as they committed a bigger sin by not only making a mistake, but also leading others astray by virtue of their high position.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
being deposed is worse than excommunication

Canon V.  (VI.)
Let not a bishop, presbyter, or deacon, put away his wife under pretence of religion; but if he put her away, let him be excommunicated; and if he persists, let him be deposed.

These canons are interesting thanks for sharing

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Ok, can someone explain why being deposed is worse than excommunication?

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
maybe deposed means lose the priesthood forever but excommunicated means one can be received as a layman if he confesses and repents his sin although maybe one is excommunicated from the Holy Communion thus proving constant communion is not necessary to go to heaven for those who are excommunicated
How long is one excommunicated for normally? does excommunication mean one stops talking to you forever? the only one's to be excommunicated are those whom paul mentioned one named a brother who sins as a lifestyle and needs to know that God will judge him if he does not repent Jude says to save him with fear pulling him out of the fire otherwise excommunicating someone is an unforgivable sin for Jesus will say "I was a stranger and you did not take Me in"

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Canon XLV.
Let a bishop, presbyter, or deacon, who has only prayed with heretics, be excommunicated:  but if he has permitted them to perform any clerical office, let him be deposed.

excommunication must be non permanent then I think

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
qawe said:

Why is the punishment for clergy being deposed, but for a layman it is excommunication? I would have thought that if laymen are excommunicated, clergy should be too, as they committed a bigger sin by not only making a mistake, but also leading others astray by virtue of their high position.
It's because of the canonical principle that you can't punish twice for the same infraction. 

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Mor Ephrem said:
qawe said:

It's because of the canonical principle that you can't punish twice for the same infraction. 
Mor is correct.

However, if a priest or member of the clergy is deposed, they must repent or they cannot receive Holy Communion. Unfortunately, when clergy are deposed, they can remain unrepentant. This lack of repentance will bar them from receiving the Holy Mysteries. In this sense, they have excommunicated themselves, so they need our prayers that they may repent.