• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Designing An Icon/Prayer Corner

ergro

Reaction score
Israel/Palestine/Whatever your political leanings
Faith
Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Jerusalem
My problem here is mainly one of variety. With all the pilgrim's stores of the Old City just a few minutes away, I can get my hands on just about any religious artifact I want. And, as a result, I have zero freaking clue where to start.

I was thinking of starting out with what I already have. So around a waist -level desk (this should allow for bowing) with some shelves underneath, and maybe some shelves I could tack on to the wall above it. I already have a Church-style censer and around a kilo of incense (if there's one thing you can get for cheap around these parts, it's incense) so I'd keep the censer on the desk or one of the top shelves and the incense/coals on one of the lower ones. Service/prayer books and a Bible would go on one of the bottom shelves as well. Maybe hang a votive lamp above it, and I'd probably use tea lights for the desk itself, being cheap and easily replaceable. I'd keep the center of the desk clear for the books, and probably a standing cross behind this center space.

From there - no clue at all what I'd do. I was thinking of decorating the wall space around and above the desk with icons and crosses, but I have no idea which ones I should aim for. Maybe some religious trinkets (holy water vial or a Komboskini) on the upper shelves, but I don't really know what else to put up there. What would you guys do? Is there a "standard" format for icon corners that I should be following?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
There's no real standard format of how it should look.  Take a look at what some members here have in their homes:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24349.0.html

It sounds like you would have a nice setup for an icon corner.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I have two icon corners - one upstairs which was my first one - in my office.  The other is downstairs on a mantle.
The mantle is on an east wall, the upstairs icon corner is on a North East wall.  I've found that Icon corners are organic and tend to take a life of their own and change according to gifts and circumstances. 

The icon corner upstairs had a green satin cover cover with another green satin table runner.  They are both packed away until this time next year due to the mites we had in the house. 

I wanted this one to be higher than me as I wanted to be reminded that He is higher than I can ever imagine. 

My husband made the shelf for me - the back is extended as an alter - there is room for everything that needs to go on it. 

This was made before I was chrismated years ago. . . Everything is usually in pristine 'order' from the icons to the where everything 'goes'.  But as I said, life tends to stir things up a bit and it becomes organic.

This is a relatively new icon corner. . .not a newbie any longer - so it is at it is.  . . and very very very important to me. . .living . . . with my letting go and letting God and I just . . . be.

Both prayer corners are well over due for a good cleaning and sulfur removed. (TODAY!)

The lesson for me is that He is higher than I am, and knows the comfort that the soul needs.. . both are my favorite places in the house. . .so whatever you choose to do. . .let it be your place to go to be with your Lord God.  The rest will make it more and more beautiful as time goes.  It will be more and more HOME within our 'house'.