Did Adam, Eve, and the Patriarchs know God's Personal Name before Moses?

Theophanius

Reaction score
In Genesis 14:22, it is stated,

" But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I now raise my hand and
solemnly swear to [God's Personal Name], maker of
heaven and earth, that I won’t take a...."

Yet, later, in Exodus 6:3, God speaks to Moses and
states,

"I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as El Shadday, but I didn’t
make myself known to them by my name, [God's Personal Name]."

Did Abraham know God's Name as [God's Personal Name]", blessed be His Name, as in
Genesis 14:22? If he did, then what does Exodus 6:3 mean?

There are many instances of God’s Personal Name being used going all the way back to
Eve in the copies of the Hebrew Manuscripts that give us the current protestant
versions of the Bible, including the NKJV, NRSV, etc. In Most English
speaking Bibles, LORD (Al RUBB, in Arabic) in capital letters are used to designate
“Adonai”, the Hebrew word for LORD to replace God’s Personal Name.

When reviewing the Names of God in the latest Hebrew copies of the Bible, it appears
that going all the way back to Eve in the book of Genesis, God’s Personal name
was known. There is a Bible translation called, “NOG- Name of God Bible”
that avoids the Jewish tradition of replacing God’s name with other epithets
and uses the original Names ascribed to God such as the description EL/Elohim
and El Elyon, meaning Most High, and God Almighty, and His personal name,
blessed be His Name, “Y__H”

One explanation I cam across holds that God’s Personal Name, blessed be His Name,
WAS known prior to Moses, even to Abraham and all way back to Eve, but that the
full meaning of His Personal Name, was not fully experienced or understood
until the time of Moses and the exodus, but I have trouble swallowing that
interpretation, given the plain reading of the English, “..I didn’t make myself
known to them by my name, Y____h”. For example, the Bible says about Eve
in Genesis 4:1

“..... She said, “I have gotten the man that [God's Personal Name] promised.”

Which in the NKJV is worded, ".... and said, “I have acquired a man from the Lord.”

Theophanius

Reaction score
You can't type "LORD"?
"LORD" is the English Equivalent to "Adonai" or Greek Kyrios, used to replace God's Personal Name provided in Hebrew out of respect so that they don't write the actual Name, the Tetragrammaton.

Thetruthisgod

Reaction score
The Ultimate Reality

Not to say that God's name is a name that is pronounced with created words. Rather His essence is The Holy Name of The Father. The pronounced words are as The Son, The Uncreated God taking the flesh of a created Word. That Incarnate Word giving witness to The Holy Name as the perfect image of God The Father.

I believe in The God of Truth. If the incarnation is not acknowledged, it becomes impossible to even speak of God. We have to accept that The Incarnate Word, being an image of the incomprehensible God, IS God. That is, the word "God" is what it means.

The name of Jesus is pronounced differently in all these different languages. This in itself is a witness against a certain idolatry. The Holy Name of God is not a name in the sense of a name being a particular sound. Rather, The Holy name is God's essence. The Ultimate Reality. The Supreme Being. The God of Truth.

That is how I, a humble layman understands these things.

Theophanius

Reaction score
Not a pronouncement of syllables, but an essence.

The Essence of God is The Holy Name.

That is how I understand it.
But I thought that when God told Moses, "No man can see My Face and live," He meant that no one can see the Essence of God. If that is the correct understanding, then Moses did not see God's Essence by making His Personal Name known to Him. And if that is so, then it seems we are still left with this issue of God's Personal Name being revealed for the First Time yet at the same time, being know to Eve and the Patriarchs before that. But if seeing God's back as He passed by Moses is a revelation of His Essence, then perhaps that is what is know by "I was not know by My name......" before Moses.

Thetruthisgod

Reaction score
But I thought that when God told Moses, "No man can see My Face and live," He meant that no one can see the Essence of God. If that is the correct understanding, then Moses did not see God's Essence by making His Personal Name known to Him. And if that is so, then it seems we are still left with this issue of God's Personal Name being revealed for the First Time yet at the same time, being know to Eve and the Patriarchs before that. But if seeing God's back as He passed by Moses is a revelation of His Essence, then perhaps that is what is know by "I was not know by My name......" before Moses.
God's essence is unknowable. Much as Jesus Christ is the most perfect image of The Father, so is the name that is pronounced an image of the name that is essence.

As it was pointed out before, before Moses was revealed the name, God was moreso defined in relational terms. What does the name God gave Moses tell us? That God is The Ultimate Reality. It gets translated in different ways, like "Eternally Existing One" and "I Am That I Am", but I think "Ultimate Reality" or even "Supreme Being" do the job. The effectively mean the same thing if understood properly.

What is God? Reality in the truest sense of the word.

Theophanius

Reaction score
God's essence is unknowable. Much as Jesus Christ is the most perfect image of The Father, so is the name that is pronounced an image of the name that is essence.

As it was pointed out before, before Moses was revealed the name, God was moreso defined in relational terms. What does the name God gave Moses tell us? That God is The Ultimate Reality. It gets translated in different ways, like "Eternally Existing One" and "I Am That I Am", but I think "Ultimate Reality" or even "Supreme Being" do the job. The effectively mean the same thing if understood properly.

What is God? Reality in the truest sense of the word.
So then, what does Exodus 6:3 mean when the Name was not know before Moses, but to Moses it is firstly known?

Thetruthisgod

Reaction score
So then, what does Exodus 6:3 mean when the Name was not know before Moses, but to Moses it is firstly known?

God was known by other names, but a name hitherto unrevealed was revealed to Moses. That is what it seems to say in the text.

And certainly, The All Sufficient God is a true name of God, and it is even fulfilled in the name that was revealed to Moses.

Theophanius

Reaction score
God was known by other names, but a name hitherto unrevealed was revealed to Moses. That is what it seems to say in the text.

And certainly, The All Sufficient God is a true name of God, and it is even fulfilled in the name that was revealed to Moses.
But Eve and the Patriarchs uttered His Personal Name before it was revealed to Moses

Theophanius

Reaction score
In Genesis 4:1 and Genesis 14:22, Moses records that Eve and Abraham uttered God's Persona Name. He also says in Exodus 6:3 that God's Personal Name was not revealed to Abraham, Isaac or Jacob. so meaning of knowing God's personal name must mean something other than the mere pronunciation of it. But I am not sure and that is what I am trying to find out from an Orthodox perspective but can not find any sayings of the Fathers on the matter.
If anyone does know if a the Fathers' saying on the matter, please post here. God bless you.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Had this link open so easy enough to post here...

Kitchen (Orientalist/Egyptologist /University of Liverpool) takes the view יְהוָֹה /Ex 6:3 is a rhetorical negative (@ Google Books) cf. p. 329 here and footnote 52 here. (Kitchen, K. A., OTROT, Eerdmans/Cambridge, 2003).

I don't know of any patristic discussion of it (sorry), and this is but one possibility among many I have seen discussed in e.g. standard commentaries, so for whatever it might be worth...

Last edited: