• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Did God Make Me?

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Obviously I believe God is the Creator, and that this goes beyond mere "making" things in the "past" (e.g. He "made the earth"). He is indeed sustaining all of creation every single moment.

But I have never believed that God "made" me. My parents did. And every human being was made by their parents. People often turn to the Psalmist, who said, "You have knit me together in my mother's womb" and self-apply the verse, which has always seemed odd to me (these same people often self-apply the verse in Joshua, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord..."). "God made me this way" they will say. Or, gazing at a child with Down Syndrome, will say, "God must have a plan because he made them that way."

I should say up front that I absolutely believe in evolution and that this in no way whatsoever denies God the role of Creator.

My question, then, is: am I way off on this, from an Orthodox perspective? Do we believe God actually and literally "makes" every person? What is actually meant by that, if so?

Heorot

Reaction score
Website
almepater.wordpress.com
One of the most firm Orthodox beliefs about Humanity and Creation is that we human beings are co-creators with God. There is a "synergia" between the action of God and the acts of man. This is most clearly shown in Genesis, when God creates all the animals and parades each one before Adam, that they may receive a name.

Our synergy with God is in the freedom of the human spirit. Although this has been corrupted by fallen disobedience and Death, we still remain co-creators by our very nature, as the image of God. I don't think it's right to say "God creates the wood and man creates the cradle from it", but more like "The Lord God Almighty creates the wood and creates and provides a cradle for your baby through the skilled carpenter's hands."

As for children: God created you and your parents created you. This is probably the deepest form of synergia known to us on Earth. Marriage and sexuality are the very images of synergia between God and Man throughout the Bible. Look up "wife", "spouse", "husband", etc., in the Old and New Testaments. God has wed Himself to Israel - and through Christ, the Perfect Israel, to all of us who are grafted onto Him.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite chapter in all of the Bible, and a personal prayer I use in my studies and my work is psalm 127, "unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain."  I try my best to carry that attitude with me.  Unless the Lord studies or heals or fix, I do these things in vain.

As for creation, we also say, "bless him all you sun and moon, and beasts of the earth, hail and snow, rain and thunder."  It is my belief all that creation does also is for the glory of God.  It is the dance of the freedom God gave creation and the reciprocal response of bringing God as the author of all things that you do and are done, and thus God blesses and does in you.  This is ultimately how the Bible is seen, written by the Holy Spirit, who the authors wrote without vanity.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
You were born of your parents who eventually come from a long line of ancestors

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I always thought it was a partnership between the parents and the LORD:  “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations
.” -- Jeremiah 1:5, NASB.

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Thoughtful posts all around, thank you for sharing.