• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Do any Protestants still post here?

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Do any Protestants still post here?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
David Young is a regular poster...Baptist clergy.

Some of us are former Protestants trying to live out the words of St. Paul to the Philippians "forgetting what lies behind...."

....and only occasionally succeeding.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
? . . . Haven't understood . . . Is leaving his mom's house in Spanish Trail of Granbury, Texas.

sestir

bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
There are very few "Protestants" left in North-Western Europe. That is a problem. I can imagine the North-Eastern Church, the South-Eastern Church and the South-Western Church trying to take that territory and all be rejected because they are not sufficiently North-Western, or because they did not know about, understand or accept the national divisions that are not supposed to exist in the countries of the region, which will lead to yet another lost century.

So, in my opinion, it would be better if we make people realize that they aren't "Christian" or "Protestants" and that they need to study, than to assume that their opinions, learned from TV and movies, would be real Protestantism and blame Martin Luther for not properly exercising his responsibility to reign in his social media tail, 500 years after his death.

For example, one of my neighbours is more sure than me that he is a Christian. He practices sola cerevisia but hasn't bothered to read a bible, since "it looks boring". A typical example.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
I like Martin Luther.

Attachments

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
primitivemethodism.com
Faith
Baptist
Jurisdiction
local church, Wrexham
I seem to have noticed that not many people post at all, of whatever church affiliation. Also I get the impression that some Orthodox who used to write long, penetrating, challenging arguments seem to have disappeared off the forum. Finally, in those discussions, now receding into the past, we probably covered more or less all the ground/topics/areas of disagreement that needed to be explored. I asked questions about Orthodoxy; we debated a whole range of topics (baptism, Eucharist, priesthood, conversion, salvation, church Tradition, scripture, and probably much else); and I tried to explain why I am (a) Evangelical and (b) Baptist - not to convert Orthodox to become Baptist, but to assist mutual understanding of why we believe what we do.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
David Young said:
I seem to have noticed that not many people post at all, of whatever church affiliation.
Actually Reverend I have no doubt you will be pleased to know that utilization is up over the prior month, and yesterday we set a new record in terms of pageviews.  More people read OCNet than ever before, and I expect members will also post more frequently in the days and weeks to come, yourself included.

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
primitivemethodism.com
Faith
Baptist
Jurisdiction
local church, Wrexham
Alpha60 said:
utilization is up … More people read OCNet than ever before,

I only meant that posts seem to have diminished on the Orth/Prot discussion section; but maybe I am mistaken, for it was only an impression, not an actual analysis. I have found it beneficial.

PrelestWatch

Post Moderated
Reaction score
I'm a non-denominational Protestant planning to join a local traditional Anglican church. My beliefs swing more in their direction, even began studying the 39 articles, Book of Common Prayer, and everything of that sort. Still, it has been interesting to learn about Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism.

I am not interested in getting into intense debates as they cause me anxiety, and I am suffering from mental health issues due to injuries sustained from these things in the past. Looking more to edify when given the chance, rather than debate.

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
Perhaps one more, as I'm presently inquiring into Confessional Lutheranism.

I’ve gained enough perspective to accept that my underlying aversion to Orthodoxy isn’t rooted in my experiences with my old priest (that certainly obliterated my respect for ROCOR and the Russian church, but is not the whole catalyst). I’ve been trying for five years but don’t accept or believe in too many core dogmas and tenets - confession or priestly absolution, the literal transformation of the Eucharist, the role of saints as intercessors, the Theotokos as intercessor, theosis, fasting, monasticism, the elitist and self-righteous nature of clergy and hierarchs, to name what immediately comes to mind.

I want a traditional, liturgical church. Catholicism, even traditionalist FSSP/SSPX/TLM Catholicism is out as it's essentially Orthodoxy with the added taint of Rome's host of late second millennium dogmatic inventions included. Anglicanism would be my preferred choice, but the global Communion has been utterly ruined by liberals and progressives and turned into a living meme. Unfortunately the same seems to hold true for the Lutheran Church - in its “Evangelical” stream - but the LCMS (LCC here in Canada) has ideally preserved the core Lutheran Confession without modernist poison.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Well I disagree that Roman Catholicism is essentially Orthodoxy, or that clergy are inherently self-righteous.

But don't Lutherans also believe in the Real Presence?  I'm pretty sure the WELS does.  I may be misremembering something, though.

At any rate, Lord, have mercy on your servant. 

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
Ainnir said:
Well I disagree that Roman Catholicism is essentially Orthodoxy, or that clergy are inherently self-righteous.

But don't Lutherans also believe in the Real Presence?  I'm pretty sure the WELS does.  I may be misremembering something, though.

The real presence, but not literal transformation.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Saxon said:
Ainnir said:

Honestly, I don’t see how there can be a distinction.  How else can He really be present if not truly and literally?  I came from the SBC, though, so there’s not much in-between for me.  ;D

tqw1171

Reaction score
Faith
Miaphysite
Jurisdiction
None for the moment
I'm a Protestant who sympathizes with both Anabaptism and Oriental Orthodoxy, particularly the Ethiopian Church hence my avatar, I no longer post or read here as much as I used to, but I have still not forgotten about it!

Regardless of the topic of religion, something that I love about OC.net is that it is one of the last forums from the early 2000s internet that are still active, as the monopoly of social media has rendered the old message board system almost obsolete, last year lots of old forums and websites shut down, the one that I used the most was an obscure music forum from 2006 that closed abruptly last October, and all of its discussions and rare band photos posted on it over 13 years are now gone, it makes me really sad to lose internet history and rare stuff in general.

If websites are going to shut down then the webmasters should at least archive all discussions stored on it, and then post the contents on services such as Archive.org for people to be able to read it in the future, it feels almost unreal to still be able to comment on threads made in 2002 here.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
OC.net transcends time.  :laugh:

David Young

Archon
Reaction score
Website
primitivemethodism.com
Faith
Baptist
Jurisdiction
local church, Wrexham
Nicodemusz138 said:
I'm a Protestant ... OC.net is that it is one of the last forums from the early 2000s internet that are still active, as the monopoly of social media has rendered the old message board system almost obsolete,
I post on a wine-making forum and a bread-making forum (œnopœia and artopœia) and get real advice and help from them. I didn't know that other fora were closing down, but I hope OC.net doesn't, as I occasionally have questions I'd like to ask - though since it was 'upgraded' long ago I can no longer upload photos from my computer, e.g. to illustrate an icon I am asking about. Sad that upgrades often make things more complicated and less user-friendly. But don't feel too bad - the British Primitive Methodist website has become harder to use since its upgrade.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Ainnir said:
Saxon said:
Honestly, I don’t see how there can be a distinction.  How else can He really be present if not truly and literally?  I came from the SBC, though, so there’s not much in-between for me.  ;D
Luther taught sacramental union: the body and blood of Christ become present in the bread and wine, but the bread and wine continue to exist. In contrast the Roman Catholic view where the bread and wine are transubstantiated into Christ, but retain the accidents of bread and wine.

I'll admit to not understanding the significance of these distinctions.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Ecumenical Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
Some Orthodox prayers before the Holy Communion of the Body and Blood of Christ that could clarify Orthodox Belief for Protestants:

"I believe, O Lord, and I confess that Thou art truly the Christ, the Son of the Living God, Who camest into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first. I believe also that this is truly Thine own pure Body, and that this is truly Thine own precious Blood. Therefore I pray Thee: have mercy upon me and forgive my transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, of word and of deed, of knowledge and of ignorance. And make me worthy to partake without condemnation of Thy most pure Mysteries, for the remission of my sins, and unto life everlasting ... May the communion of Thy Holy Mysteries be neither to my judgment, nor to my condemnation, O Lord, but to the healing of soul and body. Amen. Amen." https://www.oca.org/orthodoxy/prayers/before-and-after-holy-communion

"I thank Thee, O Lord my God, that Thou hast not rejected me, a sinner, but hast granted me to be a communicant of Thy holy Things. I thank Thee that Thou hast granted me, unworthy as I am, to partake of Thy pure and heavenly Gifts. But, O Lord, Lover of men, Who didst die for us and rise again and bestow upon us these Thy dread and life-giving Mysteries for the well being and sanctification of our souls and bodies, grant that these may be even to me for the healing of my soul and body, for the averting of everything hostile, for the enlightenment of the eyes of my heart, for the peace of the powers of my soul, for unashamed faith, for sincere love, for the fullness of wisdom, for the keeping of Thy commandments, for an increase of Thy divine grace, and for familiarity with Thy Kingdom; that being kept by Them in Thy holiness I may ever remember Thy grace, and never live for myself but for Thee our Lord and Benefactor. And so when I have passed from existence here in the hope of eternal life, may I attain to everlasting rest, where the song is unceasing of those who keep festival and the joy is boundless of those who behold the ineffable beauty of Thy face. For Thou art the true desire and the unutterable gladness of those who love Thee, O Christ our God, and all creation sings of Thee throughout the ages ...

Prayer of St. Basil the Great
Lord Christ our God, King of the ages and Creator of all, I thank Thee for all the blessings Thou hast granted me and for the communion of Thy pure and life-giving Mysteries. I pray Thee, therefore, good Lord and Lover of men, guard me under Thy protection and within the shadow of Thy wings; and grant me with a clear conscience till my last breath worthily to partake of Thy holy Things for forgiveness of sins and for life eternal. For Thou art the Bread of Life, the Source of Holiness, the Giver of all that is good, and to Thee we send up the glory, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen." https://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Communion_Prayers.html

Troparia: "May Thy holy Body be for me the Bread of life eternal, O Compassionate Lord, and may Thy precious Blood also the healing for my many forms of illness. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Defiled by unseemly deeds, I the wretched one am unworthy, O Christ, of the communion of Thy most pure Body and divine Blood, which do Thou vouchsafe me. Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen." https://www.orthodox.net/services/order-of-preparation-for-holy-communion.pdf