• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Do Ethiopians continue to follow Jewish laws?

Reaction score
I have heard that the Ethiopians continue to follow the dietary laws of Leviticus and other laws such as those regarding circumcision and menstruation. Why do they continue to do this? Could you provide a more detailed outline as well?

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Yes, the Ethiopians have more Jewish elements, like their longer canon of scripture, prohibition of pork, and significance given to Saturday. They also, in their tradition, believe to posses the actual Ark of the Covenant in our Lady of Zion Church in Axum. However, theologically, they are identical to the rest of the Oriental Orthodox communion.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, the significance of Saturday is very high also in EO.

Faith Romancer

BANNED
Reaction score
I saw this on the TV show "90 Day Fiance" where someone from the USA marries a foreigner. There was a discussion the American woman had with her Ethiopian spouse about infant baptism, and some of the women in that country she talked to explained that in the Ethiopian Orthodox church, an infant must be baptised or they will go to hell, which, according to my understanding, is not proper EO teaching. That's more of a folk error on the part of nominally religious people.

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
I saw this on the TV show "90 Day Fiance" where someone from the USA marries a foreigner. There was a discussion the American woman had with her Ethiopian spouse about infant baptism, and some of the women in that country she talked to explained that in the Ethiopian Orthodox church, an infant must be baptised or they will go to hell, which, according to my understanding, is not proper EO teaching. That's more of a folk error on the part of nominally religious people.
That’s not OO teaching either. It’s a folk error.

YA2921

Reaction score
Yes we do here are the most obviously seen and practiced Jewish customs in the EOTC.

1 We have Ark Processions year-round
2. We abstain from all unclean food (Halal, pork, shrimp, crab, etc)
3. We do no enter church if we are unclean (men and women)
4. We wear all white shawls (Netelas) as a symbol of Christ’s Resurrection and spiritual purity
5. We have a shoeless entry (not just during communion)
6. We use Old Testament instruments and abstain from any modern instruments (piano, guitar, etc)
7. We have 81 books in the Bible (Coptics have 74)
8. We go of Halachic Jewish Time (Fasting entry and exits are based of our sun and star movements (Twilight) and our hours are reversed (12=6, 9=3)
9. We observe Friday evening and Saturday as the Sabbath (in addition to Sunday)
10. Women after giving birth have to wait 40 days or 80 days to enter church. ( Lev 12)

Ariend

Reaction score
10. Women after giving birth have to wait 40 days or 80 days to enter church. ( Lev 12)
This might be a common EO practice; in my Antiochian parish, women who give birth have to wait 40 days after giving birth to attend a church service.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
40 for a boy, 80 for a girl. Not sure why. 🤷‍♀️

YA2921

Reaction score
Where does the 80 days come from?
Following their creation, it’s the date they entered Eden (Paradise).

“And after Adam had completed forty days in the land where he had been created, we brought him into the Garden of Eden to till and keep it, but his wife they brought in on the eightieth day, and after this she entered into the Garden of Eden”
Jubilees 3:9

YA2921

Reaction score
A second reason for the 80 days has to do with multiplying the mothers and the daughters timeline of purification when taking a look at Leviticus 12.
7 + 33 for the mother 40
7+ 33 for the daughter 40
= 80

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the Jubilees passage better.