• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Do female choir members wear head coverings?

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Just wondering, cos we don't have female choir members in OOy.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Of the woman covers her head in church, she will also cover up in the choir loft. If she doesn't cover her head, then she won't cover up in the choir loft. :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
qawe said:
Just wondering, cos we don't have female choir members in OOy.
Maybe the Copts don't.  :p

As for the rest of us, yes, if there are women in the choir, they will usually have some sort of head covering.  The Syrians may be a bit "liberal" on this, but it is certainly the case among Indians and Armenians.   

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
An example of female choir members in an Armenian church can be seen in the video posted here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg284843/topicseen.html#msg284843

I've never seen female choir members not cover their heads.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Yes they do, in traditional orthodox churches.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
From what I've seen, being in the choir has no impact on headcoverings. If a woman wears one in church, she will wear one in the choir. If she doesn't, then she won't in the choir either.

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
At the Church I attend all women cover their heads.  I think it's a standard practice among Russian Churches, although I could be wrong.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
From what I've seen, being in the choir has no impact on headcoverings. If a woman wears one in church, she will wear one in the choir. If she doesn't, then she won't in the choir either.
This. Precisely this, as Liza also said.

Ferd Berfel

Reaction score
Some of the women in the church I attend wear the head coverings. Of those, the ones that are in the choir also wear the covering while singing. My priest's wife does not wear a head covering, and she is the leader of the choir. She also does not wear the covering while singing.

It will vary from parish to parish and person to person.