• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Do Muslims worship the same God as do Jews and Trinitarian Christians?

Do Muslims worship the same God as do Jews and Trinitarian Christians?

• No.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • No. Although they worship the same God as do the Jews, they are not Trinitarian.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Don't know. God knows.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Possibly. It is a mystery beyond my pay check.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Yes, they do worship the same God. We are all God's children.

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Godspell said:
Maria said:
Nicene said:
The thing is I don't see the jews as worshipping the true God.
I agree with you.

Although Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and the Old Testaments saints did worship God as they knew Him, the Genesis Account of Creation does give a glimpse that God is a Triune God. Plus the visitation of the three angels representing God to Abraham at the Oaks gives another indication that God is Triune. When Christ came and preached to the captives in Hades, they were given the opportunity to accept or reject Him, were they not?

The Jews who rejected Christ also rejected the Father.

Muslims who reject Christ as God, reject the Father too.
I've wondered, when God visited Abraham, was that the Father incarnate? Or something else?
Interesting question.

Only God the Son assumed human nature and became man.

However, God the Father spoke in a loud voice, and the Holy Spirit appeared in the form of a dove when Christ was baptized by St. John the Forerunner in the Jordan. Does this mean that the Father is only a booming voice or that the Holy Spirit is a bird? No.

In Exodus, God has also appeared as a Pillar of Fire to guard the Hebrew people during the night and a Pillar of Smoke during the day. He also appeared as the light-giving Rock out of which living water flowed.

Do we worship loud voices, doves, fire, smoke, and rocks?  No.

Godspell

Reaction score
Maria said:
username! said:
Tributaries Christians are Orthodox. Catholics protestants etc.. have different Cristologies. It can be derived that they aren't even worshipping the same God as we do..
Yes, how can they be worshiping the same God as we do, especially if these "Christians" deny that Christ is God or preach that there was a time when Christ was not God?

On the one hand, wasn't St. Constantine baptized by an Arian Bishop?

If some one is of good will, and has been misled by an Arian heretic, is it their fault? I would hope that Christ would grant them mercy when they died and approached the pearly gates.

On the other hand, it would be wrong of us to ignore that heresies do exist, not attempt to pray for these heretics, and keep silent so that they might persevere in their heresies. We are to instruct the ignorant.

The Arian heresy has resurfaced and is alive and well in Protestant denominations. I have even read some Roman Catholic writings that were tainted with Neo-Arianism. Before I became Orthodox, I attended a text and video-based bible study at a Protestant church which taught that Christ became God at His Baptism when the Holy Spirit overshadowed Him. When I heard that heretical statement, I left that group never to return. Even though I did alert the leader of the group about this insidious heresy, he refused to listen. I also told several women who had invited me to that group why I had left it. They too refused to listen.
No mainline Protestant denomination believes that. The only group that I know of that holds the belief that Jesus ascended as God at His baptism is Seventh Day Adventists. Unitarians, Christadelphians, and cultish traditions also deny the trinity and are virtually universally denounced by Anglicans, Baptists, Methodists, Pentecostals, etc.

Oneness Pentecostals have an unorthodox understanding of the Trinity, but it is for the most part in line with idea of one substance.

That being said, while I know of no major tradition that denies the trinity, most do not have a good understanding of it because they are without the Nicene-Constantinople and Chalcedonian Definitions.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Godspell said:
Maria said:
Nicene said:
The thing is I don't see the jews as worshipping the true God.
I agree with you.

Although Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and the Old Testaments saints did worship God as they knew Him, the Genesis Account of Creation does give a glimpse that God is a Triune God. Plus the visitation of the three angels representing God to Abraham at the Oaks gives another indication that God is Triune. When Christ came and preached to the captives in Hades, they were given the opportunity to accept or reject Him, were they not?

The Jews who rejected Christ also rejected the Father.

Muslims who reject Christ as God, reject the Father too.
I've wondered, when God visited Abraham, was that the Father incarnate? Or something else?
The three mysterious men who visited Abraham and Sarah at the Oak of Mamre were a manifestation of God, not an incarnation of God.

Reaction score
How much hubris must one have to assume that because another person prays differently than you, that God doesn't hear their prayers, or that they are praying to a different God?

Honestly. Worry about your own prayer life and less about who is praying to what and how.

When the world starts doing this, there will be less bloodshed in the world.

The older I get, the more I understand John Lennon's "Imagine."

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
username! said:
Tributaries Christians are Orthodox. Catholics protestants etc.. have different Cristologies. It can be derived that they aren't even worshipping the same God as we do..
Why do people here make such absurd statements? It's easy enough to pick up the current Book of Common Prayer of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America and see that it has not only the three creeds but the statement of the nature of Christ from the Second Council at Chalcedon printed in it!

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
Keble said:
username! said:

Why do people here make such absurd statements? It's easy enough to pick up the current Book of Common Prayer of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America and see that it has not only the three creeds but the statement of the nature of Christ from the Second Council at Chalcedon printed in it!
So why do protestants come on an orthodox forum and get upset at orthodoxy 101 seminary material?

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Bulgarian/GOA
username! said:
This is what I have been trying to say for years. I no longer worry about those who claim to follow Christ outside of the Church. The only Christians I know of are those who confess Christ and worship him in Orthodox manner.

Yes, Biro, I'm sure that's "close-minded" to you of whatever.

In Christ,
Andrew

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
username! said:
Keble said:
username! said:

So why do protestants come on an orthodox forum and get upset at orthodoxy 101 seminary material?
I would really like to believe that actual seminaries do not teach these lies, but if they do, well, it's a very sad comment on the quality of those that do. And that is EXACTLY why this Protestant came to this forum in the first place: to tell the truth about what we believe, as opposed to the misinformation spread about by the likes of you.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
I think the question would be better suited if asked differently. Maybe this way. Why do Christians have a different God and or view than the other 2 abrahamic faiths? Cause the other 2 seam to agree that in no way possible for God to ever be or become man. Now two peoples who can't even stand each other are in agreement and proclaim this. Should make one wonder what is in their writing to come to this strong point. So to answer your question no you don't have the same God as the Muslim or the Jew . You may use same names or words of us two but really have a different meaning behind them .

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Godspell said:
Cyrus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-82PT90T28

no, they worship the preAbramic moon god Allah...
Islam is based in the judeo-christian tradition, it is not pagan.
It is based on three sources: Judaism, Christianity, and actual deeds of the Prophet and his followers, whether or not they flowed from the first three sources. I would say that it is as divinely inspired as Mormonism.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Keble said:
Nicene said:
If Muslims deny that Christ is God and if Christ is united to the father in essence, thus making him "true God of true God," it seems to me impossible that the Muslim who confesses what Islam actually teaches (Jesus is not God) is worshipping the true God. We cannot divide God so why should we allow the Muslim to divide God by saying they only worship the father? Even then the Muslims don't call God father.
Well, obviously they don't divide God, because God is after all indivisible in that sense. That's where this discussion keeps leading us in the direction of a kind of intellectual idolatry, because people keep talking as if other people worshipped an idea of God, and not God Himself. God is not a set of propositions, so there's something wrong with saying that people worship something else because their set of propositions is incorrect. Indeed, the incomprehensibility of God implies that each of us has some internalized defect in the way we view Him, and that therefore each of us is not worshipping the true God.

The same goes with the Jew who rejects Christ.
This requires even more bizarre mental contortions. What, the LORD suddenly is someone else?

There is far too much interest here in finding a reason to answer "no" to the question than in coming up with something that holds together rationally.
Keble--Your response makes sense only if it is coming from an athest or agnostic. You are not one of those are you?

Nicene

High Elder
Reaction score
jewish voice said:
I think the question would be better suited if asked differently. Maybe this way. Why do Christians have a different God and or view than the other 2 abrahamic faiths? Cause the other 2 seam to agree that in no way possible for God to ever be or become man. Now two peoples who can't even stand each other are in agreement and proclaim this. Should make one wonder what is in their writing to come to this strong point. So to answer your question no you don't have the same God as the Muslim or the Jew . You may use same names or words of us two but really have a different meaning behind them .
This deserves a thread in of itself. But I agree our God is different, our God had sympathy for our condition and wanted and will bring it into perfection. He chose to do this by his son, who is God and became and degrade himself in the eyes of Jews, pagans, Muslims, atheists, deists and Arians. We do in this I suppose set ourselves against the world which says "God does not love us this much to do this thing."

Of course we maintain that the divinity remains in tact even in the incarantion and that God remains God forever, the same yesterday today and forever.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
jewish voice said:
Christianity was never about being a popularity contest to agree with other faiths.  We recognize in the other faiths some truths.  Islam believes there should be no other God to worship; God sent his prophets to give rules and morals on how to live.  Judaism believes that God can actually dwell in man, and they're waiting for the salvation of the Messiah, who will give them an earthly kingdom, established with Israel as the center.

Christianity believes the Messiah already came.  Christianity believes that this kingdom established is not of this world, but in the Kingdom of Heaven above.  It's not about mere rules or earthly kingdoms, but about spiritual salvation and divine life.  If a Messiah can offer eternal life, He is the eternal God.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
jewish voice said:
Do Jews and Muslims have the same God as each other? From my anecdotal experience, the latter seem to think so but the former don't. Btw, you typed "God"--I thought that was blasphemous, hence the "G-d" that so many Jewish websites type His name as.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
username! said:
Catholics protestants etc.. have different Cristologies.
This is a point that I think deserves more attention.

I think that many ecumenists and pro pan-Christian fellows overlook the different Christologies that some Protestant sects have. I can't speak for the Roman Catholic Church, but in my anecdotal experience in the Protestant world, it's a Christological free-for-all.

Many Protestants--at least of the Evangelical and non-denominational variety--lack a clear Christology. Some of them merely view Christ as "God/the Father in human form" and thus deprive Him of His identity as the Second Person of the Trinity, which leads to many theological errors that Muslims are more than happy to capitalize on (i.e., who was He praying to?) Others believe that He was merely the "Son of God"--a title which many of them aren't sure how to define--and thus not really God, and others are simply clueless and lack any form of Christology.

About the only thing that Protestant-dom agrees on (excluding the Restorationist weird-y polytheistic sects) is that Christ--whoever and whatever He was--died on the Cross to satisfy a grudge. There is no objectivity beyond this in the Protestant world and this is unfortunately about as deep as many Protestants view Christ. There is no God-man or Christ--just a scapegoat who somehow "saved us."

The question is, what are the implications of this lack of Christological clarity in Protestantism and how does it relate to the question of whether or not we share the same God? Anyone? I'm personally uncertain at this point.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
JamesR said:
jewish voice said:
Do Jews and Muslims have the same God as each other? From my anecdotal experience, the latter seem to think so but the former don't. Btw, you typed "God"--I thought that was blasphemous, hence the "G-d" that so many Jewish websites type His name as.
you are correct Jews don't spell out G-d  but in case you didn't know James from my faith search I well become Muslim as I was having problems with judaism that's only for me to know of what. 2 Jews and Muslims don't fight over the oneness of God other things yes such as land etc

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
JamesR said:
The question is, what are the implications of this lack of Christological clarity in Protestantism and how does it relate to the question of whether or not we share the same God? Anyone? I'm personally uncertain at this point.
Well, it depends on the Protestant you're talking to.  Some hold to a more-or-less accurate Orthodox view, and others have erred in serious ways.  Pentecostals for instance have taken a Sabellian view, and so one can say, yes, that group is not worshipping the same God.

But there is a relative understanding.  That is if you were to do a percentage of how much you agree with another on worship, Protestants at least would rank closer than non-Muslims.  Don't forget that in the ancient church, we received one another by a statement of faith, whether you belonged to Chalcedonian, anti-Chalcedonian, or Nestorian factions.  There seems to be a recognition of sorts that the sacrament done can be blessed by an Orthodox bishop and completed.  So there is the relative question.

That's why I can't blame the Catholic Catechism for what it says.  I don't like it, but I understand the underlying semantics of it.  I personally would take a more strict approach, because more simple minds can misunderstand the semantics of saying "yes, we worship the same God."  We live in a pluralistic society that also desires a pluralistic theology.  It needs to be made clear the exclusivism of Christianity among religions and the exclusivism of the Church among the world of Christianity.

Reaction score
I remember Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick started off his Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy podcast by saying that his parishioners knew him, but suppose they came to believe that he was a registered sex offender. They would still know him to an extent, but because of their false beliefs they would have a false impression of him.

This is what heterodox beliefs are like. When Orthodox truth is found in other faiths, to that extent they worship the same God as the Church; yet false beliefs give them a false impression. Since our God is Truth and Love, He wants us to know Him in the full Truth that He has revealed to us, not any false impressions of Him.

So in that sense, the answer is yes and no. But I'm just a seeker, so I could be wrong.

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
therovingmethodist said:
I remember Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick started off his Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy podcast by saying that his parishioners knew him, but suppose they came to believe that he was a registered sex offender. They would still know him to an extent, but because of their false beliefs they would have a false impression of him.

This is what heterodox beliefs are like. When Orthodox truth is found in other faiths, to that extent they worship the same God as the Church; yet false beliefs give them a false impression. Since our God is Truth and Love, He wants us to know Him in the full Truth that He has revealed to us, not any false impressions of Him.

So in that sense, the answer is yes and no. But I'm just a seeker, so I could be wrong.
I think you are correct here.  There are two types of knowing someone; one that is either 'yes' or 'no', and the other which varies by degrees.  Also, we tend to frame our answer to the original question in theological terms.  How much of a question was theology when it came to the sheep and the goats? Is it possible that someone could have inaccurate theology yet still have a relationship with God?

Also, if it is a question about theology, then it would have to apply also to individuals as well as groups.  Perhaps there are Orthodox who have inaccurate christology.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
john_mo said:
Perhaps there are Orthodox who have inaccurate christology.
Only if they, as individuals, have been poorly catechized.  :p

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:
Christianity was never about being a popularity contest to agree with other faiths.  We recognize in the other faiths some truths.  Islam believes there should be no other God to worship; God sent his prophets to give rules and morals on how to live.  Judaism believes that God can actually dwell in man, and they're waiting for the salvation of the Messiah, who will give them an earthly kingdom, established with Israel as the center.

Christianity believes the Messiah already came.  Christianity believes that this kingdom established is not of this world, but in the Kingdom of Heaven above.  It's not about mere rules or earthly kingdoms, but about spiritual salvation and divine life.  If a Messiah can offer eternal life, He is the eternal God.
just to correct your post Jews don't believe God can dwell with in man. And you give a good example of using words with different meaning behind them. Messiah to a Jew doesn't mean the same as to you as a Christian would use it.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
jewish voice said:
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:

just to correct your post Jews don't believe God can dwell with in man. And you give a good example of using words with different meaning behind them. Messiah to a Jew doesn't mean the same as to you as a Christian would use it.
What is the Jewish dogma on the Shekinah then?

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:

Judaism has no dogma so I can't tell you dogma I can give examples of different thought. But no dogma

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I just want to comment on the last option on the poll, Muslims don't believe God has children, so...

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
jewish voice said:
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:

Judaism has no dogma so I can't tell you dogma I can give examples of different thought. But no dogma
What does dogma mean to you (and/or to Jews)?

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:
minasoliman said:
jewish voice said:

What does dogma mean to you (and/or to Jews)?
dogma in religion would be like the christian creed which one must believe it all to be called a Christian. Jews don't have such a thing heck I don't even have to think there is a God and still be in judaism might not of know that  :p

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
We are getting of topic of this thread so no Jews and Muslims have same God Christians don't they have a different God

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
jewish voice said:
We are getting of topic of this thread so no Jews and Muslims have same God Christians don't they have a different God
Do you believe that Jews and Muslims have the same God?

Obviously you believe that Christians worship a different God.

However, why do the Muslims call Jews and Christians, the "people of the Book."
Muslims and Jews share the same Biblical history, don't they?

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Maria said:
jewish voice said:

yes you are people of the book but once you say God has a son and pray to him that's where we split ways. So Jesus is not my God only Allah is God  Jesus is the messiah to come again but not God

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
jewish voice said:
I'm not getting off topic.  Believe me, my questions have a lot to do with your assertion:

jewish voice said:
Jews and Muslims have same God
So keeping with this topic, do Muslims have dogma?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Most Muslims do (but some worship Muhammad, Ali or a descendant of theirs), but Muslim theology does not.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
ialmisry said:
Most Muslims do (but some worship Muhammad, Ali or a descendant of theirs), but Muslim theology does not.
thanks your right

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
jewish voice said:
Maria said:
jewish voice said:

yes you are people of the book but once you say God has a son and pray to him that's where we split ways. So Jesus is not my God only Allah is God  Jesus is the messiah to come again but not God
Oh man, where's Theophilos78 when you need him?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
jewish voice said:
Maria said:
jewish voice said:

We split ways? We were not together to start with, because we have been confessing Christ as God come in the flesh centuries before your Prophet came along.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
ialmisry said:
jewish voice said:
Maria said:
jewish voice said:

yes you are people of the book but once you say God has a son and pray to him that's where we split ways. So Jesus is not my God only Allah is God  Jesus is the messiah to come again but not God
We split ways? We were not together to start with, because we have been confessing Christ as God come in the flesh centuries before your Prophet came along.
my point  you just made see your own words

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
Godspell said:
Cyrus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-82PT90T28

no, they worship the preAbramic moon god Allah...
Islam is based in the judeo-christian tradition, it is not pagan.
It is based on three sources: Judaism, Christianity, and actual deeds of the Prophet and his followers, whether or not they flowed from the first three sources. I would say that it is as divinely inspired as Mormonism.
Actually, Islam mirrors Mormonism in many ways.

Funny you would say that.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
.  Taylor Marshall tackles a dilemma in the Roman Catholic Church, which seems to say that Christian, Jews, and Muslims worship the same God as did Abraham.
Well I guess in the sense that Abraham was a monotheist, I guess you could say that.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church seems to teach that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all worship the same God.
Well it states that Christians and Muslims acknowledge the Creator, adore the same merciful God and will be judged by Him on the last day.

I could agree with that.

But I don't know whom the Jews worship.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
jewish voice said:
ialmisry said:
thanks your right
Great!  So Islam is dogmatic in nature but Judaism is not.  In other words, a Jew can believe in pantheism for all he cares?  How does that bode well with your assertion that you worship the same God as Jews?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
And just to enlighten people here on Jewish understanding of the Shekinah, here's the Jewish Encyclopedia description of it:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13537-shekinah

Dr. George Bebawi used to be a Jew.  He was an Egyptian Jew who converted into Orthodox Christianity.  He pretty much mentioned that Judaism does believe in an indwelling God.

Also check this memoir of discussion Fr. John Romanides had with world prominent Jews:

http://www.romanity.org/htm/rom.24.en.jewish_and_christian_orthodox_dialogue.htm