• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Do western rite churches use psalm 151?

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I know that Psalm 151 is used within the Orthodox church but not the Catholic or Protestant churches. does the western rite church use it in daily worship and personal prayer?

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Orthodox_Slav said:
I know that Psalm 151 is used within the Orthodox church but not the Catholic or Protestant churches. does the western rite church use it in daily worship and personal prayer?
I don’t believe anyone uses it liturgically.  It is I believe in most Catholic Psalters translated from St. Jerome’s initial translation of the LXX Psalter (which has the same versification and thus one can use the Douay Rheims in Byzantine Rite services, but not a KJV, which is translated from the Masoretic Psalter, and St. Jerome himself later made a translation from a Hebraic psalter, but it was not historically in standard use). 

Fun fact: there are, I believe in Syriac, Psalms 152-155, which I have read and found edifying, although they are highly apocryphal and like Psalm 151 do somewhat restate that which was said earlier, a bit evocative of the spurious Epistle to the Laodiceans.

Alas the Odes of Solomon, which he rather likely had nothing to do with, but rather form early Christian hymnody, are contaminated with Gnostic content, with several being utterly unusable by the Orthodox Christian.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Orthodox_Slav said:
ok thanks but is  it used in personal prayer though
Indeed, my Jordanville Psalter has it.  “A Psalter for Prayer,” which is based on standard Russian Orthodox psalters.  Also the Orthodox Study Bible has a weak translation of it.

However, to my knowledge, no one uses Psalm 151 in the actual liturgy.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpha60 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
Indeed, my Jordanville Psalter has it.  “A Psalter for Prayer,” which is based on standard Russian Orthodox psalters.  Also the Orthodox Study Bible has a weak translation of it.

It's chanted by Copts once a year, on Great Saturday: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/230
Both my (EO) Church Slavonic and Arabic psalters don't have this psalm, unfortunately.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Since Psalm 151 is not considered canonical by the Catholic Church, it is not found in Catholic bibles, at least in contemporary ones.

brlon

Reaction score
The Slavonic text may be found on-line at http://www.st-sergius.org/services/Psalter/01.pdf (page 144) or at
http://www.orthlib.info/Sledovannaja_Psaltir/01ps.pdf (page 192).

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:

It's chanted by Copts once a year, on Great Saturday: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/230
Both my (EO) Church Slavonic and Arabic psalters don't have this psalm, unfortunately.
Oh that’s awesome.  I have a book containing the Paschal services of the Coptic church, but I’ve never done them (I also have the Coptic Reader app which has all the texts).  I love the Prayer of St. Athanasius and the reading of Revelations on Holy Saturday.  I had not noticed that they also use Psalm 151 on that day, but the fact they do is awesome.  I wish we had Antonious Nikolaus around to tell us whether or not the Ethiopian church does this also (its a possibility, given that some of their rites closely follow the Coptic ones, but other facets of their liturgy are more Antiochene than Alexandrian in influence, and still others are uniquely Ethiopic).  I miss him, he did ask me to pray for him.  :(

So by the way, since you speak English, if you have an iPad or another device that supports Kindle, you can get the beautiful Jordanville Psalter in a volume entitled A Psalter for Prayer, which does have Psalm 151, in addition to the Orthodox version of the Athanasian Creed, among other goodies, for like, $10.  Then there is the Psalter According to King David, which you can download for free I think; I did, as a PDF; it is the KJV Psalter corrected against the Septuagint and has 151. 

Also, the Dynamic Psalter, which uses the Psalter According to the Seventy, a literal translation from the LXX by Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston (HOCNA, formerly run by Elder Panteleimon, before he retired due to the sex scandal), has Psalm 151: http://orthodox.seasidehosting.st

By the way, I was surprised to find Psalm 151 lacking from the Douay Rheims, which otherwise lines up with our LXX Psalter.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The much loved Jordanville Psalter, available through Amazon Kindle in the book A Psalter for Prayer, for $10, I should note, is the Coverdale Psalter, used in the Anglican BCP, corrected against the LXX.