• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Do you recognize yourself in these computer generated faces?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
16,342
Reaction score
144
Points
63
Location
Detroit
Website
uocofusa.org
That's just mean.

Poking fun at that unfortunate woman.  Who knows what she's been through in life.

We can't all be physically beautiful.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently. 
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,889
Reaction score
720
Points
113
Age
160
Location
Wandering Fool
So what does that have to do with why you posted it here on OCnet?
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
How This Woman Treated A Veteran In A Wheelchair At Walmart Is Taking The Internet By Storm…
HJIC November 15, 2015 Featured, Solutions No Comments

VIA| When a 21-year-old woman saw a wheelchair-bound veteran outside of Walmart in West Virginia, she offered to help the disabled vet with his grocery shopping.

While Morgan Wheeler was driving out of the store’s parking lot, the man crossed her path. He waved apologetically at her because he was taking a long time to cross.

But then she did something unexpected. Instead of getting frustrated, she stopped and help him shop.

The young woman who works at a veterinary hospital went out of her way to help the disabled veteran get his weekly groceries.

...
http://viralpatriot.com/how-this-woman-treated-a-veteran-in-a-wheelchair-at-walmart-is-taking-the-internet-by-storm/
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
hecma925 said:
So what does that have to do with why you posted it here on OCnet?
The link below is what I had read previously on facebook. It took me a while to find it again.

CAUTION: These posts are so demeaning and unchristian. Read at your own risk.
https://www.facebook.com/police.thinblueline/photos/a.10150579726937372.406782.100391647371/10153869458877372/?type=3&theater

And yes, because of it, I am seriously thinking of deleting my Facebook account permanently.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,585
Reaction score
331
Points
83
Frankly I find it confusing. To use the saying my grandmother used to use, people seem ready to cut off their nose to spite their face. Considering what the rest of the internet is like, is anyone really gaining anything by leaving that particular place?
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,889
Reaction score
720
Points
113
Age
160
Location
Wandering Fool
The link below is what I had read previously on the internet.  It took me a while to find it again.

CAUTION: This website is so demeaning and unchristian.  Read at your own risk.
www.americannaziparty.com

And yes, because of it, I am seriously thinking of deleting my internet access permanently.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Asteriktos said:
Frankly I find it confusing. To use the saying my grandmother used to use, people seem ready to cut off their nose to spite their face. Considering what the rest of the internet is like, is anyone really gaining anything by leaving that particular place?
Facebook seems to be running downhill very fast.

In fact, the entire Internet is going into the toilet.

Almost all the Orthodox priests (New Calendar and Old Calendar) whom I know have been dropping Facebook and encouraging their parishioners to do so, especially during Lenten times. They still use email and do some searches, but that is about it.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
LizaSymonenko said:
That's just mean.

Poking fun at that unfortunate woman.  Who knows what she's been through in life.

We can't all be physically beautiful.
I agree. Thanks for sharing this Liza.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Asteriktos said:
Frankly I find it confusing. To use the saying my grandmother used to use, people seem ready to cut off their nose to spite their face. Considering what the rest of the internet is like, is anyone really gaining anything by leaving that particular place?
Yes, by leaving Facebook, I will have more peace of mind, less temptations, and more time to pray.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Maria said:
Asteriktos said:
Frankly I find it confusing. To use the saying my grandmother used to use, people seem ready to cut off their nose to spite their face. Considering what the rest of the internet is like, is anyone really gaining anything by leaving that particular place?
Yes, by leaving Facebook, I will have more peace of mind, less temptations, and more time to pray.
Delete your account already.
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,889
Reaction score
720
Points
113
Age
160
Location
Wandering Fool
Let me first announce how terrible Facebook is and all the horrible things on there.  Then I will also tell you about all the good that will happen once I think about leaving Facebook, a free service no one ever compelled me to use.

 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,472
Reaction score
246
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
People who don't like what comes up on their Facebook feeds will do well to pick their friends more carefully. ::)
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Maria said:
hecma925 said:
So what does that have to do with why you posted it here on OCnet?
The link below is what I had read previously on facebook. It took me a while to find it again.

CAUTION: These posts are so demeaning and unchristian. Read at your own risk.
https://www.facebook.com/police.thinblueline/photos/a.10150579726937372.406782.100391647371/10153869458877372/?type=3&theater

And yes, because of it, I am seriously thinking of deleting my Facebook account permanently.
Reading those anonymous comments does make one a lot more misanthropic.

I agree leaving Facebook is probably best for more peace of mind.

 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
16,342
Reaction score
144
Points
63
Location
Detroit
Website
uocofusa.org
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Facebook locked me out of my account for having the audacity to put 'Fr' in front of my name and thus complicate their Google Analytics while collecting my data for advertising sales purposes.  They demanded to see my ID.

It was on Holy Saturday.

I'm not often one to do this, but I took it as a sign from Above. 

Here where I live, I don't even need an ID to vote, but somehow Facebook is so important that Marc Zuckerberg needs a copy of my drivers license to keep FB 'safe.'

FB is now safer without me.

On that note, I'd say that this entire thread is a cover for a poorly conceived OP.

It also demonstrates why mayo should never be used on a ham sandwich.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Age
35
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
I agree that most people have no good reason to use facebook, I only go on mine like once a month. But I don't think one can say that it's just a microcosm even if only because of the ways in which anonymity encourages people to behave like bigger jerks than they would in real life.


And yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of my saying this on a message board that's even more anonymous than FB is. I may stop posting here in the not too distant future, too. It isn't good for me in a variety of ways.
 

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
6,604
Reaction score
418
Points
83
Age
37
Is it even possible to delete your Facebook account??  I never found that button.  I deactivated it years ago, but all I have to do to get it back is log in.  ::)
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
10
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Maria, why did you post that image in the OP? Be honest.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
I rarely see this nonsense on Facebook because the company I keep does not post it.
It is when I hit an outside news link, like ABC, NBC or CNN, that I see these horrible sorts of things.

For example, I clicked a news story on Walmart where multiple distasteful comments were posted. Never again. That store has problems, and it is for this reason that my husband and I refuse to shop there.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Maria said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
I rarely see this nonsense on Facebook because the company I keep does not post it.
It is when I hit a outside news link, like ABC, NBC or CNN, that I see these horrible sorts of things.

For example, I clicked a news story on Walmart where multiple distasteful comments were posted. Never again. That store has problems, and it is for this reason that my husband and I refuse to shop there.
I really doubt CNN shares insulting and, what is more important, unintelligent memes. Try again, maybe "received that on email".
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Iconodule said:
Maria, why did you post that image in the OP? Be honest.
After my husband's stroke, I was feeling like that old lady -- exhausted, lacking sleep, sick and still recovering from the Norovirus.

However, after I posted that image, and viewed the atrocious dialog concerning Walmart's shopping carts, then I realized how wicked the Nazi genocide agenda is, including their plan to generate hated and to promote euthanasia of the elderly, the sick, the handicapped, and the disabled as the newest laws in Denmark are doing.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
mike said:
Maria said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
I rarely see this nonsense on Facebook because the company I keep does not post it.
It is when I hit a outside news link, like ABC, NBC or CNN, that I see these horrible sorts of things.

For example, I clicked a news story on Walmart where multiple distasteful comments were posted. Never again. That store has problems, and it is for this reason that my husband and I refuse to shop there.
I really doubt CNN shares insulting and, what is more important, unintelligent memes. Try again, maybe "received that on email".
It was not received via email, I can assure you.
I would have blocked that person if I had received it via email or facebook.
 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
16,342
Reaction score
144
Points
63
Location
Detroit
Website
uocofusa.org
Maria said:
Iconodule said:
Maria, why did you post that image in the OP? Be honest.
After my husband's stroke, I was feeling like that old lady -- exhausted, lacking sleep, sick and still recovering from the Norovirus.

However, after I posted that image, and viewed the atrocious dialog concerning Walmart's shopping carts, then I realized how wicked the Nazi genocide agenda is, including their plan to generate hated and to promote euthanasia of the elderly, the sick, the handicapped, and the disabled as the newest laws in Denmark are doing.
Walmart is doing that?

What Walmart do you shop at?

I love Walmart.  Great prices on plants and stuff.  I don't go often, but, when I do....there's ALWAYS either an elderly or handicapped individual acting as a greeter....and they look alive.

In fact, upon speaking with some, they are happy to have the job that gets them out of the house and allows them the opportunity of socializing with so many people.

Meijer Grocers does the same thing.  They have handicapped greeters...usually in wheelchairs, who would otherwise not have a job.

I don't know any politics revolving round Walmart.  The people working there aren't forced to work there...so, it cannot be all that bad.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Age
35
Maria said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
I rarely see this nonsense on Facebook because the company I keep does not post it.
It is when I hit an outside news link, like ABC, NBC or CNN, that I see these horrible sorts of things.

For example, I clicked a news story on Walmart where multiple distasteful comments were posted. Never again. That store has problems, and it is for this reason that my husband and I refuse to shop there.
Wait. How does a bunch of idiots being idiotic on a story about Walmart reflect badly on Walmart itself?
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Maria said:
mike said:
Maria said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
This was posted on Facebook along with some other horrible comments about Walmart customers.

Because of this blatant lack of charity on Facebook, their policy of not allowing monastics, priests, and deacons to use their religious title and name, and other unchristian Facebook policies, some Orthodox Priests are encouraging their parishioners to close their Facebook accounts permanently.
...and yet you decide to do the very thing you say you despise...and repost that vitrial to this site.

Facebook is just a microcosm of this world we live in. If your priest tells you to stay off Facebook, then he's probably telling you to just exit this world, as well. Go and live as a hermit, far on a hilltop.

I am on Facebook, and I hardly see this type of nonsense. Perhaps that's because I don't look for it....or perhaps it is due to the people I "friend", who have similar morals, beliefs and ethics as I do...and don't post such cruel things.

In the end, I guess it all comes down to what type of company you keep.
I rarely see this nonsense on Facebook because the company I keep does not post it.
It is when I hit a outside news link, like ABC, NBC or CNN, that I see these horrible sorts of things.

For example, I clicked a news story on Walmart where multiple distasteful comments were posted. Never again. That store has problems, and it is for this reason that my husband and I refuse to shop there.
I really doubt CNN shares insulting and, what is more important, unintelligent memes. Try again, maybe "received that on email".
It was not received via email, I can assure you.
I would have blocked that person if I had received it via email or facebook.
Should we put you on ignore for sharing it here?  ;)
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
Iconodule said:
Maria, why did you post that image in the OP? Be honest.
After my husband's stroke, I was feeling like that old lady -- exhausted, lacking sleep, sick and still recovering from the Norovirus.

However, after I posted that image, and viewed the atrocious dialog concerning Walmart's shopping carts, then I realized how wicked the Nazi genocide agenda is, including their plan to generate hated and to promote euthanasia of the elderly, the sick, the handicapped, and the disabled as the newest laws in Denmark are doing.
Walmart is doing that?
No, Denmark is promoting euthanasia of any disabled infants and adults. Children as young as five can be euthanized by doctors without parental consent if the Denmark doctors deem that these children are able to consent. See the teal-emphasized part of my post above.

 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Maria said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
Iconodule said:
Maria, why did you post that image in the OP? Be honest.
After my husband's stroke, I was feeling like that old lady -- exhausted, lacking sleep, sick and still recovering from the Norovirus.

However, after I posted that image, and viewed the atrocious dialog concerning Walmart's shopping carts, then I realized how wicked the Nazi genocide agenda is, including their plan to generate hated and to promote euthanasia of the elderly, the sick, the handicapped, and the disabled as the newest laws in Denmark are doing.
Walmart is doing that?
No, Denmark is promoting euthanasia of any disabled infants and adults. Children as young as five can be euthanized by doctors without parental consent if the Denmark doctors deem that these children are able to consent. See the teal-emphasized part of my post above.
That has nothing to do with your OP though.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,585
Reaction score
331
Points
83
Lego is headquartered in Denmark, so this simply cannot be true.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
10
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Maria said:
However, after I posted that image, and viewed the atrocious dialog concerning Walmart's shopping carts, then I realized how wicked the Nazi genocide agenda is
And just in time too!
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Volnutt said:
Wait. How does a bunch of idiots being idiotic on a story about Walmart reflect badly on Walmart itself?
I visited a Walmart in Las Vegas, Nevada, and then one in Phoenix, Arizona. Never again.

Same problems in both stores. Sales people did not know which end was up because most of them were new on the job, but I must give them an A for effort as they really tried.

The customers were the main problem as many were wearing PJs, or gym shorts and tank tops to the store, or less with their ear glued to their cell phones or their eyes fixated on their smart phones as they bumped into cascading displays of merchandise. Their language was obscene as they wanted news sales clerks to help them now ahead of any other customers who were patiently waiting. It was like a zoo, but these human inhabitants were more unruly.

The product Walmart carried was largely junk and poorly constructed. Many boxes of merchandise were ripped open with pieces missing. Although Walmart had lots of product, the product was mostly packed like 7-11 stores, in small quantities, so purchasing items there was more costly than shopping at Costco, where volume discounts are plentiful.

I was not impressed.

However, the comments made by Walmart customers on facebook take the cake.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Maria said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Maria said:
Iconodule said:
Maria, why did you post that image in the OP? Be honest.
After my husband's stroke, I was feeling like that old lady -- exhausted, lacking sleep, sick and still recovering from the Norovirus.

However, after I posted that image, and viewed the atrocious dialog concerning Walmart's shopping carts, then I realized how wicked the Nazi genocide agenda is, including their plan to generate hated and to promote euthanasia of the elderly, the sick, the handicapped, and the disabled as the newest laws in Denmark are doing.
Walmart is doing that?
No, Denmark is promoting euthanasia of any disabled infants and adults. Children as young as five can be euthanized by doctors without parental consent if the Denmark doctors deem that these children are able to consent. See the teal-emphasized part of my post above.
My mistake, Belgium not Denmark is promoting euthanasia of any disabled infants and adults. Children as young as five can be euthanized by doctors even without parental consent if the Begium doctors deem that these children are able to consent. Legal representatives can overrule any decisions made by parents.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/13/belgium-law-extends-euthanasia-children-all-ages
 
Top